Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default OT Electric Shavers - mens views needed

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 19:59:39 +0000, SS wrote:

"John MacLeod" wrote in message
On Jan 10, 2:57 pm, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
Hi,

I need to find out what sort of electric shaver might be good for my
father. he is 88 years old and getting to cut himself a bit with a
razor. he
uses a Gillette Turbo at the moment. As he keeps cutting himself I
wondered
if an electric might be better? he used to use an electric shaver when
I was
a child - a Rolls make , that goes back a few years to the 1950's/60's
I reckon. he liked it but didn't find a suitable replacement after and
went on to wet shave.

I was looking at the TV ads for the Braun ( the one that says you can
shave
off a weekend beard) but there are several of them and I don't know
which to
get. Not knowing much about mens shaving I am a bit stuck Has anyone
got one
of those shavers who might be able to tell me which is best?

Thanks for any advice.

Oh dear, sexist again -- as if women didn't use electric razors :-)

Seriously, though, no electric razor designed for use on the face is
going to be much use with growth longer than a couple of millimetres.

That said, you want a rechargeable one -- much simpler in use.

And you'd be better IMHO with one that's not going to need frequent
replacement of easily-damaged foils.

My personal opinion is that you could do a lot worse than looking at one
of the Philips rotary-headed models. Without spending a lot of money
something like this
www.shavers.co.uk/shopping.php?product_id=846 might meet the bill
nicely.

John

I also go with the philips rotary type, found them much better than the
foil (braun type)
I use a wet on hols but for ease and everyday use prefer electric.

I have one of the Philips ones, and it works well. And I don't have to
keep on replacing foils!

shavers.co.uk seems quite competitive too. Bookmarked for future
reference...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org