Richard Ferguson

A late model 1/2 ton full sized V8 pickup will tow some fairly heavy
loads, but a 3/4 ton is a better choice for heavier trailers (over 5000
pounds). Be sure to check the axle ratios, the towing capacity is a
function of the axle ratio. The towing package is a plus. An automatic
transmission oil cooler is a must, comes with the towing package, but
can be retrofitted. Automatic transmission vehicles usually have higher
tow ratings, all else being equal.

Look at the towing information for the current production Ford, GMC, and
Dodge. That will help you understand the variables and options involved
in towing capacity, which can be a little complex.

The other warning that I would give is not to believe the rated towing
capacity, shoot for maybe 75% of the maximum rating. The brochures lie,
usually by assuming a stripped truck, and omitting the weight of
options, etc. The actual towing capacity is obtained by putting the
vehicle on a scale, with people and gear in it, and then subtracting
that number from the GCVWR. The GVWR is on a plate in the vehicle, it
is a little harder to find the GCVWR, which is a function of axle ratio,
etc. More on this topic at my website.

http://peregrino.home.att.net/camper/weights.html

Richard

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

To bring my HSM treasures home, I have a 6x10 trailer rated for
3500lbs. I currently use a 1979 Ford pickup (V8) that has overdrive.
While this setup has worked well for local hauls, I find the overdrive
set up for the days of 55 MPH highway speed limits lacking when I go to
do long distance hauling. So I think it is time to upgrade the pickup.
I would like to stay with a 1/2 ton pickup for the towing vehicle.
What you recommend for the vehicle?
What options and accessories would you have?

Thanks

TMT