Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default daylight spectrum bulbs

Hi everyone,
Ive painted a few rooms with a paint that under daylight is a lovely warm
happy yellow colour. Under energy saving bulbs it looks the brightest day
glow yellow you can ever imagine :-)

We like the colour, and I'm not inclined to paint three rooms again, but
was thinking that a bulb that gave a more "natural" light spectrum would
hopefully make the paint look more normal at night.

Anyone got at suggestions for a source of bayonet ended bulbs with a more
natural spectrum? I've had a look online but most sources are either in
china, or via eBay, which I'd like to avoid unless I am pointed towards a
particular seller or brand that is good.

Thanks in advance for your help m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Finnigan wrote:
[snip]
Anyone got at suggestions for a source of bayonet ended bulbs with a more
natural spectrum? I've had a look online but most sources are either in
china, or via eBay, which I'd like to avoid unless I am pointed towards a
particular seller or brand that is good.

It's possible to get 42W and 70W halogen bulbs in a bayonet cap fitting.
The 42W is claimed to be equivalent to a 60W tungsten bulb. Tesco sell them
as own brand and they are also available from GE. They used to be sold in
both clear and opal glass but current Eco-nazi rules mean plain glass only.

Halogen should be closer to daylight than CFL.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 17, 10:31*am, Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi everyone,
Ive painted a few rooms with a paint that under daylight is a lovely warm
happy yellow colour. Under energy saving bulbs it looks the brightest day
glow yellow you can ever imagine :-)

We like the colour, and I'm not inclined to paint three rooms again, but
was thinking that a bulb that gave a more "natural" light spectrum would
hopefully make the paint look more normal at night.

Anyone got at suggestions for a source of bayonet ended bulbs with a more
natural spectrum? I've had a look online but most sources are either in
china, or via eBay, which I'd like to avoid unless I am pointed towards a
particular seller or brand that is good.

Thanks in advance for your help m

You can get CFLs in daylight version, marked as daylight or 6500K.
Daylight tinted lighting is however hideous. Halogens come nowhere
near it at 3000K.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 17, 1:53*pm, NT wrote:

You can get CFLs in daylight version, marked as daylight or 6500K.
Daylight tinted lighting is however hideous. Halogens come nowhere
near it at 3000K.

I've tended to find that "daylight" lighting means lighting with a
colour temperature equivalent to a dull, cloudy day, which isn't what
I need to cheer me up. Halogen is far nicer as it gives a much
"sunnier" light. The tubes used on First Great Western's trains are
particularly hideous.

Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 17, 1:05*pm, Neil Williams wrote:
On Oct 17, 1:53*pm, NT wrote:

You can get CFLs in daylight version, marked as daylight or 6500K.
Daylight tinted lighting is however hideous. Halogens come nowhere
near it at 3000K.

I've tended to find that "daylight" lighting means lighting with a
colour temperature equivalent to a dull, cloudy day, which isn't what
I need to cheer me up. *Halogen is far nicer as it gives a much
"sunnier" light. *The tubes used on First Great Western's trains are
particularly hideous.

Neil

Quite. Imho the OP would do far better to repaint.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 17, 1:53 pm, NT wrote:

You can get CFLs in daylight version, marked as daylight or 6500K.
Daylight tinted lighting is however hideous. Halogens come nowhere
near it at 3000K.

I've tended to find that "daylight" lighting means lighting with a
colour temperature equivalent to a dull, cloudy day, which isn't what
I need to cheer me up. Halogen is far nicer as it gives a much
"sunnier" light. The tubes used on First Great Western's trains are
particularly hideous.

Neil

Quite. Imho the OP would do far better to repaint.

Repaint three rooms vs trying a few different light bulbs? You must love
painting. I'd definitely try halogen/tungstun bulbs first. CFLs vary quite
a lot in their colour quality so there's a fair chance of finding one that
will produce a more pleasant effect.

Tim

Tim

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 17, 1:53 pm, NT wrote:

[...]

I formally don't mind CFL bulbs but there must be something weird happening
with these bulbs and the paint, as I've never seen this before. It's almost
as if there's a lot of UV coming from the CFL and making the paint on the
walls fluoresce.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 17, 1:53 pm, NT wrote:

You can get CFLs in daylight version, marked as daylight or 6500K.
Daylight tinted lighting is however hideous. Halogens come nowhere
near it at 3000K.

I've tended to find that "daylight" lighting means lighting with a
colour temperature equivalent to a dull, cloudy day, which isn't what
I need to cheer me up. Halogen is far nicer as it gives a much
"sunnier" light. The tubes used on First Great Western's trains are
particularly hideous.

Neil

Quite. Imho the OP would do far better to repaint.

You'd honestly shift two sofas, tv and stand, take down pictures etc in one
room, move a bed, computer desk and all the other furnishings in a second
room and clear all the walls of your hall, stairs and landing, then get the
ladders out and repaint it all then try a few different types of lightbulb,
after asking advice on a newsgroup? You must really love doing work, I know
I'd much rather ask for advice and try a few different types of bulb before
committing to that much extra work, and the expense of buying more paint.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi everyone,
Ive painted a few rooms with a paint that under daylight is a lovely warm
happy yellow colour. Under energy saving bulbs it looks the brightest day
glow yellow you can ever imagine :-)

We like the colour, and I'm not inclined to paint three rooms again, but
was thinking that a bulb that gave a more "natural" light spectrum would
hopefully make the paint look more normal at night.

Anyone got at suggestions for a source of bayonet ended bulbs with a more
natural spectrum? I've had a look online but most sources are either in
china, or via eBay, which I'd like to avoid unless I am pointed towards a
particular seller or brand that is good.

I'm not aware of any CFL which gives a resonably continuous spectrum
output. For that you'd need a filament type or decent fluorescent. CFLs
all have spikes and troughs in the spectrum that can do weird things to
some colours. One make could well be different to another, too.

--
*Strip mining prevents forest fires.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi everyone,
Ive painted a few rooms with a paint that under daylight is a lovely
warm happy yellow colour. Under energy saving bulbs it looks the
brightest day glow yellow you can ever imagine :-)

You didn't buy it from someone caled Trigger did you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Finnigan wrote:

I formally don't mind CFL bulbs but there must be something weird happening
with these bulbs and the paint, as I've never seen this before. It's almost
as if there's a lot of UV coming from the CFL and making the paint on the
walls fluoresce.

I too wonder if they chuck out UV. I have a load of glow-in-the-dark
planets and stars on a ceiling (courtesy of my brother) and since I
switched from an incandescent to a CFL they glow far more in the dark.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Simon Finnigan wrote:
[...]

mercury vapour produces a lot of blue-greens and plenty of UV.The actual
phosphors are there to down convert and add reds and yellows, but they
re all narrow spectral lines..only black body thermal radiation gives a
sunlight - like continuous spectrum.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:
Simon Finnigan wrote:

I formally don't mind CFL bulbs but there must be something weird
happening
with these bulbs and the paint, as I've never seen this before. It's
almost
as if there's a lot of UV coming from the CFL and making the paint on the
walls fluoresce.

I too wonder if they chuck out UV. I have a load of glow-in-the-dark
planets and stars on a ceiling (courtesy of my brother) and since I
switched from an incandescent to a CFL they glow far more in the dark.

Course they do. dangerous for eyes as well. Conjunctivitis etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote:
Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi everyone,
Ive painted a few rooms with a paint that under daylight is a lovely
warm happy yellow colour. Under energy saving bulbs it looks the
brightest day glow yellow you can ever imagine :-)

You didn't buy it from someone caled Trigger did you?

It's B&Q branded, looked lovely in the shop, looks lovely during the day,
but once the CFL bulbs come on it looks glow in the dark. It's bloody
weird!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 17, 1:53 pm, NT wrote:

You can get CFLs in daylight version, marked as daylight or 6500K.
Daylight tinted lighting is however hideous. Halogens come nowhere
near it at 3000K.

I've tended to find that "daylight" lighting means lighting with a
colour temperature equivalent to a dull, cloudy day, which isn't what
I need to cheer me up. Halogen is far nicer as it gives a much
"sunnier" light. The tubes used on First Great Western's trains are
particularly hideous.

Neil

Quite. Imho the OP would do far better to repaint.

Repaint three rooms vs trying a few different light bulbs? *You must love
painting.

No, I understand the science behind the situation.

I'd definitely try halogen/tungstun bulbs first. *CFLs vary quite
a lot in their colour quality so there's a fair chance of finding one that
will produce a more pleasant effect.

Tim

Tim

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Finnigan" wrote in message
"Phil L" wrote:
Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi everyone,
Ive painted a few rooms with a paint that under daylight is a lovely
warm happy yellow colour. Under energy saving bulbs it looks the
brightest day glow yellow you can ever imagine :-)

You didn't buy it from someone caled Trigger did you?

It's B&Q branded, looked lovely in the shop, looks lovely during the day,
but once the CFL bulbs come on it looks glow in the dark. It's bloody
weird!

What is the colour called on the tin - se we can avoid this hazard?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote:
Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi everyone,
Ive painted a few rooms with a paint that under daylight is a
lovely warm happy yellow colour. Under energy saving bulbs it
looks the brightest day glow yellow you can ever imagine :-)

You didn't buy it from someone caled Trigger did you?

It's B&Q branded, looked lovely in the shop, looks lovely during the
day, but once the CFL bulbs come on it looks glow in the dark. It's
bloody weird!

What is the colour called on the tin - se we can avoid this hazard?

fluorescent line-marking paint - comes in large aerosols

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Finnigan wrote:
On Oct 17, 1:53 pm, NT wrote:

[...]

A quick way to check would be to use a UV filter as used on a camera
lens. Hold it between the lamp and the paint and see whether the
flourscent effect is reduced in its shadow. Or try a UV light and see if
it increases.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote:
Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi everyone,
Ive painted a few rooms with a paint that under daylight is a lovely
warm happy yellow colour. Under energy saving bulbs it looks the
brightest day glow yellow you can ever imagine :-)

You didn't buy it from someone caled Trigger did you?

It's B&Q branded, looked lovely in the shop, looks lovely during the day,
but once the CFL bulbs come on it looks glow in the dark. It's bloody
weird!

What is the colour called on the tin - se we can avoid this hazard?

Lemon ice IIRC, it's in the garage and it's cold outside so I'm not gonna
make a special trip to check :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:
Simon Finnigan wrote:
On Oct 17, 1:53 pm, NT wrote:

[...]

I'll ask a mate with lots of photography gear see if he's got a UV filter I
can try.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2011 17:07, Simon Finnigan wrote:
"Phil wrote:
Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi everyone,
Ive painted a few rooms with a paint that under daylight is a lovely
warm happy yellow colour. Under energy saving bulbs it looks the
brightest day glow yellow you can ever imagine :-)

You didn't buy it from someone caled Trigger did you?

It's B&Q branded, looked lovely in the shop, looks lovely during the day,
but once the CFL bulbs come on it looks glow in the dark. It's bloody
weird!

Well its not *that* weird... ;-)

If you look at [1.3.3] (then compare with [1.1.1] at the top:

http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.c...ci.html#1fluop

You should see a breakdown of the typical spectrum for a CFL. These are
usually characterised by lots of missing bits, with a number of
predominate "spikes" in output at various frequencies.

Chances are your nice yellow paint reflects a range of frequencies
centred about the yellow portion of the spectrum. With natural daylight
(i.e. when the paint is reflecting light from a full spectrum source) it
looks ok. With CFL illumination the paint will still reflect the same
range of colours, however most of the ones that add up to give the
characteristic you see in daylight, are now missing from the source. So
you will instead see just the few spikes in output that the bulb can
produce at frequencies not absorbed by the paint. This loses the
subtlety of the colour.

Look at:

http://www.jasonmorrison.net/content...-incandescent/

See how the CFL output has a very "flat" or "solarised" look in the
green regions, and very low intensities in much of the yellow. Hence
nay nice subtle colour that includes a fair amount of green/yellow is
likely to be rendered with most of the yellows attenuated, and all
subtle variations of green reflected as one flat colour.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

I'm not aware of any CFL which gives a resonably continuous spectrum
output. For that you'd need a filament type or decent fluorescent.

I'm not aware of any fluorescents that produce a continuous output without
spikes. they are the same technology as CFL so i fail to see why they would
be different.

CFLs
all have spikes and troughs in the spectrum that can do weird things to
some colours. One make could well be different to another, too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 17, 1:53 pm, NT wrote:

You can get CFLs in daylight version, marked as daylight or 6500K.
Daylight tinted lighting is however hideous. Halogens come nowhere
near it at 3000K.

I've tended to find that "daylight" lighting means lighting with a
colour temperature equivalent to a dull, cloudy day, which isn't
what I need to cheer me up. Halogen is far nicer as it gives a much
"sunnier" light. The tubes used on First Great Western's trains are
particularly hideous.

Neil

Quite. Imho the OP would do far better to repaint.

Repaint three rooms vs trying a few different light bulbs? You must
love painting.

No, I understand the science behind the situation.

So you're saying that you know that no amount of jiggering around with
different bulbs will ever produce a satisfactory look? I'm impressed! Or
rather, I would be if it wasn't for the fact that I know from my own
experience that different CFLs produce different qualities of light.

*Maybe* none of them will produce a satifactory appearance but it's sure as
hell easier to try a few bulbs than repaint three rooms.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
I'm not aware of any CFL which gives a resonably continuous spectrum
output. For that you'd need a filament type or decent fluorescent.

I'm not aware of any fluorescents that produce a continuous output
without spikes. they are the same technology as CFL so i fail to see
why they would be different.

Better phosphors. Decent specialist fluorescent tubes are perfectly
satisfactory for photographic etc use. CFLs are simply cheap rubbish.

--
* What do they call a coffee break at the Lipton Tea Company? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 17:47:12 +0100, "Geoff Pearson"
wrote:

It's B&Q branded, looked lovely in the shop, looks lovely during the day,
but once the CFL bulbs come on it looks glow in the dark. It's bloody
weird!

What is the colour called on the tin - se we can avoid this hazard?

Tractor and Plant Yellow?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 17 Oct,
"Tim Downie" wrote:

Repaint three rooms vs trying a few different light bulbs? You must love
painting. I'd definitely try halogen/tungstun bulbs first. CFLs vary quite
a lot in their colour quality so there's a fair chance of finding one that
will produce a more pleasant effect.

I've recently started trying high power leds. Not cheap, but results so far
are looking good.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 17 Oct,
Scott M wrote:

I too wonder if they chuck out UV. I have a load of glow-in-the-dark
planets and stars on a ceiling (courtesy of my brother) and since I
switched from an incandescent to a CFL they glow far more in the dark.

My oscilloscope screen, even when unused for days, glows well after I switch
off the (CFL) lights.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
CFLs are simply cheap rubbish.

A fairly succinct and cogent summary...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I've recently started trying high power leds. Not cheap, but results so
far are looking good.

If anything, they have even more problems producing a reasonably
continuous spectrum.

--
*A backward poet writes inverse.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT writes:

On Oct 17, 10:31Â*am, Simon Finnigan wrote:
[...]

The colour temperature isnt the real issue here. You need to
look at the colour rendering index (CRI), which tells you how
good the bulb is at revealing colours. 100% corresponds to
daylight. A light source can have a high colour temperature
while having a low CRI (because the only light it outputs is a
few sharply defined monochrome wavelengths). Typical CFLs have
CRIs in the low 80s. There are CFLs with colour temperatures
around 5500 but CRI of 93, which would solve the OPs problem.
I dont know where to get them, though.

Unfortunately, manufacturers and suppliers seem reluctant to
provide the CRI.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2010-09-14)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 17, 1:53 pm, NT wrote:

[...]

Let us know how it goes then
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 17, 1:53 pm, NT wrote:

[...]

Not my problem, I just think your suggestions (and attitude) are
particularly unhelpful. To seriously suggest redecoration three rooms to
deal with a colour balance problem produced by CFLs is just ridiculous The
"science" that leads you to believe that all CFLs use the same phosphors
(and hence have the same colour specturm) does not tally with my own
experience of the light quality from CFLs.

Tim

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Downie wrote:
Not my problem, I just think your suggestions (and attitude) are
particularly unhelpful. To seriously suggest redecoration three rooms
to deal with a colour balance problem produced by CFLs is just
ridiculous The "science" that leads you to believe that all CFLs use
the same phosphors (and hence have the same colour specturm) does not
tally with my own experience of the light quality from CFLs.

You'll get exactly the same thing with basic fluorescent tubes with some
colours - although not IMHO as badly as with CFLs. CFLs seem to have been
designed to *look* similar to a tungsten light when viewed directly rather
than for the quality of light they produce.

With fluorescent tubes, the ones which give a more continuous spectrum are
not only considerably more expensive, but produce a subjectively lower
output. However, to me, both these are outweighed by the better colour
rendition they provide. Others obviously don't give a toss. ;-)

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 17, 1:53 pm, NT wrote:

[...]

It wont be solved to anyone's satisfaction by replacing cfls. If you
want to try things that wont work, that's fine, but I personally dont
recommend it.

"science" that leads you to believe that all CFLs use the same phosphors
(and hence have the same colour specturm) does not tally with my own
experience of the light quality from CFLs.

I've not claimed any such thing. Once you understand why the colour
issue is happening, then you'll understand what proposed solutions can
and cant work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2011 11:32, NT wrote:
On Oct 18, 2:47 pm, "Tim wrote:
NT wrote:
On Oct 17, 11:10 pm, "Tim wrote:
NT wrote:
On Oct 17, 2:16 pm, "Tim wrote:
NT wrote:
On Oct 17, 1:05 pm, Neil wrote:
On Oct 17, 1:53 pm, wrote:

[...]

That really makes no sense. Different CFLs will employ different
coatings, and hence have output peaks in different places. Some of those
*may* make for a more acceptable rendition of the chosen colour. However
replacing one set of CFLs with another is not the only option. Replacing
with linear FLs (which tend to have a much better colour rendition) is
an other option, as would be switching to LED/FL or one of the various
metal halide lamps. Even LV halogen would be another lower energy
solution than GLS incandescents.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
vidual.net, Simon Finnigan writes

Under energy saving bulbs it looks the brightest day
glow yellow you can ever imagine :-)

Just stick incandescents in and bugger the environment.

I can't stand the quality of light from CFLs. They have their place
(e.g. external light fittings) but are not the universal panacea the
greenies would have us believe.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
vidual.net, Simon Finnigan writes

It's B&Q branded, looked lovely in the shop, looks lovely during the day,

I recently painted a (big!) room with B&Q own-brand paint that was
supposed to be white-with-a-hint-of-yellow. It dried to a violent shade
of sunflower yellow.

Had to repaint twice (with Dulux this time) to get the shade I wanted.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 17, 1:53 pm, NT wrote:

[...]

I'm well aware of the implications of different phosphors giving different
spectra of light, but I'm also aware that there may be a brand that uses
differently tuned phosphors to bring in a more natural colour than others.
Or I may have to use filament bulbs in those rooms, of other options, but
given that my time isn't worthless it's gonna take a lot of extra
electricity burnt by a few 60W bulbs to make it worth repainting three
rooms :-)

I'm gonna start by trying to get a range of CFL bulbs from friends
cupboards and drawers and see if any of them are better, and if so try and
obtain a quantity of those. If not I'll keep looking for other ideas - it
isn't particularly unpleasant as at the moment the rooms affected don't see
that much use, but int time that will change.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 17, 1:53 pm, NT wrote:

[...]

more or less all CFLs use triphosphor, and any bottom end lamps that
don't should be avoided. The variation is in CCT, most are 2700K, a
few are over 4000K. The latter are marked with the CCT, or the old
fashioned names indicating high CCT like 'daylight' etc

NT

Daylight savings time SBH[_4_] Woodworking 2 November 4th 09 12:37 AM
Stockist of Daylight (6500deg) rated cfl bulbs (Tonbridge area?) jim UK diy 2 August 28th 09 08:31 PM
Daylight fluorescent tubes Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 21 October 5th 08 11:20 PM
Daylight Halogens Doki UK diy 6 August 13th 06 12:53 AM
Compact flourescent bulbs with output similar to full spectrum or GE Reveal ? Abe Home Repair 11 May 14th 06 08:43 PM