Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning carbon off non stick pans

O.K. it shouldn't be there.

Google hasn't given me much help.

I am trying the soaking in a biological washing liquid, but this doesn't
seem to be shifting it very much.

Has anyone a good method of cleaning accumulated carbon off non-stick frying
pans to restore the non-stickability or at least reduce the stickability?

If it was a normal pan I'd just replace it, but it is an electric frying pan
so the replacement cost is much higher.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2011 21:45, David WE Roberts wrote:
O.K. it shouldn't be there.

Google hasn't given me much help.

I am trying the soaking in a biological washing liquid, but this doesn't
seem to be shifting it very much.

Has anyone a good method of cleaning accumulated carbon off non-stick
frying pans to restore the non-stickability or at least reduce the
stickability?

If it was a normal pan I'd just replace it, but it is an electric frying
pan so the replacement cost is much higher.

Cheers

Dave R

add water (and or a touch of washing up liquid) and let it heat up? It
has probably lost its non-stickability

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/4/2011 4:45 PM, David WE Roberts wrote:
O.K. it shouldn't be there.

Google hasn't given me much help.

I am trying the soaking in a biological washing liquid, but this doesn't
seem to be shifting it very much.

Has anyone a good method of cleaning accumulated carbon off non-stick
frying pans to restore the non-stickability or at least reduce the
stickability?

If it was a normal pan I'd just replace it, but it is an electric frying
pan so the replacement cost is much higher.

I use bicarb/baking soda. Use a barely damp sponge dipped into dry
baking soda.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually not far off you will I suspect find its carbon down to the metal.
I think these devices get localised heating as they get old and this cracks
the non stick and then its only a matter of time before the inevitable
happens. New pan is probably the only solution or you will be scrubbing it
for ever until the element or thermostat dies.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"Gazz" wrote in message ...

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
O.K. it shouldn't be there.

Google hasn't given me much help.

I am trying the soaking in a biological washing liquid, but this doesn't
seem to be shifting it very much.

Has anyone a good method of cleaning accumulated carbon off non-stick
frying pans to restore the non-stickability or at least reduce the
stickability?

angle grinder?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
What exactly has carbonised?
If its the non stick itself then you are stuffed.

IME nothing takes hard carbon off anything except abrasion.

Which is why I do not use non stick pans any more..the average life is
about 1 week. Until they get crapped up beyond the power to remove the
crap without destroying the non stick.

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
What exactly has carbonised?
If its the non stick itself then you are stuffed.

IME nothing takes hard carbon off anything except abrasion.

What is 'hard carbon' anyway? Sadly, it's not diamond, or we'd all be rich,
but it's not graphite either, as that's soft stuff that would wipe away
easily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 5, 10:32*am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
What exactly has carbonised?
*If its the non stick itself then you are stuffed.

IME nothing takes hard carbon off anything except abrasion.

Which is why I do not use non stick pans any more..the average life is
about 1 week. Until they get crapped up beyond the power to remove the
crap without destroying the non stick.

Brian

Nothing removes it completely, but it is possible to remove some of it
IME. When non-stick comes out of the dishwasher still hot, the crud is
softened, and careful scraping with a fingernail slowly removes it -
too slowly to remove a lot each time. I've not found any other type of
scraper works.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
What exactly has carbonised?
If its the non stick itself then you are stuffed.

IME nothing takes hard carbon off anything except abrasion.

What is 'hard carbon' anyway? Sadly, it's not diamond, or we'd all be rich,
but it's not graphite either, as that's soft stuff that would wipe away
easily.

My guess is its a polymerised part of the fat with a high carbon content
but where all the free molecular ends that respond to alkali and soap
are simply absent

Probably some sort of ring compound resin..similar to whatever is in
bakelite :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2011 11:19, NT wrote:
On Dec 5, 10:32 am, The Natural
wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
What exactly has carbonised?
If its the non stick itself then you are stuffed.

IME nothing takes hard carbon off anything except abrasion.

Which is why I do not use non stick pans any more..the average life is
about 1 week. Until they get crapped up beyond the power to remove the
crap without destroying the non stick.

Brian

Nothing removes it completely, but it is possible to remove some of it
IME. When non-stick comes out of the dishwasher still hot, the crud is
softened, and careful scraping with a fingernail slowly removes it -
too slowly to remove a lot each time. I've not found any other type of
scraper works.

NT

Leave the pan in soak for an hour. The lifespan of ours is 5 years
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
On 05/12/2011 11:19, NT wrote:
On Dec 5, 10:32 am, The Natural
wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
What exactly has carbonised?
If its the non stick itself then you are stuffed.

IME nothing takes hard carbon off anything except abrasion.

Which is why I do not use non stick pans any more..the average life is
about 1 week. Until they get crapped up beyond the power to remove the
crap without destroying the non stick.

Brian

Nothing removes it completely, but it is possible to remove some of it
IME. When non-stick comes out of the dishwasher still hot, the crud is
softened, and careful scraping with a fingernail slowly removes it -
too slowly to remove a lot each time. I've not found any other type of
scraper works.

NT

Leave the pan in soak for an hour. The lifespan of ours is 5 years

I sioked some smoke damaged china for a week in every household chemical
known to man.

In the end it was down to abrasive pads..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
On 05/12/2011 11:19, NT wrote:
On Dec 5, 10:32 am, The Natural
wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

The most abrasive thing I ever use on non-stick is a nylon brush
(Vileda, not cheap but very long lasting). Curious that baked on animal
fats are easier to remove than veggie oil.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
What exactly has carbonised?
If its the non stick itself then you are stuffed.

IME nothing takes hard carbon off anything except abrasion.

What is 'hard carbon' anyway? Sadly, it's not diamond, or we'd all
be rich, but it's not graphite either, as that's soft stuff that
would wipe away easily.

My guess is its a polymerised part of the fat with a high carbon
content but where all the free molecular ends that respond to alkali
and soap are simply absent

Probably some sort of ring compound resin..similar to whatever is in
bakelite :-)

I wonder what's in oven cleaner? Some strong oxidising agent?

--
Register as an organ donor with the NHS online. It takes 1 minute and
saves you carrying an organ donor card with you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gazz wrote:
angle grinder?

Actually, that's exactly the idea I had years ago for cleaning frying
pans - some sort of super slow speed drill with a soft abrasive pad
pressed down onto the pan surface, with some sort of mechanism to
"wiggle" the pan slowly around to move the centre of cleaning around
the the surface. Bit like a lense grinding machine.

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
What exactly has carbonised?
If its the non stick itself then you are stuffed.

IME nothing takes hard carbon off anything except abrasion.
What is 'hard carbon' anyway? Sadly, it's not diamond, or we'd all
be rich, but it's not graphite either, as that's soft stuff that
would wipe away easily.

My guess is its a polymerised part of the fat with a high carbon
content but where all the free molecular ends that respond to alkali
and soap are simply absent

Probably some sort of ring compound resin..similar to whatever is in
bakelite :-)

I wonder what's in oven cleaner? Some strong oxidising agent?

Its pure caustic soda in a foaming agent.

It will get off 'brown' fat but not 'black' fat.

You need a fair amount of it to get off thick deposits, and its not kind
to aluminium. You need to wash anything down bloody well - a mild acid
like vinegar is a good tip - if food is going to come in contact.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
Gazz wrote:
angle grinder?

Actually, that's exactly the idea I had years ago for cleaning frying
pans - some sort of super slow speed drill with a soft abrasive pad
pressed down onto the pan surface, with some sort of mechanism to
"wiggle" the pan slowly around to move the centre of cleaning around
the the surface. Bit like a lense grinding machine.

I've been known to restore straight metal pans with wet and dry paper
followed up by valve grinding compound :-)

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
O.K. it shouldn't be there.

Google hasn't given me much help.

I am trying the soaking in a biological washing liquid, but this doesn't
seem to be shifting it very much.

Has anyone a good method of cleaning accumulated carbon off non-stick
frying pans to restore the non-stickability or at least reduce the
stickability?

If it was a normal pan I'd just replace it, but it is an electric frying
pan so the replacement cost is much higher.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I think I am stuck (!) with some carbon on there.
I cooked it several times with a solution of bio washing liquid (for washing
clothes) and this, combined with a nylon scrub, seemed to shift some but it
would probably take a week to shift it all and would also remove the
non-stick.

Perhaps a few sauces which are heavy on the tomato might help.
Red hot chili?

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 19:52:11 -0000, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
O.K. it shouldn't be there.

Google hasn't given me much help.

I am trying the soaking in a biological washing liquid, but this doesn't
seem to be shifting it very much.

Has anyone a good method of cleaning accumulated carbon off non-stick
frying pans to restore the non-stickability or at least reduce the
stickability?

If it was a normal pan I'd just replace it, but it is an electric frying
pan so the replacement cost is much higher.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I think I am stuck (!) with some carbon on there.
I cooked it several times with a solution of bio washing liquid (for washing
clothes) and this, combined with a nylon scrub, seemed to shift some but it
would probably take a week to shift it all and would also remove the
non-stick.

Never mind - charcoal's good for you :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote:
[...]

I recall from somewhere that cooking turkey twizlers was supposed to be
good for stripping baked on carbon off of pans. No idea why or whether they
are still available.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The most abrasive thing I ever use on non-stick is a nylon brush
(Vileda, not cheap but very long lasting). Curious that baked on animal
fats are easier to remove than veggie oil.

For cooked veggie oil the thing is Doktor Power (Macro or Amazon)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim wrote:
"David WE Roberts" wrote:
[...]

:-)

coke, which has phosphoric acid in it is a useful chemical
there ought to be a wiki on acids around te kitchen

acetic - vinegar and lemons?
citric in citrus fruits
oxalic - rhubarb, especially the leaves.
phosphoric - coke.
Whats in tomatoes?
(Also tamarind as a very different sort of 'sour' in it..
Tastes like vitamin C tablets.)
Sulphamic - descalers.
Formic - descalers.
Hydrochloric, vomit and brick acid/patio cleaner
Sulphuric - drain cleaner..

Sadly for fat removal alkalis are more use..

soaking a pan in neat caustic soda with JUST enough water to dissolve
it, for several says is a good start.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

Has anyone a good method of cleaning accumulated carbon off non-stick
frying pans to restore the non-stickability or at least reduce the stickability?

soaking a pan in neat caustic soda with JUST enough water to dissolve
it, for several says is a good start.

Def not a good idea for non-stick coated aluminium, any pits in the
non-stick and the caustic will open up a cavity under the coating,
ruining the pan.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
What exactly has carbonised?
*If its the non stick itself then you are stuffed.

IME nothing takes hard carbon off anything except abrasion.

Bleach. Works for me every time.

(Wife wanted, must be good cook. Or able to breathe without
assistance, (some ability to cook preferred.))
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I use 91% rubbing alcohol to clean guns before i switch to oil. Tried it on nonstick cookware this afternoon and it got most of the carbon off in 15 minutes of soaking and a little friction with a rubber bottle brush then a blue Scotch-Brite pad.

James