Too_Many_Tools

Default Towing Vehicle

To bring my HSM treasures home, I have a 6x10 trailer rated for
3500lbs. I currently use a 1979 Ford pickup (V8) that has overdrive.
While this setup has worked well for local hauls, I find the overdrive
set up for the days of 55 MPH highway speed limits lacking when I go to
do long distance hauling. So I think it is time to upgrade the pickup.
I would like to stay with a 1/2 ton pickup for the towing vehicle.
What you recommend for the vehicle?
What options and accessories would you have?

Thanks

TMT

Richard Ferguson

A late model 1/2 ton full sized V8 pickup will tow some fairly heavy
loads, but a 3/4 ton is a better choice for heavier trailers (over 5000
pounds). Be sure to check the axle ratios, the towing capacity is a
function of the axle ratio. The towing package is a plus. An automatic
transmission oil cooler is a must, comes with the towing package, but
can be retrofitted. Automatic transmission vehicles usually have higher
tow ratings, all else being equal.

Look at the towing information for the current production Ford, GMC, and
Dodge. That will help you understand the variables and options involved
in towing capacity, which can be a little complex.

The other warning that I would give is not to believe the rated towing
capacity, shoot for maybe 75% of the maximum rating. The brochures lie,
usually by assuming a stripped truck, and omitting the weight of
options, etc. The actual towing capacity is obtained by putting the
vehicle on a scale, with people and gear in it, and then subtracting
that number from the GCVWR. The GVWR is on a plate in the vehicle, it
is a little harder to find the GCVWR, which is a function of axle ratio,
etc. More on this topic at my website.

http://peregrino.home.att.net/camper/weights.html

Richard

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

To bring my HSM treasures home, I have a 6x10 trailer rated for
3500lbs. I currently use a 1979 Ford pickup (V8) that has overdrive.
While this setup has worked well for local hauls, I find the overdrive
set up for the days of 55 MPH highway speed limits lacking when I go to
do long distance hauling. So I think it is time to upgrade the pickup.
I would like to stay with a 1/2 ton pickup for the towing vehicle.
What you recommend for the vehicle?
What options and accessories would you have?

Thanks

TMT

Sven

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

To bring my HSM treasures home, I have a 6x10 trailer rated for
3500lbs. I currently use a 1979 Ford pickup (V8) that has overdrive.
While this setup has worked well for local hauls, I find the overdrive
set up for the days of 55 MPH highway speed limits lacking when I go to
do long distance hauling. So I think it is time to upgrade the pickup.
I would like to stay with a 1/2 ton pickup for the towing vehicle.
What you recommend for the vehicle?
What options and accessories would you have?

Thanks

TMT

This summer I purchased a used 2000 C2500HD Chevrolet equipped with a 5.7,
3.73 gears and 4L80E trans that I use to haul my 8' popup pickup camper and
a 3500 lb cargo trailer. I have been real pleased with this truck so far
although if you are towing in mountain areas a larger engine might be wise.
This truck came equipped with a trans cooler something I believe is a must
when towing.
Steve

0_Qed

Richard Ferguson wrote:

....snip...

Added to what Richard suggests ...

A 92_ish GMC turbo diesel V-8 aughta do nicely ...
18 to 20 mpg unloaded ... 10mpg at 70mph w/7000lbs of cargo trlr ...
but ...
=locate= a good GMC diesel tech 1st ... .

I'd opt for all_whl trlr elec brakes, a class IV recvr, & an equalizer
hitch .
The hydraulic 'assist' tends to "push" & jacknife.
'Elec' is the best on 'wet' & 'snow'.
3rd wheel( & goose neck ) is nicer, but pricy.

Its been my observation( good or bad ) that 3/4T used gassers arent
quite
a s well maintained as 3/4T used diesels.

OD use on an 'auto' is OK on the 'flat' .. with a big diesel ...
else, 'hills' ... use 3rd & slo down a bit ... 60 ???

"Toys' tend to get bigger, & more expensive,
as boys change "sizes".

Ed.
Pete C.

Personally I'd tend to avoid the "1/2" ton pickups from any
manufacturer, as far as I can tell this line is where all their profit
margins are and the seem to get really lax at building an actual
"truck".

The heavier you go i.e. 3/4t or 1t there seems to be less difference
between brands and there seems to be more "truck". Another good thing is
that in those classes you can get one over 8,600 GVW so it doesn't come
with a claymore, er... airbag in your steering wheel.

Diesel is nice, but not essential and it does add several thousand
dollars to the cost. Automatic transmission is also not essential. Axle
ratio *is* essential, if you primarily want a vehicle for towing then
get a 4.56 axle. It is easier to change to a larger tire size if you
find the axle is a little too low for your tastes than it is to change
the axle gears.

Personally I hate automatics, and I find that the diesels in even the 1t
trucks are a little to tinney / noisy for my taste. I like the diesels
you find in the mid sized box trucks like the International 4300s.

I have a 97' Chev K3500 with the 7.4l gas engine, 5sp manual, 4.56 axles
and dual wheels and it tows heavy stuff quite nicely. On one recent haul
I had a 1,571# electric forklift battery in the back of the truck over
the axle and the remaining 4,700# forklift on an 18' flatbed trailer in
tow and it did just fine. I backed that collection up a 650' narrow
winding uphill driveway without issues, even with the manual.

The last big tow I did was 1,700 miles pulling a 24' auto/cargo trailer
that weighed about 6,000#. Up hills, down hills, mostly on cruise
control, mostly in 5th gear, only downshifting on the worst hills to
4th, no problems. Granted I got about 9.5 mpg on that trip down from
the normal 11.5 mpg, but it sure handled fine.

Pete C.

0_Qed wrote:

Richard Ferguson wrote:

[...]

The local boat shop bought a used land rover.
When I teased him about being a yuppie he told me it was rated to tow
5000 lbs. Seems there is quite a savings on buying these a yr or two
old.

JohnF

No matter what you end up choosing put the largest tranny cooler
(assuming an automatic) you can get on it. That seems to be the most
common weak spot on all newer vehicles truck or car. 4:56 gears are
WAY overkill, 4:10 at most with an overdrive and 3:56\3:73 is probably
fine for moderatly heavy towing. My '86 F150 has 4:30 gears and with
the OD tranny I turn about 2200 at freeway speed and 3000 in plain old
drive. I run 33" tires so with stock tires you will never need "lower"
than 4:10's.

JohnF

On 9 Dec 2004 15:02:14 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

To bring my HSM treasures home, I have a 6x10 trailer rated for
3500lbs. I currently use a 1979 Ford pickup (V8) that has overdrive.
While this setup has worked well for local hauls, I find the overdrive
set up for the days of 55 MPH highway speed limits lacking when I go to
do long distance hauling. So I think it is time to upgrade the pickup.
I would like to stay with a 1/2 ton pickup for the towing vehicle.
What you recommend for the vehicle?
What options and accessories would you have?

Thanks

TMT

Richard Ferguson

Pete is right that for the heavy duty trucks, the towing capacity isn't
affected much by stick vs. automatic. (I have an F350 in the driveway).
For the light duty trucks, SUVs, etc. it is a different story. In
many cases, there is a dramatic difference in the towing rating for the
stick vs. the automatic, favoring the automatic. For example, a
friend's SUV has a tow rating of 5000 pounds with the automatic, and
only 3500 pounds for a stick. I believe that the half ton trucks often
have a similar and large difference in the towing capacity between stick
and automatic.

I am not sure why there is such a large discrepancy for light trucks vs.
heavy trucks, it could be as simple as putting bigger clutches in the HD
trucks, or maybe first gear is lower in the heavier trucks.

Richard

0_Qed wrote:

Richard Ferguson wrote:

[...]

Martin H. Eastburn

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

To bring my HSM treasures home, I have a 6x10 trailer rated for
3500lbs. I currently use a 1979 Ford pickup (V8) that has overdrive.
While this setup has worked well for local hauls, I find the overdrive
set up for the days of 55 MPH highway speed limits lacking when I go to
do long distance hauling. So I think it is time to upgrade the pickup.
I would like to stay with a 1/2 ton pickup for the towing vehicle.
What you recommend for the vehicle?
What options and accessories would you have?

Thanks

TMT

The overdrive is 4th gear in most cars and trucks. Dad had one (hand brake type of lever)
on his station wagon in the middle 50's.

I suggest :

1. LL gear - lower than low. easier to take off with heavy loads.
2. Power hitch lift.
3. Optional front bumper weights.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Pete C.

I think it is the torque multiplication of the automatic's torque
converter before it reaches stall speed that allows them to get away
with what is really an undersized engine for the load. With the stick
you've "got what you've got" and if the engine doesn't produce enough
torque and the stick doesn't have a propper "granny low" you end up
toasting your clutch trying to get the load moving.

Pete C.