Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Daylight Halogens

Is there such a thing as a daylight halogen bulb? I'm doing some painting in
a bit and it's a lot easier to find tripod stand halogen lights than it
tubes...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doki wrote:
Is there such a thing as a daylight halogen bulb? I'm doing some painting in
a bit and it's a lot easier to find tripod stand halogen lights than it
tubes...

no, halogen filament lamp spectrum is a long way from daylight at
3000K. Screwfix etc do portable fl site lights, or shop fittings out of
skips make effective site lights, though they are fragile. Twin 8'
fittings are/were my favourite for photography.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doki wrote:
Is there such a thing as a daylight halogen bulb? I'm doing some
painting in a bit and it's a lot easier to find tripod stand halogen
lights than it tubes...

In TV lighting you use a blue filter to get the correct colour temperature.

--
*A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doki wrote:
Is there such a thing as a daylight halogen bulb? I'm doing some
painting in a bit and it's a lot easier to find tripod stand halogen
lights than it tubes...

In TV lighting you use a blue filter to get the correct colour
temperature.

The thing with painting is that some colours will look fine under artificial
light but be shown as a poor match under daylight, so you need the right
spectrum. Had a chat with a sprayer since posting and apparently you can get
away with normal bulbs as I'm doing the whole car so there's no match to
worry about...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doki wrote:
In TV lighting you use a blue filter to get the correct colour
temperature.

The thing with painting is that some colours will look fine under
artificial light but be shown as a poor match under daylight, so you
need the right spectrum.

Well halogen is continuous spectrum but simply the wrong colour
temperature, and using a 1/2 blue or so simply corrects the CT to
daylight. But of course daylight varies by quite a bit...

Had a chat with a sprayer since posting and apparently you can get
away with normal bulbs as I'm doing the whole car so there's no match to
worry about...

As long as the source is continuous spectrum you should be able to match
ok as the eye compensates for CT. What you mustn't use is ordinary
fluorescents as things can look fine under that but terrible in daylight.

--
*I love cats...they taste just like chicken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doki wrote:
In TV lighting you use a blue filter to get the correct colour
temperature.

The thing with painting is that some colours will look fine under
artificial light but be shown as a poor match under daylight, so you
need the right spectrum.

Well halogen is continuous spectrum but simply the wrong colour
temperature, and using a 1/2 blue or so simply corrects the CT to
daylight. But of course daylight varies by quite a bit...

Had a chat with a sprayer since posting and apparently you can get
away with normal bulbs as I'm doing the whole car so there's no match to
worry about...

As long as the source is continuous spectrum you should be able to match
ok as the eye compensates for CT. What you mustn't use is ordinary
fluorescents as things can look fine under that but terrible in daylight.

OTOH some colour matches look fine and then you get them under sodium lamps
and they look shocking... Anyway, the important thing now I've realised CT
is unimportant is sorting out decent lighting around the place...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doki wrote:
OTOH some colour matches look fine and then you get them under sodium
lamps and they look shocking... Anyway, the important thing now I've
realised CT is unimportant is sorting out decent lighting around the
place...

Old sodium lighting is damn near a spot frequency and I doubt any paint
repair will look exactly the same as the original under it.

Here's an interesting experiment if you can get hold of an old sodium lamp.
Put it alongside your monitor and match the colour in Photoshop, etc. Then
ask someone else if it's a good match. They'll likely disagree. Get them
to match it and you'll likely say they're wrong. And so on. It sort of
proves we all see colours differently, but are educated to call them by
the same names.

--
*If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments *

Mains halogens Grumps UK diy 6 March 1st 06 11:08 AM
GU10 Mains Halogens Slurp UK diy 29 August 5th 05 07:39 AM
Building code, basement drain to daylight OK? andy everett Home Repair 3 January 25th 05 12:36 PM
Dimmers For Low Voltahe Halogens The Question Asker UK diy 7 September 4th 03 11:17 AM