Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default daylight spectrum bulbs

In article ,
Tim Downie wrote:
Not my problem, I just think your suggestions (and attitude) are
particularly unhelpful. To seriously suggest redecoration three rooms
to deal with a colour balance problem produced by CFLs is just
ridiculous The "science" that leads you to believe that all CFLs use
the same phosphors (and hence have the same colour specturm) does not
tally with my own experience of the light quality from CFLs.

You'll get exactly the same thing with basic fluorescent tubes with some
colours - although not IMHO as badly as with CFLs. CFLs seem to have been
designed to *look* similar to a tungsten light when viewed directly rather
than for the quality of light they produce.

With fluorescent tubes, the ones which give a more continuous spectrum are
not only considerably more expensive, but produce a subjectively lower
output. However, to me, both these are outweighed by the better colour
rendition they provide. Others obviously don't give a toss. ;-)

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.