Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lavatory Pans

My wife and I as we increase in years find it more and more difficult
to use these low profile lavatories.

They may be all the vogue and an essential for 'modern' homes but are
the very devil to stand up from as the joints sieze up!

We have been looking and asking in B&Q, Bathstore, Homebase, General
plumbers etc. to obtain the old, dare I say it, 'Bog standard loo'!

Nobody appears to stock such items any longer!

Can anyone suggest an online supplier, we have tried using Google etc.
but it always comes up as the so called 'modern' design!

Regards, Peter Charles Fagg
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

petercharlesfagg wrote:
My wife and I as we increase in years find it more and more difficult
to use these low profile lavatories.

They may be all the vogue and an essential for 'modern' homes but are
the very devil to stand up from as the joints sieze up!

We have been looking and asking in B&Q, Bathstore, Homebase, General
plumbers etc. to obtain the old, dare I say it, 'Bog standard loo'!

Nobody appears to stock such items any longer!

Can anyone suggest an online supplier, we have tried using Google etc.
but it always comes up as the so called 'modern' design!

I suggest that you have a look at the Blue Book - the online guide for
Armitage Shanks and Ideal Standard.

http://www.thebluebook.co.uk/

That page also has links to specific sites for their various brands -
may be easier to navigate than the full site.

Of course, it is a complete bodge, but you *could* mount the pan on a
step/shelf/platform. That would make it effectively higher (relative to
the floor) but other issues might get in the way (e.g. difficulty in
connecting up the soil pipe).

I also went to the RIBA site and searched. This produced the link below
- I have not gone through it but some links appeared to be possible. (I
am sure you don;t want to be considered "special needs" - I don't - but
reality might say this is how to locate the product you do want.)

http://www.ribaproductselector.com/Search.aspx?ac=&sc=pg%3d%3bso%3d1%3bany%3dspecial+ needs+toilet%3bsf%3d1%3bst%3d1%3bct%3d1%3btfc%3d-1%3btfp%3d-1%3btfw%3d-1%3btfco%3d-1%3btfa%3d-1

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 26, 11:06 am, petercharlesfagg
wrote:
My wife and I as we increase in years find it more and more difficult
to use these low profile lavatories.

They may be all the vogue and an essential for 'modern' homes but are
the very devil to stand up from as the joints sieze up!

We have been looking and asking in B&Q, Bathstore, Homebase, General
plumbers etc. to obtain the old, dare I say it, 'Bog standard loo'!

Nobody appears to stock such items any longer!

Can anyone suggest an online supplier, we have tried using Google etc.
but it always comes up as the so called 'modern' design!

Regards, Peter Charles Fagg

Go for a wall hung pan on a frame like
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=150249387602

You can mount the frame, and therefore the toilet at any height you
like. If you need to go higher than the adjustment in the frame, just
sit it on blocks - it will be concealed anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"petercharlesfagg" wrote in message
My wife and I as we increase in years find it more and more difficult
to use these low profile lavatories.

They may be all the vogue and an essential for 'modern' homes but are
the very devil to stand up from as the joints sieze up!

We have been looking and asking in B&Q, Bathstore, Homebase, General
plumbers etc. to obtain the old, dare I say it, 'Bog standard loo'!

Nobody appears to stock such items any longer!

Can anyone suggest an online supplier, we have tried using Google etc.
but it always comes up as the so called 'modern' design!

Just do what I did for my dad.. put the pan on a raised platform.
His is 3" higher than normal now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 May 2008 03:06:41 -0700 (PDT), petercharlesfagg
wrote:

My wife and I as we increase in years find it more and more difficult
to use these low profile lavatories.

They may be all the vogue and an essential for 'modern' homes but are
the very devil to stand up from as the joints sieze up!

That's why they have those toilet grab rails. Almost certainly cheaper
and less effort than having a new loo.

We have been looking and asking in B&Q, Bathstore, Homebase, General
plumbers etc. to obtain the old, dare I say it, 'Bog standard loo'!

Nobody appears to stock such items any longer!

Can anyone suggest an online supplier, we have tried using Google etc.
but it always comes up as the so called 'modern' design!

Regards, Peter Charles Fagg

--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My wife and I as we increase in years find it more and more difficult
to use these low profile lavatories.

They may be all the vogue and an essential for 'modern' homes but are
the very devil to stand up from as the joints sieze up!

That's why they have those toilet grab rails. Almost certainly cheaper
and less effort than having a new loo.

You can raise existing loos..
http://www.keepable.co.uk/product/sa...es-TL1033.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"petercharlesfagg" wrote in message
My wife and I as we increase in years find it more and more difficult
to use these low profile lavatories.

They may be all the vogue and an essential for 'modern' homes but are
the very devil to stand up from as the joints sieze up!

We have been looking and asking in B&Q, Bathstore, Homebase, General
plumbers etc. to obtain the old, dare I say it, 'Bog standard loo'!

Nobody appears to stock such items any longer!

Can anyone suggest an online supplier, we have tried using Google etc.
but it always comes up as the so called 'modern' design!

This may not be what you're looking for as a long term solution, but I
noticed one of these seat risers at a tea rooms we visited over the weekend

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RDK-Mobilit...ftidZ2QQt Zkm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"OG" wrote in message

"petercharlesfagg" wrote in message
My wife and I as we increase in years find it more and more difficult
to use these low profile lavatories.

They may be all the vogue and an essential for 'modern' homes but are
the very devil to stand up from as the joints sieze up!

We have been looking and asking in B&Q, Bathstore, Homebase, General
plumbers etc. to obtain the old, dare I say it, 'Bog standard loo'!

Nobody appears to stock such items any longer!

Can anyone suggest an online supplier, we have tried using Google etc.
but it always comes up as the so called 'modern' design!

try here.
http://www.fountaindirect.co.uk/cate...-designer.html

Ibought the extra height one when I refurbed the bathroom. I am tall and my
wide is disabled. all toilets I looked at were too low. I didn't buy from
here but locally to me.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dave" wrote:

"OG" wrote in message

"petercharlesfagg" wrote in message
My wife and I as we increase in years find it more and more difficult
to use these low profile lavatories.

They may be all the vogue and an essential for 'modern' homes but are
the very devil to stand up from as the joints sieze up!

We have been looking and asking in B&Q, Bathstore, Homebase, General
plumbers etc. to obtain the old, dare I say it, 'Bog standard loo'!

Nobody appears to stock such items any longer!

Can anyone suggest an online supplier, we have tried using Google etc.
but it always comes up as the so called 'modern' design!

try here.
http://www.fountaindirect.co.uk/cate...-designer.html

Ibought the extra height one when I refurbed the bathroom. I am tall and my
wide is disabled. all toilets I looked at were too low. I didn't buy from
here but locally to me.

Possibly a cheaper option is to buy an extended toilet seat:
http://www.auravita.com/products/AURA/TWEN19620.asp
http://www.independentliving.co.uk/a...toileting.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"dennis@home" writes:

"petercharlesfagg" wrote in message
My wife and I as we increase in years find it more and more difficult
to use these low profile lavatories.

They may be all the vogue and an essential for 'modern' homes but are
the very devil to stand up from as the joints sieze up!

We have been looking and asking in B&Q, Bathstore, Homebase, General
plumbers etc. to obtain the old, dare I say it, 'Bog standard loo'!

Nobody appears to stock such items any longer!

Can anyone suggest an online supplier, we have tried using Google etc.
but it always comes up as the so called 'modern' design!

Just do what I did for my dad.. put the pan on a raised platform.
His is 3" higher than normal now.

Additionally or as an alternative, fit grab handles to the wall
if it's in a corner. You can get grab rails to install alongside
if it's not against a wall. Obviously, any such items need to be
very well secured, as they may need to take the weight of someone
who grabs one when falling.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 May 2008 09:23:56 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"dennis@home" writes:

[...]

==================================
This is a good alternative to fixed grab handles and it can be removed
completely without any modifications:

http://www.keepable.co.uk/product/me...me-TL2010.html

One very similar to this is supplied by my local hospital for use after
hip replacement. Height is adjustable.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"petercharlesfagg" wrote in message
My wife and I as we increase in years find it more and more difficult
to use these low profile lavatories.

They may be all the vogue and an essential for 'modern' homes but are
the very devil to stand up from as the joints sieze up!

We have been looking and asking in B&Q, Bathstore, Homebase, General
plumbers etc. to obtain the old, dare I say it, 'Bog standard loo'!

Nobody appears to stock such items any longer!

Can anyone suggest an online supplier, we have tried using Google etc.
but it always comes up as the so called 'modern' design!

Regards, Peter Charles Fagg

We bought a cheap ceramic dual flush lavatory from Aldi (I think) and when
it was taken out of the box it looked much lower than the original 1937 one
which used a lot of water for the flush and had a cracked basin.

When Spouse installed it I took a picture to prove to him that it WAS lower.

He measured the height to prove me wrong. Both models were exactly the same
and neither of us has had a problem rising from it.

It was a special so might not be available again, it's certainly not a stock
item, but it shows that sensible height wcs are still being made.

Incidentally I had a letter from the water company today. Since we installed
the lavatory we've used so much less water that our payments have dropped
considerably, the cost of the wc will be recovered in a few months - not
that we care about that.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My sincere thanks to everyone for their input.

We have decided to completely strip out the present toilet arrangement
and go for a new one that is higher, all that needs to be done is
compare prices through all those links provided.

The seat raisers were a no go from the start because they are always
there with the seat and lid permanently raised, pain in the a...
especially if guests are present!

Thanks again we really do appreciate the help.

Peter Charles Fagg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"petercharlesfagg" wrote in message
My sincere thanks to everyone for their input.

We have decided to completely strip out the present toilet arrangement
and go for a new one that is higher, all that needs to be done is
compare prices through all those links provided.

The seat raisers were a no go from the start because they are always
there with the seat and lid permanently raised, pain in the a...
especially if guests are present!

I agree. They're a last resort.

Thanks again we really do appreciate the help.

I hope you find what suits you.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

petercharlesfagg wrote:
My sincere thanks to everyone for their input.

We have decided to completely strip out the present toilet arrangement
and go for a new one that is higher, all that needs to be done is
compare prices through all those links provided.

The seat raisers were a no go from the start because they are always
there with the seat and lid permanently raised, pain in the a...
especially if guests are present!

Thanks again we really do appreciate the help.

Peter Charles Fagg

Any chance of you posting back with your final decision? It might help
anyone looking with a similar question.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-27, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"dennis@home" writes:

[...]

I have good news and bad news; the good news is that my mother, who is
disabled,
has a "raised" toilet pan - the actual pan is taller than a "normal" one,
and
therefore easier to get up from(+). The bad news is that she is in the
USA, and
I therefore have no idea if such things are available here(*). I can get
her to
tell me the manufacturers name on it, if that would help?

(* Provision for disabled people in the USA seems to be *way* better than
here.
Disabled parking spaces everywhere and vicious enforcement. Grab rails in
Depot [I put one up over her bath]. At least 2 shops in the small town she
lives
in selling nothing but aids for the disabled.)

Really?
I just phone the local council and get them to pop around and put them up
where needed.
No need to pop to a shop to buy anything even though they have them in B&Q.

They supply, grab rails, toilet seat extentions, chairs, commodes, walking
frames, toilet frames, etc. all free.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-27, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"dennis@home" writes:

[...]

NOT to everyone who's disabled.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

NOT to everyone who's disabled.

Who don't they supply to?
You must be getting £500+ pw AFAICS not to qualify.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

NOT to everyone who's disabled.

Who don't they supply to?
You must be getting £500+ pw AFAICS not to qualify.

Quite. That means that free equipment is not given to everyone who's
disabled.

Just because you're disabled doesn't mean you're poor.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

NOT to everyone who's disabled.

Who don't they supply to?
You must be getting £500+ pw AFAICS not to qualify.

Quite. That means that free equipment is not given to everyone who's
disabled.

Just because you're disabled doesn't mean you're poor.

So you don't need to be given it then.
BTW its nearer to £1000 pw.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

NOT to everyone who's disabled.

Who don't they supply to?
You must be getting £500+ pw AFAICS not to qualify.

Quite. That means that free equipment is not given to everyone who's
disabled.

Just because you're disabled doesn't mean you're poor.

So you don't need to be given it then.

We don't need aids.

BTW its nearer to £1000 pw.

The figures are irrelevant.

Not all registered disabled people have incomes which are under your
figures.

Whatever you choose to quote :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

NOT to everyone who's disabled.

Who don't they supply to?
You must be getting £500+ pw AFAICS not to qualify.

Quite. That means that free equipment is not given to everyone who's
disabled.

Just because you're disabled doesn't mean you're poor.

So you don't need to be given it then.

We don't need aids.

BTW its nearer to £1000 pw.

The figures are irrelevant.

Not all registered disabled people have incomes which are under your
figures.

Whatever you choose to quote :-)

I didn't quote anything.
You bought up the point about some disabled people paying, I only said I
phone the local council.
You are the one that appears to have a problem with people with cash paying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

Not all registered disabled people have incomes which are under your
figures.

Whatever you choose to quote :-)

I didn't quote anything.

ahem

"You must be getting £500+ pw AFAICS not to qualify"

and:

"BTW its nearer to £1000 pw."

You bought up the point about some disabled people paying, I only said I
phone the local council.

and quoted figures.

You are the one that appears to have a problem with people with cash
paying.

The only problem is lack of veracity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"dennis@home" wrote in message

Not all registered disabled people have incomes which are under your
figures.

Whatever you choose to quote :-)

I didn't quote anything.

ahem

8 quotes.

and that was in response to you, I didn't post anything until you posted
about not getting stuff free.

I don't think you should get stuff free just because you are disabled, if
you need it and can't afford it then it should be supplied but I don't see
why my taxes should go towards making someone richer just because they are
disabled.

The same with going into a home, why should tax payers pay so that an old
person can have a bigger inheritance to leave to their kids or the dogs
home?
Its perverse to tax the poor (which is where most of said taxes come from)
so someone with a bit of cash doesn't spend it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

I don't think you should get stuff free just because you are disabled, if
you need it and can't afford it then it should be supplied but I don't see
why my taxes should go towards making someone richer just because they are
disabled.

The same with going into a home, why should tax payers pay so that an old
person can have a bigger inheritance to leave to their kids or the dogs
home?
Its perverse to tax the poor (which is where most of said taxes come from)
so someone with a bit of cash doesn't spend it.

There now, do you feel better after that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

There now, do you feel better after that?

Yes, thanks for listening.
Do you want to get something of your chest too?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge writes:
(+ It also flushes really well. It seems to have assistance from mains pressure
plumbed into the pan to provide a jet of water giving the, er, payload, an
initial acceleration before the cistern washes it down the soil pipe. I wonder
if you can get those here, too?)

If it's the same as the US ones I've used, it's directly mains water
powered, with no cistern. Yes, that jet always clears the pan - if the
outlet is blocked, the pan contents come flying out in your face (not
from personal experiance, I'm pleased to say)...

--
Andrew Gabriel