JohnF

No matter what you end up choosing put the largest tranny cooler
(assuming an automatic) you can get on it. That seems to be the most
common weak spot on all newer vehicles truck or car. 4:56 gears are
WAY overkill, 4:10 at most with an overdrive and 3:56\3:73 is probably
fine for moderatly heavy towing. My '86 F150 has 4:30 gears and with
the OD tranny I turn about 2200 at freeway speed and 3000 in plain old
drive. I run 33" tires so with stock tires you will never need "lower"
than 4:10's.

JohnF

On 9 Dec 2004 15:02:14 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

To bring my HSM treasures home, I have a 6x10 trailer rated for
3500lbs. I currently use a 1979 Ford pickup (V8) that has overdrive.
While this setup has worked well for local hauls, I find the overdrive
set up for the days of 55 MPH highway speed limits lacking when I go to
do long distance hauling. So I think it is time to upgrade the pickup.
I would like to stay with a 1/2 ton pickup for the towing vehicle.
What you recommend for the vehicle?
What options and accessories would you have?

Thanks

TMT