Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cheap peel-n-stick floor tile doesn't stick

I bought a small batch of inexpensive vinyl peel and stick floor tile
for a 3'x15' basement closet. This closet doesn't get a lot of use,
so wearability is really not an issue (that's why I bought the cheap
tiles). I simply wanted to cover the floor. If I recall correctly,
this floor was painted with an oil-based floor paint about 15 years
ago. The paint is sound and appears to be adhering well (the paint
stayed on the floor when I picked up one of the tiles). The adhesive
on the tile doesn't appear to be lacking - in fact, in a few places,
it squeezed out from between the joints. I should also note that
drops of paint and poly from previous projects are difficult to remove
from this floor, so it doesn't appear to be an oil or wax problem. I
tried putting bricks on the tiles, hoping that ensuring contact
between the adhesive and the floor would help, but, after clamping it
overnight, there was no difference.

What can I use to stick these tiles to the floor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 08:58:36 -0700, Mike wrote:

[...]

Have you tried staples?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jun 4, 12:45 pm, Goedjn wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking leaving the bricks would probably work...

To OP, what do the installation guidelines say about suitable surfaces
for application and preparation?

I've not used a peel 'n stick product in over 40 years so no clue as
to how well any of them currently work. We put them down in the
kitchen of the frat house back in the early 60s (uncle the Armstrong
dealer donated a bunch of overstock to us). They worked reasonably
well over a subfloor until the house was sold some 25 years later...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 4, 12:45 pm, Goedjn wrote:
[...]

a heat gun or hair dryer will help. but likely you will need some adhesive
as well

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 12:45 pm, Goedjn wrote:
[...]

It's a concrete basement floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 1:20 pm, dpb wrote:
On Jun 4, 12:45 pm, Goedjn wrote:

[...]

I'll leave them for a couple more days and see what happens.

To OP, what do the installation guidelines say about suitable surfaces
for application and preparation?

Under "Suitable Surfaces", it lists "Painted floors - where paint is
firmly bonded" As I said, this appears to be the case, particularly
since the paint stays on the floor when I lift a tile. It was no more
specific than that. It also gave the standard "free of dirt, oil and
wax" warning.

I've not used apeel 'n stickproduct in over 40 years so no clue as
to how well any of them currently work. We put them down in the
kitchen of the frat house back in the early 60s (uncle the Armstrong
dealer donated a bunch of overstock to us). They worked reasonably
well over a subfloor until the house was sold some 25 years later...

I installed Armstrong self-stick tiles on a concrete basement floor in
my previous house about 20 years ago and they still looked good five
years later when we moved. They were a bit more expensive than these,
though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 2:19 pm, "longshot" wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jun 4, 12:45 pm, Goedjn wrote:
[...]

Tried a hair dryer - it made zero difference. What sort of adhesive
would be suitable? Would I need to remove the existing adhesive from
the tile backs?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
Mike wrote:

On Jun 4, 2:19 pm, "longshot" wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jun 4, 12:45 pm, Goedjn wrote:
[...]

I'm guessing the concrete substrate is your problem. OK, it's clean and
intact, but maybe it's not smooth enough, and you're only getting tiny
contact patches with the tile adhesive. You might need to spread on some
of that what's it called - thinset?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Scrub the floor with some alcohol to get up ANY residue on the painted
floor. It should dry pretty quickly. Also watch out for fumes - take breaks
if needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jun 4, 2:42 pm, Mike wrote:
On Jun 4, 1:20 pm, dpb wrote:

On Jun 4, 12:45 pm, Goedjn wrote:

[...]

Other than then wonder what you did about cleaning first and the other
respondent's comment about possibly being rough rather than really
smooth, not much more in the way of ideas.

Obviously, you could just trowel on some mastic and lay them as if
they weren't sticky buns, but that sorta' defeats the purpose... I
wouldn't think it would make any difference about the existing
adhesive if you did that...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 12:43:55 -0700, Mike wrote:

What sort of adhesive
would be suitable? Would I need to remove the existing adhesive from
the tile backs?

Something along these lines, BUT ensure it is compatible with vinyl.

I have a can of spray adhesive. For a temporary application spray one
side, allow to tack and then set. For permanent application spray
both sides, allow to tack and then set.

http://www.abatix.com/default.aspx?p...&itemcode=3M77

Good Luck!

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

I'm thinking leaving the bricks would probably work...

To OP, what do the installation guidelines say about suitable surfaces
for application and preparation?

I've not used apeel 'n stickproduct in over 40 years so no clue as
to how well any of them currently work. We put them down in the
kitchen of the frat house back in the early 60s (uncle the Armstrong
dealer donated a bunch of overstock to us). They worked reasonably
well over a subfloor until the house was sold some 25 years later...

a heat gun or hair dryer will help. but likely you will need some adhesive
as well

Tried a hair dryer - it made zero difference. What sort of adhesive
would be suitable? Would I need to remove the existing adhesive from
the tile backs?

I wonder if the floor could have enough moisture to keep the tile from
sticking. Have you tried a tile somewhere else (dryer)? Also, try
scuffing the paint, clean it well with denatured alcohol...let fumes
clear and ventilate well. Then, try the hairdryer before you apply the
tile. If it doesn't work, paint on some faux tiles - fun to do )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
[...]

You can dick around all month, since your time doesn't seem to be worth
anything. Or, just buy something half-way decent and be done with it.

Do you have a fat kid or wife? Sit their butt in the closet for a few
days. It will be good for everyone involved.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 12:42:27 -0700, Mike wrote:

I've not used apeel 'n stickproduct in over 40 years so no clue as
to how well any of them currently work. We put them down in the
kitchen of the frat house back in the early 60s (uncle the Armstrong
dealer donated a bunch of overstock to us). They worked reasonably
well over a subfloor until the house was sold some 25 years later...

I installed Armstrong self-stick tiles on a concrete basement floor in
my previous house about 20 years ago and they still looked good five
years later when we moved. They were a bit more expensive than these,
though.

One thing you could do is buy more expensive ones, best if you buy at
the same store. If they work, I'd return the first ones and point out
that I had bought the second ones because the first didn't work.

Although at many stores these days, they dojn't care a bit why you are
returning them. Are we talking about more than a box? If so, a
lesson for all of us: When putting down tiles, don't put down more
than a few to see if they will stick. And at least not more than a
box.

Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl [email protected] Home Repair 19 January 22nd 21 09:27 AM
Peel & stick flooring [email protected] Home Repair 4 March 8th 07 09:29 PM
peel and stick tile jtpr Home Repair 8 August 5th 06 03:11 PM
Taking up Peel & Stick Tiles Suzie-Q Home Repair 3 December 28th 04 06:20 PM
Peel and Stick Tile Rufus V. Smith Home Repair 6 September 5th 03 01:45 PM