Lobster

Default Cistern goes ...

One of my toilet cisterns makes enough racket to wake the dead
(certainly wakes SWMBO if I flush at night anyway). It's a ball valve
type, and we have mains-pressure water throughout the house. When the
cistern finishes refilling after flushing, as the valve closes off
there is an almighty, well, thunk sound, which reverberates around
the house.

Changing the valve to a Torbeck one is on my to-do list, but without
knowing the cause, will that definitely cure the symptoms? We have
two other loos in the house, one Torbeck and one ball valve, neither
of which have a problem.

Thanks
David
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
One of my toilet cisterns makes enough racket to wake the dead
(certainly wakes SWMBO if I flush at night anyway). It's a ball valve
type, and we have mains-pressure water throughout the house. When the
cistern finishes refilling after flushing, as the valve closes off
there is an almighty, well, thunk sound, which reverberates around
the house.

Changing the valve to a Torbeck one is on my to-do list, but without
knowing the cause, will that definitely cure the symptoms? We have
two other loos in the house, one Torbeck and one ball valve, neither
of which have a problem.

While you're at it, fit a stopcock before the valve - keying it down
slightly might help.

--
*I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Pet

Lobster wrote:

Changing the valve to a Torbeck one is on my to-do list, but without
knowing the cause, will that definitely cure the symptoms?

Could it be there is a point towards the end of the re-fill where the
ball cock becomes "sticky" and doesn't progresively halt the flow of
water untill sufficient upthrust is present against the ball to overcome
the sticking point, slamming the valve shut?

Chsck the pivot point etc for freedom of movement would be my first
thing to look at.

--
http://gymratz.co.uk - UK's best bodybuilding supplements,gym equipment.
http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam!

Lobster

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Lobster wrote:
One of my toilet cisterns makes enough racket to wake the dead
(certainly wakes SWMBO if I flush at night anyway). It's a ball valve
type, and we have mains-pressure water throughout the house. When the
cistern finishes refilling after flushing, as the valve closes off
there is an almighty, well, thunk sound, which reverberates around
the house.

Changing the valve to a Torbeck one is on my to-do list, but without
knowing the cause, will that definitely cure the symptoms? We have
two other loos in the house, one Torbeck and one ball valve, neither
of which have a problem.

I'm clearly losing the plot or getting old or something.... I just lifted
the cistern lid and found it already has a Torbeck valve. Went to the box
in the garage where I know I left the valve on my to-do list (ages ago),
destined for fitting to that loo, and found it missing! So either the
leprachauns fitted it for me in the night, or I must have done it myself
sometime(?!?). Maybe the leprachauns forgot the pressure reducing valve
thingy... Filling is extremely noisy for a Torbeck though - our other one
is virtually silent.

While you're at it, fit a stopcock before the valve - keying it down
slightly might help.

Who said I didn't already have a stopcock?! I have turned it down a bit,
and yes it does help some. Now a manageable thweeerrrksh rather than a
deafening thunk. So thanks a lot for that.

David

Set Square

Lobster wrote:

I'm clearly losing the plot or getting old or something.... I just
lifted the cistern lid and found it already has a Torbeck valve.
Went to the box in the garage where I know I left the valve on my
to-do list (ages ago), destined for fitting to that loo, and found it
missing! So either the leprachauns fitted it for me in the night, or
I must have done it myself sometime(?!?). Maybe the leprachauns
forgot the pressure reducing valve thingy... Filling is extremely
noisy for a Torbeck though - our other one is virtually silent.

While you're at it, fit a stopcock before the valve - keying it down
slightly might help.

Who said I didn't already have a stopcock?! I have turned it down a
bit, and yes it does help some. Now a manageable thweeerrrksh
rather than a deafening thunk. So thanks a lot for that.

David

I would have thought that a Torbeck valve was *more* likely to close with a
thump than an ordinary valve. The benefit of a torbeck is that it fills
quickly because you get full flow until very near the end. The downside is
that, when it *does* decide to close, it does so rather suddenly!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

G&M

"Lobster" wrote in message
om...
One of my toilet cisterns makes enough racket to wake the dead
(certainly wakes SWMBO if I flush at night anyway). It's a ball valve
type, and we have mains-pressure water throughout the house. When the
cistern finishes refilling after flushing, as the valve closes off
there is an almighty, well, thunk sound, which reverberates around
the house.

Changing the valve to a Torbeck one is on my to-do list, but without
knowing the cause, will that definitely cure the symptoms? We have
two other loos in the house, one Torbeck and one ball valve, neither
of which have a problem.

Just fit one of the pressure reducing thingies in the in-pipe and either
will be fine.

stuart noble

G&M wrote in message ...
Just fit one of the pressure reducing thingies in the in-pipe and either
will be fine.

My thunks eventually loosened the compression joint and caused a leak, so
I really must try and find that pressure reducer.

G&M

"stuart noble" wrote in message

G&M wrote in message ...
Just fit one of the pressure reducing thingies in the in-pipe and either
will be fine.

My thunks eventually loosened the compression joint and caused a leak,

so
I really must try and find that pressure reducer.

If you can't find the reducer supplied, fit an inline ball valve and turn it
back low.

Cistern - Close Coupled - Feeble Flush! Mil UK diy 2 August 24th 04 01:13 PM
High level cistern flush too powerful steve UK diy 3 February 28th 04 04:28 PM
Cistern drip Ad UK diy 8 November 30th 03 12:20 AM
Water cistern PoP UK diy 6 October 3rd 03 11:56 PM