Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon Finnigan Simon Finnigan is offline

Default daylight spectrum bulbs

John Williamson wrote:
Simon Finnigan wrote:
"Tim Downie" wrote:
NT wrote:
On Oct 17, 1:05 pm, Neil Williams wrote:
On Oct 17, 1:53 pm, NT wrote:

You can get CFLs in daylight version, marked as daylight or 6500K.
Daylight tinted lighting is however hideous. Halogens come nowhere
near it at 3000K.
I've tended to find that "daylight" lighting means lighting with a
colour temperature equivalent to a dull, cloudy day, which isn't what
I need to cheer me up. Halogen is far nicer as it gives a much
"sunnier" light. The tubes used on First Great Western's trains are
particularly hideous.

Neil
Quite. Imho the OP would do far better to repaint.
Repaint three rooms vs trying a few different light bulbs? You must love
painting. I'd definitely try halogen/tungstun bulbs first. CFLs vary
quite a lot in their colour quality so there's a fair chance of finding
one that will produce a more pleasant effect.

Tim

Tim

NT
I formally don't mind CFL bulbs but there must be something weird happening

with these bulbs and the paint, as I've never seen this before. It's almost
as if there's a lot of UV coming from the CFL and making the paint on the
walls fluoresce.

A quick way to check would be to use a UV filter as used on a camera
lens. Hold it between the lamp and the paint and see whether the
flourscent effect is reduced in its shadow. Or try a UV light and see if it increases.

I'll ask a mate with lots of photography gear see if he's got a UV filter I
can try.