Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

Default Generating green light using a 510 nm AC current

Hi:

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Is it possible to
generate green light using an AC electric current that has frequency
high enough to have a wavelength of 510 nm? Has this ever been done
before?

AFAIK, an AC current generates electromagnetic waves of the same
frequency of the current. In USA, electric power generators radiate 60
Hz photons. I would think it is possible to produce green light using
an AC current that has a frequency of 510 nm. Am I right?

Thanks,

Radium

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

On 10/7/06 22:43, in article
, "Radium"
wrote:

Hi:

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Is it possible to
generate green light using an AC electric current that has frequency
high enough to have a wavelength of 510 nm? Has this ever been done
before?

AFAIK, an AC current generates electromagnetic waves of the same
frequency of the current. In USA, electric power generators radiate 60
Hz photons. I would think it is possible to produce green light using
an AC current that has a frequency of 510 nm. Am I right?

Calculate the required frequency.

--

Relf's Law? -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
"Bull**** repeated to the limit of infinity asymptotically approaches

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

On 10 Jul 2006 14:43:51 -0700, "Radium" wrote:

Hi:

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Is it possible to
generate green light using an AC electric current that has frequency
high enough to have a wavelength of 510 nm? Has this ever been done
before?

AFAIK, an AC current generates electromagnetic waves of the same
frequency of the current. In USA, electric power generators radiate 60
Hz photons. I would think it is possible to produce green light using
an AC current that has a frequency of 510 nm. Am I right?

Thanks,

Radium

In theory it should work - build an oscillator that works at that
frequency and it would give off light. Hertz proved the connection
with his experiments with microwaves. The same techniques used to
reflect and refract light work with radio waves

Now for practical considerations . . . Think about how small 510
nanometers really is. The resonant cavity in a magnetron, as a way to
generate light, would have to be on the order of 510 nm. Not possible
with present technology and not likely to be in the near future.

Someday, perhaps a shortcut could be found - will it replace other
light sources?

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

"default" wrote in message
Now for practical considerations . . . Think about how small 510
nanometers really is. The resonant cavity in a magnetron, as a way to
generate light, would have to be on the order of 510 nm.

Meh, only about 4,000 silicon (or copper) atoms.

You could even use a stock atomic force scanning, tunneling microscope probe
as an emitter.

Construct a couple million of these moderately large molecules, hook them up
to some carbon nanotubes and you've got a pretty nice LED I'm guessing.

Ooh, and it could even be tweaked into a phased array I bet...the
possibilities are kickass...

Tim
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

Radium wrote:
Hi:

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Is it possible to
generate green light using an AC electric current that has frequency
high enough to have a wavelength of 510 nm? Has this ever been done
before?

AFAIK, an AC current generates electromagnetic waves of the same
frequency of the current. In USA, electric power generators radiate 60
Hz photons. I would think it is possible to produce green light using
an AC current that has a frequency of 510 nm. Am I right?

Thanks,

Radium

http://www.google.com/search?q=terah...start =0&sa=N

Sue...

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

Radium wrote:
Hi:

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Is it possible to
generate green light using an AC electric current that has frequency
high enough to have a wavelength of 510 nm? Has this ever been done
before?

AFAIK, an AC current generates electromagnetic waves of the same
frequency of the current. In USA, electric power generators radiate 60
Hz photons. I would think it is possible to produce green light using
an AC current that has a frequency of 510 nm. Am I right?

Thanks,

Radium

See: http://www.google.com/search?q=c%2F510nm
Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

"Radium" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi:

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Is it possible to
generate green light using an AC electric current that has frequency
high enough to have a wavelength of 510 nm? Has this ever been done
before?

AFAIK, an AC current generates electromagnetic waves of the same
frequency of the current. In USA, electric power generators radiate 60
Hz photons.

go the other way, use a large 1 Hz generator to generate a Giant Fat 1Hz
Photon

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

"Radium" wrote in message
oups.com...

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Is it possible to
generate green light using an AC electric current that has frequency
high enough to have a wavelength of 510 nm? Has this ever been done
before?

Light is electromagnetic radiation, right? An "AC electric
current that has frequency high enough to have a wavelength
of 510 nm" would BE green light. You need to think about
how high-frequency AC (meaning radio frequencies and
higher) actually gets piped around.

Bob M.

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

Bob Myers wrote:
"Radium" wrote in message
oups.com...

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Is it possible to
generate green light using an AC electric current that has frequency
high enough to have a wavelength of 510 nm? Has this ever been done
before?

Light is electromagnetic radiation, right?

Light is electromagnetic radiation, yes. However, light is not
electricity. Electricity and electromagnetism are two totally different
things.

An "AC electric
current that has frequency high enough to have a wavelength
of 510 nm" would BE green light.

No. The human eye cannot see electric current. It can see
electromagnetic radiation at the "visible light" range of frequencies.
However, electric current -- at any frequency -- is always invisible to
the human eye.

Think of a sound analogy. We can hear mechanical vibrations between
20-20K hz approx. However, we cannot hear electric current at any
frequency, can we.

Just like that, we can see electromagnetic radiation in the "visibile
light" frequencies but we cannot see their electrical equivalent.

Electricity by itself is totally invisible and inaudible.

You need to think about
how high-frequency AC (meaning radio frequencies and
higher) actually gets piped around.

Bob M.

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

In sci.physics Radium wrote:
Hi:

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Is it possible to
generate green light using an AC electric current that has frequency
high enough to have a wavelength of 510 nm? Has this ever been done
before?

AFAIK, an AC current generates electromagnetic waves of the same
frequency of the current. In USA, electric power generators radiate 60
Hz photons. I would think it is possible to produce green light using
an AC current that has a frequency of 510 nm. Am I right?

Thanks,

Radium

Sure, you just need really small tools to put the antenna together...

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

Norm Grimpo wrote:
"Radium" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi:

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Is it possible to
generate green light using an AC electric current that has frequency
high enough to have a wavelength of 510 nm? Has this ever been done
before?

AFAIK, an AC current generates electromagnetic waves of the same
frequency of the current. In USA, electric power generators radiate 60
Hz photons.

go the other way, use a large 1 Hz generator to generate a Giant Fat 1Hz
Photon

I just messed my pants from laughing too hard.

Thank you.
Markus.

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

Phineas T Puddleduck wrote:
On 11/7/06 03:04, in article
, "Radium"
wrote:

crap

Some helpful advice if you are thinking of going into physics.

Don't.

I was pointing out to Bob Myers that we cannot see electric current
even if it oscillates at a frequency in the "visible light" range. What
is so incorrect about that?

If an electric current oscillates at a frequency in the "visible light"
spectrum, then we can see photons emitted as a result of the
oscillating electric current but we can't see the electric current
itself. Am I right?

[...]

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

In article . com,
Radium wrote:

Phineas T Puddleduck wrote:
On 11/7/06 03:04, in article
, "Radium"
wrote:

crap

Some helpful advice if you are thinking of going into physics.

Don't.

I was pointing out to Bob Myers that we cannot see electric current
even if it oscillates at a frequency in the "visible light" range. What
is so incorrect about that?

If an electric current oscillates at a frequency in the "visible light"
spectrum, then we can see photons emitted as a result of the
oscillating electric current but we can't see the electric current
itself. Am I right?

Lets just say that your previous musings on science have been less than
inspiring.

[...]

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

wrote:

Hi:

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Is it possible to
generate green light using an AC electric current that has frequency
high enough to have a wavelength of 510 nm? Has this ever been done
before?

AFAIK, an AC current generates electromagnetic waves of the same
frequency of the current. In USA, electric power generators radiate 60
Hz photons. I would think it is possible to produce green light using
an AC current that has a frequency of 510 nm. Am I right?

Thanks,

Radium

Try:

http://www.nsls.bnl.gov/about/history/

for a description of visible synchrotron radiation.

Regards,

Bill Ward
Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

On 2006-07-10, Radium wrote:
Hi:

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Is it possible to
generate green light using an AC electric current that has frequency
high enough to have a wavelength of 510 nm?

In theory

Has this ever been done before?

You'd need a frequency of around 580THz.

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

On a sunny day (10 Jul 2006 14:43:51 -0700) it happened "Radium"
wrote in
.com:

Hi:

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Is it possible to
generate green light using an AC electric current that has frequency
high enough to have a wavelength of 510 nm? Has this ever been done
before?

AFAIK, an AC current generates electromagnetic waves of the same
frequency of the current. In USA, electric power generators radiate 60
Hz photons. I would think it is possible to produce green light using
an AC current that has a frequency of 510 nm. Am I right?

Boring twit...
'nm' is a size, so and frequency is expressed in Hz.

So does your car go 10 cycles per gallon?

So you are talking about a _wavelength_ of 510nm.
1 meter = 300 MHz = 300 000 000 Hz
1 nm = 300 000 000 000 000 000 Hz (nano is a factor 10^-9) = 300 000 Tera Hertz
T M K

Now maybe you think you can buy a a 300 000 THz xtal... hehe ;-)

Anyways you can make 510 nm wavelength with 60 Hz AC:
Just use 6V 60Hz and a 510nm LED, and a series resistor.

Wow, also works with DC.
Without a series resistor it will work for a shorter time,

Now for a start try to calculate for a peak current of 20mA and a 1.5V
drop in the LED, and LET US KNOW before your next space science idea.

Any math ****ups here are intended

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

Radium wrote:
Hi:

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Is it possible to
generate green light using an AC electric current that has frequency
high enough to have a wavelength of 510 nm? Has this ever been done
before?

AFAIK, an AC current generates electromagnetic waves of the same
frequency of the current. In USA, electric power generators radiate 60
Hz photons. I would think it is possible to produce green light using
an AC current that has a frequency of 510 nm. Am I right?

Thanks,

Radium

1m = c.sec/299,792,458

This is the new definition of the meter. Far more accurate than
scratches on a bar in Paris. This is approached using non linear
dielectrics and beat frequencies rather that Terahertz AC directly.
Distance can be much more accurately measured using an interferometer
than by any other method. Beats can be directly converted into AC but
not light directly.

In communicaton Terahertz fibers work on the principle of having a
number of lasers each with a slightly different frequency. You have
just GHz on each laser.

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (10 Jul 2006 14:43:51 -0700) it happened "Radium"
wrote in
.com:

Hi:

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Is it possible to
generate green light using an AC electric current that has frequency
high enough to have a wavelength of 510 nm? Has this ever been done
before?

AFAIK, an AC current generates electromagnetic waves of the same
frequency of the current. In USA, electric power generators radiate 60
Hz photons. I would think it is possible to produce green light using
an AC current that has a frequency of 510 nm. Am I right?

Boring twit...
'nm' is a size, so and frequency is expressed in Hz.

Yes. What I was trying to say is an "AC current whose frequency is high
enough to directly produce electromagnetic radiation of a wavelength of
510 nm".

Sorry for the misinformation.

So does your car go 10 cycles per gallon?

So you are talking about a _wavelength_ of 510nm.
1 meter = 300 MHz = 300 000 000 Hz
1 nm = 300 000 000 000 000 000 Hz (nano is a factor 10^-9) = 300 000 Tera Hertz
T M K

Now maybe you think you can buy a a 300 000 THz xtal... hehe ;-)

Anyways you can make 510 nm wavelength with 60 Hz AC:
Just use 6V 60Hz and a 510nm LED, and a series resistor.

Wow, also works with DC.
Without a series resistor it will work for a shorter time,

Now for a start try to calculate for a peak current of 20mA and a 1.5V
drop in the LED, and LET US KNOW before your next space science idea.

Any math ****ups here are intended

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

wrote:

Hi:

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Is it possible to
generate green light using an AC electric current that has frequency
high enough to have a wavelength of 510 nm? Has this ever been done
before?

AFAIK, an AC current generates electromagnetic waves of the same
frequency of the current. In USA, electric power generators radiate 60
Hz photons. I would think it is possible to produce green light using
an AC current that has a frequency of 510 nm. Am I right?

Thanks,

Radium

Try:

http://www.nsls.bnl.gov/about/history/

for a description of visible synchrotron radiation.

Regards,

Bill Ward

Is it practical to make synchrotron lasers? A synchrotron laser use a
synchrotron as the source that emits light. The synchrotron is inside
the laser. The laser has two mirrors on each end. One is a
full-reflective mirror, the other is a partial-silvered mirror that
partially reflects and partially lets light out. Light of a certain
wavelength is emitted from the synchrotron, this light hits both
mirrors thereby reflecting continuously, the coherent light then leaves
the partial-silvered mirror.

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

"Radium" wrote in message
ups.com...

Bob Myers wrote:
"Radium" wrote in message
oups.com...

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Is it possible to
generate green light using an AC electric current that has frequency
high enough to have a wavelength of 510 nm? Has this ever been done
before?

Light is electromagnetic radiation, right?

Light is electromagnetic radiation, yes. However, light is not
electricity.

Correct - but you conveniently missed the rest of my
comments, apparently. Which we

You need to think about
how high-frequency AC (meaning radio frequencies and
higher) actually gets piped around.

Again, you DO need to think really hard about
how HIGH-FREQUENCY (RF, microwaves, etc.) EM is
normally routed around. Is it "electricity," or is it better viewed
as a situation involving guided EM waves? Both models have
their advantages, but you'll find that as you get higher and
higher in frequency, the latter becomes much more useful -
certainly by the time you're NEEDING things like coaxial
cables and certainly waveguides.

If you're making electrons wiggle such that you're talking
a 510 nm free-space wavelength, expect to have green
light involved...

Bob M.

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

"Radium" wrote in message
ups.com...

I was pointing out to Bob Myers that we cannot see electric current
even if it oscillates at a frequency in the "visible light" range. What
is so incorrect about that?

Simply that you clearly do not understand the relationship
between what you're calling "electric current" and
"electromagnetic radiation." These two are not the clearly-
distinguished things that you seem to think they are, esp.
at the very high frequencies.

Bob M.

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

Bill Ward wrote:

Try:

http://www.nsls.bnl.gov/about/history/

for a description of visible synchrotron radiation.

My favorite light show:
http://zpinch.sandia.gov/

Bill Ward

Best, Dan.

--
"We need an energy policy that encourages consumption"
George W. Bush.

"Conservation may be a sign of personal virtue, but it is not a
sufficient basis for a sound, comprehensive energy policy."
Vice President Dick Cheney

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:35:48 GMT, Dan Bloomquist
wrote:

snip

My favorite light show:
http://zpinch.sandia.gov/

Best, Dan.

Thanks, Dan. That's a very nice link. I wasn't even aware
of the work on fusion with the Z machine.

As an aside - I wonder what the image exposure time was.

Regards,

Bill Ward
Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

wrote:

[...]

First find out what a synchrotron is and why it radiates.
Then maybe you can ask a question that makes more sense.

Regards,

Bill Ward

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

wrote:

snip

My favorite light show:
http://zpinch.sandia.gov/

Best, Dan.

Thanks, Dan. That's a very nice link. I wasn't even aware
of the work on fusion with the Z machine.

As an aside - I wonder what the image exposure time was.

Hi Bill,
My guess is that they open the shutter and pull the trigger.

From this:
http://www.sandia.gov/media/z290.htm

They are dumping 10kwh into the load in just some billionths of a
second. That is some short flash for such a large construct.

Bill Ward

Best, Dan.

--
"We need an energy policy that encourages consumption"
George W. Bush.

"Conservation may be a sign of personal virtue, but it is not a
sufficient basis for a sound, comprehensive energy policy."
Vice President Dick Cheney

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

Basically the process used for laser diodes to make light is the same as for
the Magnetron tubes for microwave.
Got enough newsgroups in the list? Bet you're on the alt.electronics NG
which I don't have.
--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:30:48 GMT, "Bob Myers"
wrote:

"Radium" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bob Myers wrote:
"Radium" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

I've been reading this thread and the above answer made me think of a
question. I'm a rank amateur so I hope this question isn't too silly
but here goes: When an antenna is used to recieve radio waves is it
the same as using a transparent material, fiber optic for example, to
recieve visible light? Or even a good anology?
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

"Mark Fortune" wrote in message
Hmm, if light travels at a nice round figure of 300,000,000m/s, a 510nm
wavelength has a frequency of 300,000,000 / 0.00000051 =
588,235,294,117,647Hz = 588.24THz (is that right? ive only just woken up
so my maths is a little shakey). Now that's a pretty crazy frequency to
run any electronics project at if you ask me, and I suspect that unless
you were using some exotic superconducting material, you would have a
massive problem with inductance and capacitance in your good old copper
wires. might work on silicon though I dont know.

Well, that's kinda the point - in part, at least. But what I was
trying to get across to our "friend" Radium is that the higher
you go in frequency, the worse the model of "electricity is the
movement of electrons in conductors" looks, and the better the
model of "the metal bits are just there to guide the EM" looks -
and eventually you get to the point where you're basically
seeing everything as a waveguide. (Or another way to look
at it - the higher the frequency, the shorter the distance you
want to carry "electrical" signals in conductors, and the more
you rely on "pipes" to carry the signal long distances.) The
point of "you really need to be using a waveguide to carry this
any distance at all" happens at a frequency that's still considerably
below that form of EM that we call "visible light," but there is
really no difference in *kind* between light and a microwave RF
signal. Hence the earlier comment that if you somehow COULD
be making "electricity" with a wavelength of 510 nm, it WOULD
already result in "green light."

Bob M.

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

Bob Myers wrote:

[...]

But you don't have a handle on the reality????

--
"We need an energy policy that encourages consumption"
George W. Bush.

"Conservation may be a sign of personal virtue, but it is not a
sufficient basis for a sound, comprehensive energy policy."
Vice President Dick Cheney

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

Radium wrote:

Hi:

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Is it possible to
generate green light using an AC electric current that has frequency
high enough to have a wavelength of 510 nm? Has this ever been done
before?

AFAIK, an AC current generates electromagnetic waves of the same
frequency of the current. In USA, electric power generators radiate 60
Hz photons. I would think it is possible to produce green light using
an AC current that has a frequency of 510 nm. Am I right?

There have been zillions of replies which all miss the point entirely.
It is of no practical use to make green light with high frequency AC
current - what you need is a steady green light which is best
(steadiest) using smoothed DC.
For this a green source of DC electricity is required - viable methods
of producing green electricity is currently attracting much attention
and research funding throughout the western world.
I am sure it will not be long before such green electricity is
commonplace.

What, I am sure, Radium has cleverly alluded to (and hence started the
discussion upon) is the fact that upon the arrival of plentiful green
electricity, and hence green light, the world will look a very odd
place : in fact it will look green when sunlight is not available.
This is (I am sure) Radiums point.
Many are involved in the search for truly green electricity but we
really also need red and blue counterparts to produce white light and
all its variants.
NOBODY APPEARS TO BE RESEARCHING INTO RED AND BLUE ELECTRICITY. We must
act now before it is too late

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

RHRRC wrote:
Radium wrote:

[...]

The demise of the eastern block has pretty much ended research into red
electricity, although some interesting work continues to comes out of
the more hard line schools in China. Blue electricity however, is just
too sad to contemplate.

--
jeff
Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

jeff wrote:
RHRRC wrote:
Radium wrote:

[...]

I am sure that were there sufficient a number of eminent scientists
charged with working on the problem both red and blue electricity would
come to one or more of them in a flash.

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

"jeff" wrote in message
RHRRC wrote:
Radium wrote:

[...]

I think you'll find that blue electricity is easy to generate. The problem
is that it doesn't interact well with fuses.

Tim Ward

Posted to sci.physics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.energy,sci.optics,alt.electronics

RHRRC wrote:
Radium wrote:

[...]

By "blue" electricity, I assume you are talking about the bluish-white
light that is generated when electricity is at a high-enough voltage to
pass through air. As the current passes through the air, the air heats
up to temperatures adequate enough to produce a bluish-white light.
This light, however, is incandescent, and nothing to do with the
production of light I am referring to. When I was talking about
electrically-generating 510 nm light, my description was to use an AC
generator that outputs extremely high frequency AC current that gives
of electromagnetic waves at 510 nm. As other posters have pointed out,
the electric current would have to change direction [alternate] at
around 580 trillion times a second. AC current almost always produces
electromagnetic radiation at the same frequency.

OT - Green Light Cliff Metalworking 0 March 9th 06 02:42 PM
Sony CPD-E200 monitor: blinking GREEN power light Michael Electronics Repair 1 June 25th 05 01:34 AM
Changing a light bulb on R.C.M Tom Gardner Metalworking 24 June 6th 04 12:58 AM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
O-T light bulb Fuddzy Woodworking 2 January 15th 04 04:43 PM