Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Electric Shavers - mens views needed

Hi,

I need to find out what sort of electric shaver might be good for my
father. he is 88 years old and getting to cut himself a bit with a razor. he
uses a Gillette Turbo at the moment. As he keeps cutting himself I wondered
if an electric might be better? he used to use an electric shaver when I was
a child - a Rolls make , that goes back a few years to the 1950's/60's I
reckon. he liked it but didn't find a suitable replacement after and went
on to wet shave.

I was looking at the TV ads for the Braun ( the one that says you can shave
off a weekend beard) but there are several of them and I don't know which to
get. Not knowing much about mens shaving I am a bit stuck Has anyone got one
of those shavers who might be able to tell me which is best?

Thanks for any advice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2011 14:57, sweetheart wrote:

I was looking at the TV ads for the Braun ( the one that says you can
shave off a weekend beard) but there are several of them and I don't
know which to get. Not knowing much about mens shaving I am a bit stuck
Has anyone got one of those shavers who might be able to tell me which
is best?

Bosch PMF-180 Multifunctional All Rounder with the delta sanding head....

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 14:57:05 -0000, sweetheart wrote:

Hi,

I need to find out what sort of electric shaver might be good for my
father. he is 88 years old and getting to cut himself a bit with a razor. he
uses a Gillette Turbo at the moment. As he keeps cutting himself I wondered
if an electric might be better? he used to use an electric shaver when I was
a child - a Rolls make , that goes back a few years to the 1950's/60's I
reckon. he liked it but didn't find a suitable replacement after and went
on to wet shave.

I was looking at the TV ads for the Braun ( the one that says you can shave
off a weekend beard) but there are several of them and I don't know which to
get. Not knowing much about mens shaving I am a bit stuck Has anyone got one
of those shavers who might be able to tell me which is best?

Thanks for any advice.

If he has always been a wet shave man, he will hate anything electric. I
have tried the wet Phillishave, and it still comes nowhere near to a wet
shave. I always feel dirty still, without a 'proper' shave.

By Gillette Turbo, do you mean the Mach 3 Turbo? If so, and you want to
upgrade him, try the Fusion Power. I know it looks ridiculous with its 5
blades, but it really is absolutely the best wet shave I have ever used.
And it is very difficult to cut yourself using it (apart from pimples/spots
etc).

The blades are expensive, but they last a couple of weeks each. And I have
found that you can use the cheaper 'non-power' blades on the power razor,
if you have one or two non-powered shaves with them first.
--
Cheers

JW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 10, 3:59*pm, JW wrote:
[...]

Why?

Best thing I ever did was switch to electric.

No problems in switching my elderly father (80+) either.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 08:07:59 -0800 (PST), Man at B&Q wrote:

On Jan 10, 3:59*pm, JW wrote:
[...]

It is my view. I am a man. OP said "men's views needed".
--
Cheers

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article ,
sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:
Hi,

I need to find out what sort of electric shaver might be
good for my father. he is 88 years old and getting to
cut himself a bit with a razor.

[snip]
I had a Phillips rechargable which I liked until it stopped
holding the charge. I still use it plugged in occasionally
and it's fine that way.

I bought a 'titanium' (can't remember who makes 'em) But it
tended to leave my face raw.

Now use a Braun and I can rinse it clean under the tap. On
balance though, I think I prefer the ancient Philishave, and
I often use a Gillette 'fusion' wet shaver which seems good
and safe

I was looking at the TV ads for the Braun ( the one that
says you can shave off a weekend beard) but there are
several of them and I don't know which to get. Not
knowing much about mens shaving I am a bit stuck Has
anyone got one of those shavers who might be able to
tell me which is best?

My Braun needs new head/ cutters every 18 months (about
40-50 quid a time)
Thanks for any advice.

John

--
John Mulrooney

War does not determine who is right - only who is left
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Man
at B&Q writes
On Jan 10, 3:59*pm, JW wrote:
[...]

AOL.

I think trying to make your face as smooth a a babies bum is overrated.

No direct experience but I think you should avoid the foil/reciprocating
cutter types if he is wanting to cut a 2 or 3 day growth.

I use a Phillips which also has a flip out cutter for sideboards etc.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 10, 3:59*pm, JW wrote:

If he has always been a wet shave man, he will hate anything electric. I

As a wet-shaver I agree, but SwH did actually ask for opinions on
electrics. MBQ said

"Man at B&Q" wrote:

Why? Best thing I ever did was switch to electric.
No problems in switching my elderly father (80+) either.

So -- MBQ: what type(s) do you and your Dad use?

Personally, I bought a little one from Aldi a couple of years ago to
"tidy myself up" at the office when I had later-day meetings. I was
amazed at how effective this shaver is, but of course I only ever use it
very infrequently: it would fall apart if used daily I'm sure.

However its enormous virtue is that it's RECHARGEABLE; I suppose they
all are, these days, but I'd say that this is a "Must-have", SwH.

Finally: if Bosch made shavers, I'd buy one of those, based upon my
policy with hedgetrimmers and chainsaws.

J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 16:55:40 +0000, Another John wrote:

On Jan 10, 3:59*pm, JW wrote:

If he has always been a wet shave man, he will hate anything electric. I

As a wet-shaver I agree, but SwH did actually ask for opinions on
electrics. MBQ said

Fair point. However, I saw the mention of the existing razor, and wondered
if the solution might not necessarily be electric.
--
Cheers

JW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 10, 2:57*pm, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
Hi,

I need to find out what sort of *electric shaver might be good for my
father. he is 88 years old and getting to cut himself a bit with a razor. he
uses a Gillette Turbo at the moment. *As he keeps cutting himself I wondered
if an electric might be better? he used to use an electric shaver when I was
a child *- a Rolls make , that goes back a few years to the 1950's/60's I
reckon. *he liked it but didn't find a suitable replacement after and went
on to wet shave.

I was looking at the TV ads for the *Braun ( the one that says you can shave
off a weekend beard) but there are several of them and I don't know which to
get. Not knowing much about mens shaving I am a bit stuck Has anyone got one
of those shavers who might be able to tell me which is best?

Thanks for any advice.

Oh dear, sexist again -- as if women didn't use electric razors :-)

Seriously, though, no electric razor designed for use on the face is
going to be much use with growth longer than a couple of millimetres.

That said, you want a rechargeable one -- much simpler in use.

And you'd be better IMHO with one that's not going to need frequent
replacement of easily-damaged foils.

My personal opinion is that you could do a lot worse than looking at
one of the Philips rotary-headed models. Without spending a lot of
money something like this
www.shavers.co.uk/shopping.php?product_id=846
might meet the bill nicely.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 15:59:29 +0000, JW wrote:
If he has always been a wet shave man, he will hate anything electric. I
have tried the wet Phillishave, and it still comes nowhere near to a wet
shave. I always feel dirty still, without a 'proper' shave.

Electric shavers always seem to make my skin feel sore and irritated - I
never get that with a wet shave. Something to do with the heat produced
by rotating blades, I assume.

OTOH, I get annoyed at wet-shave blades where the silly little foam strip
wears out and renders the head useless long before the actual cutting
blade has gone dull; I keep toying with the idea of getting a cut-throat
razor (which doesn't exactly help the OP much :-)

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 19:59:39 +0000, SS wrote:

"John MacLeod" wrote in message
[...]

I also go with the philips rotary type, found them much better than the
foil (braun type)
I use a wet on hols but for ease and everyday use prefer electric.

I have one of the Philips ones, and it works well. And I don't have to
keep on replacing foils!

shavers.co.uk seems quite competitive too. Bookmarked for future
reference...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If you want to get him an electric, it must have the ability to cut the
longer whiskers that were missed the other electric shave left behind.
Mine has a double foil and a whisker killer between then. I had a
Phillips many years ago, but it didn't give a consistently good shave.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Another vote here for the Philips rotary jobs. Apart from anything else
they are a damn sight quieter than the oscillating ones.

I bought mine by looking for one with a decent charging circuit - some
are charged by waiting for the motor to slow down (= needs charging)
then plugging in until the batteries start to overheat.

Make sure it has a beard trimmer - but any decent one will - for sideboards.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 08:07:59 -0800 (PST), Man at B&Q wrote:

If he has always been a wet shave man, he will hate anything

electric.

Why?

When I tried an electric it left a very short, but still noticeable
to the fingers, stubble. I felt I hadn't had a shave. Wet with a twin
blade razor doesn't do that.

No problems in switching my elderly father (80+) either.

My Dad started to use an electric once into his 80's but when he
wanted a proper shave it would be a wet one. The move was like the
OP's father starting to cut himself to much as the skin of the face
loses it's firmness and tone.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

*"Man at B&Q" wrote:

Why? *Best thing I ever did was switch to electric.
No problems in switching my elderly father (80+) either.

So -- MBQ: *what type(s) do you and your Dad use?

He was a lifetime wet shaver, mostly safety razor and then
disposables. He used an electric in hospital and asked for one when he
moved into care. That was a fairly cheap Braun single foil. I then
bought a similar one. He's no longer with us and I upgraded to a Braun
Series 3 in the 1/2 price offer last Xmas when I needed new foil/
cutters, which cost nearly as much as the original cheap model.

No more razor burn or skin irritation. Best of all, no faffing about
wet shaving every morning.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 10, 5:01*pm, John MacLeod
wrote:
[...]

More utter tosh about electric razors. It's funny, I don't have any
problems at all when I occasionally grow a comedy beard to amuse the
kids or a moustache for Movember.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 10, 3:59 pm, JW wrote:
[...]

You wriote as though it were fact.

I am a man.

Looks Me too!

OP said "men's views needed".

That's what you got:-)

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 10, 9:42*pm, Andy Champ wrote:
Another vote here for the Philips rotary jobs.

And another. Mine is years old and, apart from the battery's capacity
being reduced (probably only runs for about 45 minutes on a charge
rather than the advertised 60), it's otherwise as good as new.

One of the things I really like about the Philips is how easy it is to
clean. Just rinse under running hot water.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 21:42:08 +0000, Andy Champ
wrote:

[...]

+1.

You'll not get as close a shave with an electric and they struggle to
cope with a few days growth but they win on the convenience front.

The only problem is that the replacement foil/blades cost as much as a
whole new shaver.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 01:15:26 -0800, Man at B&Q wrote:

On Jan 10, 5:01Â*pm, John MacLeod wrote:
On Jan 10, 2:57Â*pm, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

Hi,

I need to find out what sort of Â*electric shaver might be good for my
father. he is 88 years old and getting to cut himself a bit with a
razor. he uses a Gillette Turbo at the moment. Â*As he keeps cutting
himself I wondered if an electric might be better? he used to use an
electric shaver when I was a child Â*- a Rolls make , that goes back a
few years to the 1950's/60's I reckon. Â*he liked it but didn't find a
suitable replacement after and went on to wet shave.

I was looking at the TV ads for the Â*Braun ( the one that says you
can shave off a weekend beard) but there are several of them and I
don't know which to get. Not knowing much about mens shaving I am a
bit stuck Has anyone got one of those shavers who might be able to
tell me which is best?

Thanks for any advice.

Oh dear, sexist again -- as if women didn't use electric razors :-)

Seriously, though, no electric razor designed for use on the face is
going to be much use with growth longer than a couple of millimetres.

More utter tosh about electric razors. It's funny, I don't have any
problems at all when I occasionally grow a comedy beard to amuse the
kids or a moustache for Movember.

The real point is that faces and beards vary. Some work best with wet
shaving, some better with foils, some with rotaries...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

All need a bit of patience to get your beard used to them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 01:12:53 -0800 (PST), Man at B&Q wrote:

No more razor burn or skin irritation. Best of all, no faffing about
wet shaving every morning.

MBQ

You state that as though it is fact. Yet I find I get more irritation from
an electric shave (yes, with the wet/lubed type, as well as dry) than from
a good clean wet shave. And I can wet shave in just a couple of minutes -
so don't really see the problem.
--
Cheers

JW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 10, 3:59 pm, JW wrote:
[...]

No. I stated my opinion.

--
Cheers

JW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge writes:
Best thing I ever did was switch to electric.

Best thing I ever did was grow a beard.

Same here, although I still shave my neck and upper cheeks.
I had a Remington for donkey's years, because it doesn't get much use.
Even managed to get a new foil for it some 20 years ofter buying it
when it was long obsolete.

I broke the Remington whilst changing the rechargeable batteries in it
for the second time. At that point, I went out and bought a Braun.
The Bruan is basically dead 3 years on, and remember this is with much
less use than someone clean-shaven would have given it. The foil is
worn out, but no one stocks it for this 3 year old model anymore, and
if I do find stock, it will be nearly £30. The beard trimmer went
blunt quickly with very little use, and the integrated beard trimmer
was a key feature of this model. (Fortunately I still have a separate
20 year old Braun beard trimmer which works fine.) So I'm having to
look around again, having got very poor service from this Braun.

Features I look for:
Fast recharge.
Ability to use directly on mains when batteries are completely flat.
I'm not interested in being able to hold it under a tap.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 10:52:08 -0000, John wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

Very true. One other big issue with electric shavers is that it's an
expensive mistake when you buy the wrong one. It's not really the sort of
thing that you can go into a shop and try a load out. I bought the wet/dry
Philishave system with the gels. At the time it was about £120. I didn't
get on with it, and so had effectively wasted £120. Still got it somewhere.
I must have used it perhaps 50 times.
--
Cheers

JW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JW wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 10:52:08 -0000, John wrote:
All need a bit of patience to get your beard used to them.

Very true. One other big issue with electric shavers is that it's an
expensive mistake when you buy the wrong one. It's not really the sort of
thing that you can go into a shop and try a load out. I bought the wet/dry
Philishave system with the gels. At the time it was about £120. I didn't
get on with it, and so had effectively wasted £120. Still got it somewhere.
I must have used it perhaps 50 times.

Blimey. The last Philishave I bought cost under thirty quid, and does an
excellent job. Charge the AA cells once a week or so, or buy a couple if
I forget.

I still get a smoother result with a Gilette Blue II, though.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 11, 11:10*am, JW wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 01:12:53 -0800 (PST), Man at B&Q wrote:
No more razor burn or skin irritation. Best of all, no faffing about
wet shaving every morning.

MBQ

You state that as though it is fact.

It is. I get no more razor burn, etc...

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 10, 5:01 pm, John wrote:
[...]

It takes several weeks for the facial skin to recover from 'scrape
shaving' to the point where a rotary becomes truly effective. I've used
philishaves for about sixty years now since I was a Philips apprentice
in 1953. I tried and experienced several of 'the others' during barrack
room sharing doing National Service but the Philips was always the
fastest and by far the quietest. Nowadays my daily shave takes about a
minute including cleaning the shaver using a wet &/or dry Nivea for Men
version.
http://shop.philips.com/store?Action...ctID=146733800
http://shop.philips.com/store?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&Locale=en_G B&SiteID=rpeeub2c&productID=146733800

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2011 10:20, Mark wrote:

You'll not get as close a shave with an electric and they struggle to
cope with a few days growth but they win on the convenience front.

If in that situation steam your face in the shower first, dry it, then
try it. Works for me

--
Adrian 'Worzel' C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:
OTOH, I get annoyed at wet-shave blades where the silly little foam strip
wears out and renders the head useless long before the actual cutting
blade has gone dull;

I get annoyed at the TV adverts that show that all you need to do with
a wet shave is swipe, swipe, swipe, all done. Lies!!! It's scrape
scrape
scraaapppe, scrape scrape scrape scraaapppe, scrape, scrape scrape,
rinse, flick, scrape, scrape, scrape, rinse, flick, scrape, etc.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 12:13:17 -0800 (PST), jgharston wrote:

Jules Richardson wrote:
OTOH, I get annoyed at wet-shave blades where the silly little foam strip
wears out and renders the head useless long before the actual cutting
blade has gone dull;

I get annoyed at the TV adverts that show that all you need to do with
a wet shave is swipe, swipe, swipe, all done. Lies!!! It's scrape
scrape
scraaapppe, scrape scrape scrape scraaapppe, scrape, scrape scrape,
rinse, flick, scrape, scrape, scrape, rinse, flick, scrape, etc.

JGH

I am a fussy shaver and need to get every last bristle including those just
inside the nose. Wet shave with Fusion (non-vibrating) - shaving oil
(cheapest) - shave down and up - smoother than a babies bum - 5 minutes max
- blade lasts 1 calendar month (in case I forget to change it) - jobs a
gud'n
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Huge writes:
[...]

You could do worse than try one of these -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=hotukdeals-21
Watch it for a few days and you'll get it cheaper, £30 at the mo but has
been £15. A set of new blades are £30.
Charges in about 1 hr and will also run on mains.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote on Jan 10, 2011:

Hi,

I need to find out what sort of electric shaver might be good for my
father. he is 88 years old and getting to cut himself a bit with a razor. he
uses a Gillette Turbo at the moment. As he keeps cutting himself I wondered
if an electric might be better? he used to use an electric shaver when I was
a child - a Rolls make , that goes back a few years to the 1950's/60's I
reckon. he liked it but didn't find a suitable replacement after and went
on to wet shave.

I was looking at the TV ads for the Braun ( the one that says you can shave
off a weekend beard) but there are several of them and I don't know which to
get. Not knowing much about mens shaving I am a bit stuck Has anyone got one
of those shavers who might be able to tell me which is best?

Thanks for any advice.

I've used many electric razors over the last 50 years and in that time
they've improved vastly.

My current one is by far the best - a Philips rotary rechargeable. I can
shave in less than a minute, it's very quiet, and I can rinse it under the
hot tap to get rid of the bristles. The rechargeable battery lasts for nearly
two months between charges so I can take it on holiday without worrying about
a charger.

Oh, and it cost about £50 two years ago.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S wrote:
I am a fussy shaver and need to get every last bristle including those just
inside the nose.

I've hit that age where they seem to grow faster then anything else.
Nothing else but to get in ee! with argh! the tweezers orhh!!

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2011 15:59, JW wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 14:57:05 -0000, sweetheart wrote:

By Gillette Turbo, do you mean the Mach 3 Turbo? If so, and you want to
upgrade him, try the Fusion Power. I know it looks ridiculous with its 5
blades, but it really is absolutely the best wet shave I have ever used.
And it is very difficult to cut yourself using it (apart from pimples/spots
etc).

The blades are expensive, but they last a couple of weeks each. And I have
found that you can use the cheaper 'non-power' blades on the power razor,
if you have one or two non-powered shaves with them first.

Heh. My 16-year-old, who currently sports nothing more than the
occasional bit of bumf on his upper lip, got one of those, and I
resisted the opportunity for a bit of parental teasing as to why 5
blades were required to shift it. I then discovered that he was using
the blades (purchased with the family supermarket shopping) precisely
once each, and then binning them, because he thought "that's what you
were supposed to do"!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"brass monkey" wrote in message
b.com...

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Features I look for:
Fast recharge.
Ability to use directly on mains when batteries are completely flat.
I'm not interested in being able to hold it under a tap.

You could do worse than try one of these -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=hotukdeals-21
Watch it for a few days and you'll get it cheaper, £30 at the mo but has
been £15. A set of new blades are £30.
Charges in about 1 hr and will also run on mains.

Thanks for that. Phillips seems to be coming up quite a lot here. Certainly
being cheaper it wouldnt be " waste" if it didnt work. My dad doesnt have
such a strong beard - at least I dont think he does. I did buy one of
those really cheap wet and dry things of bid TV but I think it was foil and
both my husband and dad said it was not very good , although it did shave
them both. I put that down to it being cheap and a travel job.

But I am looking at the phillips as a try out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , davidlobsterpot601
@hotmail.com says...
I then discovered that he was using
the blades (purchased with the family supermarket shopping) precisely
once each, and then binning them, because he thought "that's what you
were supposed to do"!

I blame the parents. (insert smiley of choice here).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 23:54:37 +0000, Mike Lane wrote:

Oh, and it cost about ú50 two years ago.

I reckon £50 would keep me in Gillete GII razors for 50 years... B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge writes:
[...]

Or the Philips HQ7390. It's a bit more expensive but the head can be
washed under running water. I have one of these and it works really
well.
--
(\__/) M.

Repairing shavers Paul S UK diy 0 April 4th 08 01:08 PM
OT - electric shavers? Lobster UK diy 21 November 17th 07 12:04 PM
Electric shavers - feedback F UK diy 14 September 11th 06 10:54 PM
Electric shavers Dave Baker UK diy 14 August 2nd 06 10:45 AM
Which le better electric or blade shavers? Kate Fights, I Cry Electronics 5 May 12th 05 11:37 AM