Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Towing vehicle with a rope

In article , Roberts
wrote:

With Tailgating always let the person overtake you especially in
Hampshire where the police tailgate people to make them speed up so that
they can be nicked. If you do not speed they will give your vehicle a
close inspection when they stop you.

The correct response, assuming your brake lights really are working, is to
do an emergency stop. Claim a dog ran across the road and you didn't want
to hit it.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Roberts
scribeth thus

"hugh" ] wrote in message
news
In message , John Williamson
writes
hugh wrote:
And driving too closely in front of the vehicle behind you.

? Without a tow rope?

Or are you saying that a driver doing the speed he or she feels safe doing
on that particular bit of road should speed up to lose the tailgating twit
who's trying to push them along? Or just stop to encourage them to pass,
so hitting the innocent third driver who's just come riund the blind bend?

Tailgating is *always* the fault of the driver in the rear. As is a shunt
caused by it. Where I work, if you shunt into another vehicle from its
rear, it's an automatic disciplinary hearing, and, very likely, the sack,
or at the very least, a session with a very annoyed driving intructor.

Two totally different situations.

You are driving along keeping a safe distance from the vehicle in front.
Some **** pulls into the space in front of you, typically on a motorway.
He is then driving too close in front of you. You have to take avoidance
action, i.e. back off to restore the space in front of you. before long
the process will inevitably be repeated
--
hugh

With Tailgating always let the person overtake you especially in Hampshire
where the police tailgate people to make them speed up so that they can be
nicked. If you do not speed they will give your vehicle a close inspection
when they stop you.

Robbie

You have Police there?. Who or what are they;?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

hugh wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
hugh wrote:
In message , Roger Chapman
writes
On 12/10/2011 14:38, hugh wrote:

Funny no-one ever complains about HGVs. Have you ever known one
of those pull into a layby to let the tail pass?

I have a vague memory of it once happening but probably the driver
just wanted a rest. ;-)

I am not sure many of my complaints ever make it onto usenet but
there are a number of common habits that I frequently complain
about. The three that come quickly to mind are extreme tailgating,
travelling in convoy on single carriage roads with insufficient
space to allow overtaking one at a time and overtaking manoeuvres
on dual carriageways that go on for miles and miles and sometimes
at least still end in failure.

And driving too closely in front of the vehicle behind you.

Explain how that is different from 'extreme tailgating' hugh?

It's the fault of the driver in front, whereas tailgating is the fault
of the driver behind.

It happens. I had someone on a motorway change from L1 to L2 without
looking. When he did look in the RVM he thought I was tailgating and slammed
the brakes on to teach me a lesson for tailgating!

The stupid **** missed me by two inches and never indicated when changing
lanes.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , charles
writes
In article , Roberts
wrote:

With Tailgating always let the person overtake you especially in
Hampshire where the police tailgate people to make them speed up so that
they can be nicked. If you do not speed they will give your vehicle a
close inspection when they stop you.

The correct response, assuming your brake lights really are working, is to
do an emergency stop. Claim a dog ran across the road and you didn't want
to hit it.

Touch your brakes whilst simultaneously putting your right foot down.
Repeat.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Williamson
writes
hugh wrote:
In message , John Williamson
writes
hugh wrote:
[...]

And? No problem, you lose 2 seconds. It's still your fault if you shunt
him up the backside.

Yes, I DO know that. My whole point was a bit tongue in cheek. They do
say humour is totally wasted on newsgroup. There's always someone who
fails to get ti..
If, OTOH, he pulls in front of you, then brakes sharply, then you *may*
have a defence. Although a common reason for doing that is an insurance
scam, and the brake lights will have been disconnected.

--
hugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 00:57:56 +0100, John Williamson
wrote:

Tailgating is *always* the fault of the driver in the rear. As is a
shunt caused by it.

********.
I rear-ended a **** who'd just pulled in front of me and then had to
slam on his brakes because of a ripple. Entirely his fault.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 16:26:44 +0100, "Roberts" wrote:

With Tailgating always let the person overtake you especially in Hampshire
where the police tailgate people to make them speed up so that they can be
nicked. If you do not speed they will give your vehicle a close inspection
when they stop you.

So turning on the pump that fires a light misting of used brake fluid
and engine oil from the nozzle under my rear bumper ensuring a
covering all over the windscreen of any tailgater isn't the correct
response then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 13, 12:57*am, John Williamson
wrote:

Tailgating is *always* the fault of the driver in the rear. As is a
shunt caused by it. Where I work, if you shunt into another vehicle from
its rear, it's an automatic disciplinary hearing, and, very likely, the
sack, or at the very least, a session with a very annoyed driving intructor.

I'd agree with tailgating (as a continuous verb), however there are
plenty of ways to get caught from the front on a motorway with heavy
traffic. If another driver cuts in ahead, you're in a position where
you are now "tailgating" unwittingly. The action to take next is
generally agreed to be to slow down and allow the appropriate gap to
re-open. However that itself takes time. You can't do this by heavy
braking, because the likelihood is that there's another idiot right
behind and tailgating you. It's considered as impolite to slam into
their front bumper as it is to go into the rear of the one ahead. If
(as is not entirely unlikely) this takes place in several lanes of
heavy traffic, all far too close together, then a shunt ahead can take
all four of you in one go, even after one driver in the middle driving
pretty much blamelessly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Andy
Dingley writes
wrote:

[...]

Hear, hear!

This sort of activity commonly happens near junctions when, before the
turn off, drivers realise they are in the wrong lane. Conversely,
drivers joining and immediately trying to push across to the outside
lane.

Signage in the approach to junctions appears adequate so, apart from
shooting the offenders, I have no solution. There is however, a way of
regulating the *joiners*: a solid white line on the inside lane
preventing lane changing for some distance. This already exists in
Portugal and Formula 1.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
news
In message om,
"dennis@home" writes

"Nightjar" wrote in message
om...

I have read that rigid tow bars are, however, a requirement when towing
on a motorway, but have not found the relevant legislation.

There is a minimum speed limit on motorways..

Well - having been shown to be wrong by several people are you going to
admit that you are wrong on this point?

Where am i wrong?
You try driving at 30 mph and see how long it is before they stop you.
There is a minimum speed on a motorway even if you only get done for driving
without due consideration.

there is a maximum of 4.5 m of rope allowed..
you can't reach the minimum speed limit without being done for dangerous
driving with only 4.5 m of spacing.

You're not driving (the engine is not running), you are being towed

Try that with the police when they pull you over for dangerous driving.

Stay off the roads dennis - you're not safe

Just how many accidents have you had geof?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
news
In message om,
"dennis@home" writes

"Nightjar" wrote in message

[...]

I wonder how many accidents you have caused and not seen in your rear view
mirror.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan Braggins" wrote in message
In article , Jethro wrote:

If it were a hydraulic failure, the idea is one will work if the other
fails. Of course if one has already failed...

Unless the wheel cylinder leaked and ****ed brake fluid all over the
shoes ....

Been there, done that, had the AA Relay van turn up without having to have
a patrol check it really wasn't a roadside repair first....
(It didn't just leak a bit past the seal - the casting had cracked.)

IIRC the AA won't even try to repair brakes, so if they believe you when you
report the problem they don't bother with a patrol.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Other Mike
writes
On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 16:26:44 +0100, "Roberts" wrote:

With Tailgating always let the person overtake you especially in Hampshire
where the police tailgate people to make them speed up so that they can be
nicked. If you do not speed they will give your vehicle a close inspection
when they stop you.

So turning on the pump that fires a light misting of used brake fluid
and engine oil from the nozzle under my rear bumper ensuring a
covering all over the windscreen of any tailgater isn't the correct
response then?

Just get yourself a Defender with towball set to optimum BMW radiator
height.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"hugh" ] wrote in message
news
Funny no-one ever complains about HGVs. Have you ever known one of those
pull into a layby to let the tail pass?

Yes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes

Hear, hear!

Or even here here.
--
hugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

Dennis has gone ver' ver' quiet all of a sudden

Some of us have gone on holiday and can't be bothered to get the computer
out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

hugh wrote:
In message , Tim Lamb
writes

Hear, hear!

Or even here here.

no.
hear hear as in 'hear him, hear him'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear,_hear
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message m,
"dennis@home" writes

"geoff" wrote in message
news
In message om,
"dennis@home" writes

"Nightjar" wrote in message
news:JtKdnXhzzPVmfRPTnZ2dnUVZ8vCdnZ2d@giganews. com...

I have read that rigid tow bars are, however, a requirement when
towing on a motorway, but have not found the relevant legislation.

There is a minimum speed limit on motorways..

Well - having been shown to be wrong by several people are you going
to admit that you are wrong on this point?

Where am i wrong?
You try driving at 30 mph and see how long it is before they stop you.
There is a minimum speed on a motorway

You say - There is a minimum speed limit on motorways
offence would be "driving below the speed limit"

even if you only get done for driving without due consideration.

So the ACTUAL offence would be "driving without due consideration"
(whatever), not "driving below the speed limit"

Stupid boy

there is a maximum of 4.5 m of rope allowed..
you can't reach the minimum speed limit without being done for
dangerous driving with only 4.5 m of spacing.

You're not driving (the engine is not running), you are being towed

Try that with the police when they pull you over for dangerous driving.

They never have done

Stay off the roads dennis - you're not safe

Just how many accidents have you had geof?

Two - both caused by someone else

How many have you seen in your rear view mirror?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message m,
"dennis@home" writes

"hugh" ] wrote in message
news
Funny no-one ever complains about HGVs. Have you ever known one of
those pull into a layby to let the tail pass?

Yes.

I presume that was the only way he could overtake you

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message m,
"dennis@home" writes

"geoff" wrote in message

Dennis has gone ver' ver' quiet all of a sudden

Some of us have gone on holiday and can't be bothered to get the
computer out.

How is Rhyl this time of year?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 20:52:42 +0100, hugh wrote:
Just get yourself a Defender with towball set to optimum BMW radiator
height.

:-) I knew someone who had a trailer hitch on their vehicle for that sole
possibility (well, not BMW-specific, just the offchance that someone
would slam into them) - they never had any intention of actually using it
for the intended purpose.

The ones I hate are those who pull out of a side-road right in front of
you (we get a lot of 30mph side-roads onto 55mph main roads where I am),
even when you have a completely clear road behind you, and if they'd only
waited a second or two... it's like they haven't even scanned the road at
all and have just thought "uh oh, car coming, better go now".

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 21:01:37 +0100, dennis@home wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

Dennis has gone ver' ver' quiet all of a sudden

Some of us have gone on holiday and can't be bothered to get the
computer out.

get the computer out of where?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

Dennis has gone ver' ver' quiet all of a sudden

Some of us have gone on holiday and can't be bothered to get the
computer out.

get the computer out of where?

He keeps a laptop in the freezer, to prolong battery life.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 22:29:38 +0100, geoff wrote:

You say - There is a minimum speed limit on motorways
offence would be "driving below the speed limit"

even if you only get done for driving without due consideration.

So the ACTUAL offence would be "driving without due consideration"
(whatever), not "driving below the speed limit"

Stupid boy

Aww, it's taken him days to come up with that wriggle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

Dennis has gone ver' ver' quiet all of a sudden
Some of us have gone on holiday and can't be bothered to get the
computer out.

get the computer out of where?

He keeps a laptop in the freezer, to prolong battery life.

OK, that was almost infinitely less disturbing that whatever I was
thinking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 22:29:38 +0100, geoff wrote:

You say - There is a minimum speed limit on motorways
offence would be "driving below the speed limit"

even if you only get done for driving without due consideration.

So the ACTUAL offence would be "driving without due consideration"
(whatever), not "driving below the speed limit"

Stupid boy

Aww, it's taken him days to come up with that wriggle.

Lowlife with no moral fibre or backbone that he is

Dennis the Invertebrate

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
hugh ] wrote:
Just get yourself a Defender with towball set to optimum BMW radiator
height.

Hmm. I saw a Rangie hit from the rear on a motorway at speed by an
ordinary car. Not going very much faster either. It flipped over. And
over. And over. The car stopped safely.

--
*What boots up must come down *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jules Richardson wrote:
The ones I hate are those who pull out of a side-road right in front of
you (we get a lot of 30mph side-roads onto 55mph main roads where I am),
even when you have a completely clear road behind you, and if they'd
only waited a second or two... it's like they haven't even scanned the
road at all and have just thought "uh oh, car coming, better go now".

And, of course, never accelerate quickly up to the speed limit. In such a
hurry they have to pull out and force you to slow - but then dawdle.

--
*Of course I'm against sin; I'm against anything that I'm too old to enjoy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 23:13:02 +0100, Jules Richardson
wrote:

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 20:52:42 +0100, hugh wrote:
Just get yourself a Defender with towball set to optimum BMW radiator
height.

:-) I knew someone who had a trailer hitch on their vehicle for that sole
possibility (well, not BMW-specific, just the offchance that someone
would slam into them) - they never had any intention of actually using it
for the intended purpose.

The ones I hate are those who pull out of a side-road right in front of
you (we get a lot of 30mph side-roads onto 55mph main roads where I am),
even when you have a completely clear road behind you, and if they'd only
waited a second or two... it's like they haven't even scanned the road at
all and have just thought "uh oh, car coming, better go now".

cheers

Jules

I'd happily put wager on everyone who does that, suggesting that they will
turn off again in a short distance. The more pushy they are, the shorter
the distance before turning off. Might lose the odd one, but not many IME.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , hugh
] writes
In message , The Other Mike
writes
On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 16:26:44 +0100, "Roberts" wrote:

With Tailgating always let the person overtake you especially in Hampshire
where the police tailgate people to make them speed up so that they can be
nicked. If you do not speed they will give your vehicle a close inspection
when they stop you.

So turning on the pump that fires a light misting of used brake fluid
and engine oil from the nozzle under my rear bumper ensuring a
covering all over the windscreen of any tailgater isn't the correct
response then?

Just get yourself a Defender with towball set to optimum BMW radiator
height.

My Hilux one works.

Unfortunately this particular BMW was black, driving on sidelights and
not visible in my mirrors. So I reversed into him! Visible damage was
only the number plate but who knows what the insurers made of it.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 22:29:38 +0100, geoff wrote:

You say - There is a minimum speed limit on motorways
offence would be "driving below the speed limit"

even if you only get done for driving without due consideration.

So the ACTUAL offence would be "driving without due consideration"
(whatever), not "driving below the speed limit"

Stupid boy

Aww, it's taken him days to come up with that wriggle.

Lowlife with no moral fibre or backbone that he is

Dennis the Invertebrate

dennis and speed limits do not mix. The special needs jellyfish seems to
want to drive at exactly the maximum speed limit regardless of the road
conditions.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-10-14, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 20:52:42 +0100, hugh wrote:
Just get yourself a Defender with towball set to optimum BMW radiator
height.

:-) I knew someone who had a trailer hitch on their vehicle for that sole
possibility (well, not BMW-specific, just the offchance that someone
would slam into them) - they never had any intention of actually using it
for the intended purpose.

It doesn't work. We've run Land Rovers of one kind or another for 20 years
now, and they all have 1/2 ton of rusty scrap iron with a ball hitch on
it hanging off the back. We still get tailgated.

At least a Landie makes a mess of the tailgater if the inevitable happens.
About eight years ago someone in a Rover 800 tailgated my SIII most of the
way down a country lane towards where I was working at the time. As we got
close to the gate the car in front stopped and the Rover driver ran into
the back of the Landie. The bang took out his radiator and both
headlights/wings and chipped some paint off the rear crossmember of the
Landie.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

Two - both caused by someone else

So you claim.

How many have you seen in your rear view mirror?

I expect one more than you as I actually use my mirrors.

It was quite scary for a moment, having stopped in a queue on the M6 and
seeing a jack knifed tanker sliding along a hundred yards behind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om,
"dennis@home" writes

"geoff" wrote in message

Two - both caused by someone else

So you claim.

How many have you seen in your rear view mirror?

I expect one more than you as I actually use my mirrors.

Everyone does, that's what they're there for

stupid boy

It was quite scary for a moment, having stopped in a queue on the M6
and seeing a jack knifed tanker sliding along a hundred yards behind.

The one that had swerved to avoid you seconds earlier ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

Dennis has gone ver' ver' quiet all of a sudden

Some of us have gone on holiday and can't be bothered to get the
computer out.

get the computer out of where?

Its a laptop.

Ask the doctor to increase your dose, dennis: its obvious you are still
completely irrational.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jules Richardson
writes
On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 20:52:42 +0100, hugh wrote:
Just get yourself a Defender with towball set to optimum BMW radiator
height.

:-) I knew someone who had a trailer hitch on their vehicle for that sole
possibility (well, not BMW-specific, just the offchance that someone
would slam into them) - they never had any intention of actually using it
for the intended purpose.

The ones I hate are those who pull out of a side-road right in front of
you (we get a lot of 30mph side-roads onto 55mph main roads where I am),
even when you have a completely clear road behind you, and if they'd only
waited a second or two... it's like they haven't even scanned the road at
all and have just thought "uh oh, car coming, better go now".

cheers

Jules

And then turn off again 50 yards up the road
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
hugh ] wrote:
Just get yourself a Defender with towball set to optimum BMW radiator
height.

Hmm. I saw a Rangie hit from the rear on a motorway at speed by an
ordinary car. Not going very much faster either. It flipped over. And
over. And over. The car stopped safely.

Don't confuse Range Rovers with proper Land Rovers
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , hugh
] writes
In message , The Other
Mike writes
[...]

The whiplash claim?
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , hugh
] writes
In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , hugh
] writes
In message , The Other
Mike writes
[...]

Nothing said.

I think they had simply got too close because I was footling about
having missed the *entry* to a shed car park. Further back, I would have
seen them and they could have thought of sounding the horn.

There is an apocryphal tale of somebody ridiculing the suggestion that
car bumpers should all be the same height on the basis that you couldn't
compare a mini and a rolls. Apparently, at that time, they were the
same!

regards

--
Tim Lamb

OT Towing mirrors TMC[_2_] UK diy 14 April 21st 11 03:51 PM
Vehicle ownership and changing vehicle registered keeper PM UK diy 46 May 2nd 08 08:21 AM
Towing a bike... Father Kylesmas UK diy 2 December 20th 06 08:26 PM
Towing bracket plans needed ? doc UK diy 21 February 9th 06 05:47 PM
Towing Vehicle Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 9 December 11th 04 02:26 PM