Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lavatory cistern query

Hi. I recently visited relatives abroad where plumbing spares and
knowledge are sparse. There is an Armitage Shanks ASA 180 9 litre
lavatory low-level cistern with a faulty flush mechanism. It's aroung
15 years old probably. It says DPE (or perhaps OPE) Maxiflush on it.
It is fitted centrally and raised by a side lever. The washer
underneath is worn and that is apparently allowing the water to leak
into the basin. Water is scarce there so cannot be wasted.

The washer is approx 2-3 mm thick, internal diameter 28 to 30mm and
external diameter 80mm.

Any ideas please on a suitable replacement mechanism or spares?

Thanks- Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill B wrote:
Hi. I recently visited relatives abroad where plumbing spares and
knowledge are sparse. There is an Armitage Shanks ASA 180 9 litre
lavatory low-level cistern with a faulty flush mechanism. It's aroung
15 years old probably. It says DPE (or perhaps OPE) Maxiflush on it.
It is fitted centrally and raised by a side lever. The washer
underneath is worn and that is apparently allowing the water to leak
into the basin. Water is scarce there so cannot be wasted.

The washer is approx 2-3 mm thick, internal diameter 28 to 30mm and
external diameter 80mm.

Any ideas please on a suitable replacement mechanism or spares?

Thanks- Bill

Try a query on this group:

UK.D-I-Y
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 4:32 am, "Bill B" wrote:
Hi. I recently visited relatives abroad where plumbing spares and
knowledge are sparse. There is an Armitage Shanks ASA 180 9 litre
lavatory low-level cistern with a faulty flush mechanism
Any ideas please on a suitable replacement mechanism or spares?

Thanks- Bill

Yikes! Plumbing parts overseas can be unavailable or non-existent.
One joke an Ecuadorian landlord told me when I wanted to make a simple
repair on my place: "It would be easier to see the president than to
find one of those." Sadly, the joke was true.

You may be stuck with fashioning a gasket from whatever materials
available. Used or new inner tubes are found everywhere. An inner
tube of the same diameter could be carefully cut and possible folded
and sewed to make one. Another idea is plumbers putty. By the grace
of god, you may be able to find some and make like play dough to roll
it and shape it to make a gasket.

If a fix is made, future users of that appliance will be asked to
please sit gently, no leaning allowed.

Installing a new lavatory Dave Baker UK diy 3 November 14th 06 06:18 PM
Leaking cistern. Davao UK diy 15 June 11th 06 09:30 PM
Getting into cistern Martin Pentreath UK diy 6 May 26th 06 07:07 AM
Cistern goes ... Lobster UK diy 9 September 19th 04 11:23 PM
Cistern drip Ad UK diy 8 November 30th 03 12:20 AM