Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon Finnigan Simon Finnigan is offline

Default daylight spectrum bulbs

"Tim Downie" wrote:
NT wrote:
On Oct 17, 11:10 pm, "Tim Downie" wrote:
NT wrote:
On Oct 17, 2:16 pm, "Tim Downie" wrote:
NT wrote:
On Oct 17, 1:05 pm, Neil Williams wrote:
On Oct 17, 1:53 pm, NT wrote:

You can get CFLs in daylight version, marked as daylight or
6500K. Daylight tinted lighting is however hideous. Halogens
come nowhere near it at 3000K.

I've tended to find that "daylight" lighting means lighting with
a colour temperature equivalent to a dull, cloudy day, which
isn't what I need to cheer me up. Halogen is far nicer as it
gives a much "sunnier" light. The tubes used on First Great
Western's trains are particularly hideous.

Neil

Quite. Imho the OP would do far better to repaint.

Repaint three rooms vs trying a few different light bulbs? You must
love painting.

No, I understand the science behind the situation.

So you're saying that you know that no amount of jiggering around
with different bulbs will ever produce a satisfactory look? I'm
impressed! Or rather, I would be if it wasn't for the fact that I
know from my own experience that different CFLs produce different
qualities of light.

*Maybe* none of them will produce a satifactory appearance but it's
sure as hell easier to try a few bulbs than repaint three rooms.

Tim

Let us know how it goes then

Not my problem, I just think your suggestions (and attitude) are
particularly unhelpful. To seriously suggest redecoration three rooms to
deal with a colour balance problem produced by CFLs is just ridiculous
The "science" that leads you to believe that all CFLs use the same
phosphors (and hence have the same colour specturm) does not tally with
my own experience of the light quality from CFLs.

I'm well aware of the implications of different phosphors giving different
spectra of light, but I'm also aware that there may be a brand that uses
differently tuned phosphors to bring in a more natural colour than others.
Or I may have to use filament bulbs in those rooms, of other options, but
given that my time isn't worthless it's gonna take a lot of extra
electricity burnt by a few 60W bulbs to make it worth repainting three
rooms :-)

I'm gonna start by trying to get a range of CFL bulbs from friends
cupboards and drawers and see if any of them are better, and if so try and
obtain a quantity of those. If not I'll keep looking for other ideas - it
isn't particularly unpleasant as at the moment the rooms affected don't see
that much use, but int time that will change.