Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

Default OT, more than likely...

Just out of interest, like, does anyone know how much it costs to build
a house on a plot that you own in England, or anywhere I can find
something like a guesstimated cost per square whatever for building a
bungalow?

There are plenty of references to costs in Leftpondia, but nowt I can
find for this side of the herring pond.

I'm in the market for somewhere to live, and there are a couple of empty
plots nearby.

If it comes up almost as cheap as buying somwehere older and doing it
up, I'd maybe prefer it.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 00:09:07 +0000, John Williamson

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011...me?INTCMP=SRCH

--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. ] Room 40-1-B12, CERN
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

Just out of interest, like, does anyone know how much it costs to build
a house on a plot that you own in England, or anywhere I can find
something like a guesstimated cost per square whatever for building a
bungalow?

There are plenty of references to costs in Leftpondia, but nowt I can
find for this side of the herring pond.

I'm in the market for somewhere to live, and there are a couple of empty
plots nearby.

If it comes up almost as cheap as buying somwehere older and doing it
up, I'd maybe prefer it.

A quick Google gave me this
http://www.channel4.com/4homes/diy-s...e/a-z-of-self-
build-guides/self-build-costs-how-much-does-it-cost-to-build-a-
house-10-05-13_p_1.html

http://tinyurl.com/3xmf2h4

--
zaax
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just out of interest, like, does anyone know how much it costs to build
a house on a plot that you own in England, or anywhere I can find
something like a guesstimated cost per square whatever for building a
bungalow?

There are plenty of references to costs in Leftpondia, but nowt I can
find for this side of the herring pond.

I'm in the market for somewhere to live, and there are a couple of empty
plots nearby.

If it comes up almost as cheap as buying somwehere older and doing it
up, I'd maybe prefer it.

Amongst all these arty-farty one-price-fits-all buildings insurance
policies you will find some good old-fashioned companies that will
want you to cite a figure for "rebuilding cost." That's the cost you
should be insuring for to cover, in the case of a total disaster,
clearing the site and rebuilding what was there before. Go to their
sites and fill in the "rebuilding cost" calculator for the
type/size/location of property you have in mind and it should give you
an up-to-date estimate. Including contract labour etc of course: the
average householder buying a buildings insurance policy isn't planning
to build it all themselves. Rebuilding cost bears no relation to
market value which can be higher or lower, depending on circumstances.

Nick

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On Jan 9, 12:09*am, John Williamson
wrote:
If it comes up almost as cheap as buying somwehere older and doing it
up, I'd maybe prefer it.

Well, I'd start by asking the FWSE for 'self-build blogs', although
most self-builders tend to build palatial piles. the Association of
British Insurers has a rebuild cost calculator if you just want a
rough idea for now.

I goove most big builders spend 60 to 75K, but they have economies of
scale. Self builders seem to spend 100K to 200K, but all swear blind
they can make back more than they spent. I guess a lot will depend,
too, on how much you do yourself, as well as how big you want to go.

I'd also suggest looking at some of the system build solutions, such
as huf haus, Scandia-Hus, or nearer home Cloud Nine or Potton. There
are also dozens of green oak people like Oakwrights or Green Oak
Structures. Not all of them are 6 bedroom stockbroker palaces.

A chum's sister built something like this for peanuts: http://www.scotframe..co.uk
- they even have a price list... There are loads of others. Hers is a
Nice house. I lived for a while in a farm workers cottage that was
made from concrete panels bolted together. It cost next to nothing,
but the wooden ones are far warmer, & better for 't environment.

And don't forget Ikea. They are looking for Franchisees to sell &
build Boklok
houses!

My mate who builds houses on a small scale says 'ask a RIBA architect
- then double it'.
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 00:09:07 +0000, John Williamson wrote:

Just out of interest, like, does anyone know how much it costs to build
a house on a plot that you own in England, or anywhere I can find
something like a guesstimated cost per square whatever for building a
bungalow?

There are plenty of references to costs in Leftpondia, but nowt I can
find for this side of the herring pond.

I'm in the market for somewhere to live, and there are a couple of empty
plots nearby.

If it comes up almost as cheap as buying somwehere older and doing it
up, I'd maybe prefer it.

There was an item on the Beeb t'other day where an architect said about 30%
less.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all of you. I had obviously slipped up on my FWSE skills.

It seems that Looks round present place which is almost big enough
that about a grand a square metre is the norm, so thirty should cover
the build for a small bungalow replacement, with a site I know of
costing another thirty or so. One of the sites reckons just under 40K
plus site for what I'd like.

Int'rusting......(And just within the budget, and cheaper than buying an
ex-council semi and doing it up)

Certainly cheap enough to look seriously at the possibilities.

Boklok seems a nice idea, but Ikea say they're keeping out of the UK
market for now, thankyouverymuch. Shame.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

It seems that that about a grand a square metre is the norm,

Certainly that's a number I've heard bandied around before.

so thirty should cover
the build for a small bungalow replacement

Wouldn't e.g. 6mx5m be a tad on the small side? The 'Acacia' is the
smallest two bed bungalow on that ScotBuild site and it's 65m^2

http://www.scotframe.co.uk/web/site/SelfBuild/HomesPortfolio/Bungalows/Acacia.asp

Certainly cheap enough to look seriously at the possibilities.

Have fun thinking about it ...

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On Jan 9, 1:14*am, "BartC" wrote:
"Dave Budd" wrote in message

T...

In article ,
says...

Just out of interest, like, does anyone know how much it costs to build
a house on a plot that you own in England, or anywhere I can find
something like a guesstimated cost per square whatever for building a
bungalow?

If 'Grand Designs' is owt to go by, fights with Planning are the big
problem

That's hardly surprising, as the projects they choose are all out of the
ordinary.

Perhaps they should show somebody building an ordinary house, with an
ordinary amount of money...

--
bartc

But then it wouldn't be a Grand Design!
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

John.- Hide quoted text -

You need to add 1% per degree for sloping sites. So I'm told.
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/11 00:09, John Williamson wrote:
Just out of interest, like, does anyone know how much it costs to build
a house on a plot that you own in England, or anywhere I can find
something like a guesstimated cost per square whatever for building a
bungalow?

I'm in the market for somewhere to live, and there are a couple of empty
plots nearby.

I gubhtug about it as there is a nempty plot opposite me. Would be a
nice size for a bungalow and some garden. When I enquired was told the
asking cevpr for the empty plot is 425Kzu. I sed buggerit can ohl a
bigger plot with bungalow already molished for that!

--
nev

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

Sunny Bard wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

It seems that that about a grand a square metre is the norm,

Certainly that's a number I've heard bandied around before.

so thirty should cover
the build for a small bungalow replacement

Wouldn't e.g. 6mx5m be a tad on the small side? The 'Acacia' is the
smallest two bed bungalow on that ScotBuild site and it's 65m^2

http://www.scotframe.co.uk/web/site/SelfBuild/HomesPortfolio/Bungalows/Acacia.asp

That's the sort of thing. Maybe about 40 square metres though, for a one
bedroom place, which is all I need. Then again, one bedroom bungalows
are hard`to sell. 15K for the frame delivered to site is good. One site
I've got in mind is 30K, and the planning drawing shows something about
that size.

I looked at a one bed semidetached bungalow a while back which was only
48K, but needed rebuilding from the foundations up, as the slab had
split across the middle.

Certainly cheap enough to look seriously at the possibilities.

Have fun thinking about it ...

I will...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

nev young wrote:
On 09/01/11 00:09, John Williamson wrote:
Just out of interest, like, does anyone know how much it costs to build
a house on a plot that you own in England, or anywhere I can find
something like a guesstimated cost per square whatever for building a
bungalow?

I'm in the market for somewhere to live, and there are a couple of empty
plots nearby.

I gubhtug about it as there is a nempty plot opposite me. Would be a
nice size for a bungalow and some garden. When I enquired was told the
asking cevpr for the empty plot is 425Kzu. I sed buggerit can ohl a
bigger plot with bungalow already molished for that!

Round here, that'd buy about half this street.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

about 40 square metres though, for a one
bedroom place, which is all I need. Then again, one bedroom bungalows
are hard`to sell.

You must have some TQT to put in bedroom two?
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

k...

wrote in :
Just out of interest, like, does anyone know how much it costs to build
a house on a plot that you own in England, or anywhere I can find
something like a guesstimated cost per square whatever for building a
bungalow?

There are plenty of references to costs in Leftpondia, but nowt I can
find for this side of the herring pond.

I'm in the market for somewhere to live, and there are a couple of empty
plots nearby.

If it comes up almost as cheap as buying somwehere older and doing it
up, I'd maybe prefer it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011...me?INTCMP=SRCH

"It's perfectly possible to build a three-bed home for around £150,000."

Well unless that's including the cost of the land that's very much on the
high side, so of course "it's perfectly possible". It's possible to do it
for half that.

tim

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

"John Williamson" wrote in message
Sunny Bard wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

It seems that that about a grand a square metre is the norm,

Certainly that's a number I've heard bandied around before.

so thirty should cover
the build for a small bungalow replacement

Wouldn't e.g. 6mx5m be a tad on the small side? The 'Acacia' is the
smallest two bed bungalow on that ScotBuild site and it's 65m^2

http://www.scotframe.co.uk/web/site/SelfBuild/HomesPortfolio/Bungalows/Acacia.asp

That's the sort of thing. Maybe about 40 square metres though, for a one
bedroom place, which is all I need. Then again, one bedroom bungalows are
hard`to sell.

I was just about to add that. At some point you will need to sell. Self
building a one bed to save a few Ks at build time will come back to bite you
later

tim

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Can't say I've ever come accross an insurer's site which includes such a
calculator - however FYI the 'real McCoy' is he
http://calculator.bcis.co.uk/

David

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

"nev young" wrote in message
On 09/01/11 00:09, John Williamson wrote:
Just out of interest, like, does anyone know how much it costs to build
a house on a plot that you own in England, or anywhere I can find
something like a guesstimated cost per square whatever for building a
bungalow?

I'm in the market for somewhere to live, and there are a couple of empty
plots nearby.

I gubhtug about it as there is a nempty plot opposite me. Would be a nice
size for a bungalow and some garden. When I enquired was told the asking
cevpr for the empty plot is 425Kzu. I sed buggerit can ohl a bigger plot
with bungalow already molished for that!

But that's because they expect someone to seek PP for six flats on the site.

There is (was) a derelict detached house on a narrow plot with a long garden
for sale that my sister looked at, that would sell done up for about 400.
She wanted to offer about 250 for it, but the EA said that they were looking
for offers over 450 as a building plot. The same sized site next door
gained PP for IIRC 8 flats on the footprint of the house and above the
driveway, plus two town houses at the end of the garden so they were
expecting the same here.

It did sell at 450!

tim

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

Sunny Bard wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

about 40 square metres though, for a one
bedroom place, which is all I need. Then again, one bedroom bungalows
are hard`to sell.

You must have some TQT to put in bedroom two?

Shed. No promble. Also loft.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:
Just out of interest, like, does anyone know how much it costs to build
a house on a plot that you own in England, or anywhere I can find
something like a guesstimated cost per square whatever for building a
bungalow?

£60/square ft of habitable floor space for very basic shell used to be
the guide. Thats Barrat Superhutch building tho.

more like £100 for any level of decent finish and fittings.

It can cost that much to refurbish an interior without a shell.

A lot depends on 'feetchas'

I went for dormers for example. Each dormer took almost as long as the
main roof did..

There are plenty of references to costs in Leftpondia, but nowt I can
find for this side of the herring pond.

I'm in the market for somewhere to live, and there are a couple of empty
plots nearby.

If it comes up almost as cheap as buying somwehere older and doing it
up, I'd maybe prefer it.

Its hugely laborious but ultimately satisfying experience.

Another useful guide is 30% materials. 70% labour.

So using decent materials doesn't add much to the price, but fiddly
features do.

A final tip. The money really starts to go when the house is built and
your wife moves in.
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

Sunny Bard wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

It seems that that about a grand a square metre is the norm,
Certainly that's a number I've heard bandied around before.

so thirty should cover
the build for a small bungalow replacement
Wouldn't e.g. 6mx5m be a tad on the small side? The 'Acacia' is the
smallest two bed bungalow on that ScotBuild site and it's 65m^2

http://www.scotframe.co.uk/web/site/SelfBuild/HomesPortfolio/Bungalows/Acacia.asp

That's the sort of thing. Maybe about 40 square metres though, for a one
bedroom place, which is all I need. Then again, one bedroom bungalows are
hard`to sell.

I was just about to add that. At some point you will need to sell. Self
building a one bed to save a few Ks at build time will come back to bite you
later

so you make the foundations big enough for a decent extension and sell
with planning..

a nice bungalow down the road had to underpin some 15 years back..they
did it to two storey standard and it nw has a 5 bed 2 storey house on
the original construction.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
[...]

I can also do things like soundproof a room properly so I can do some
recording without paying a fortune to add on soundproofing to somewhere
that's already too small. A quadruple glazed window is much cheaper than
taking an existing double out and putting a triple back in. Putting a
good, solid ceiling in costs very little at build time. Yes, I see
where you're coming from.

Another useful guide is 30% materials. 70% labour.

So using decent materials doesn't add much to the price, but fiddly
features do.

A final tip. The money really starts to go when the house is built and
your wife moves in.

Ah, now that's where I'm on a winner. I'm not married... ;-)

Yet....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:
[...]

Go for it

uk.d-i-y saved me 6 figure sums I reckon, but be prepared for a long
build especially if your project manager is as bad as mine was. I fired
him after 2 years and finished it myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:
[...]

Cheap mobile home/ biggish caravan on site, and I'll be there most
nights. I also used to work as designer/ estimator/ project manager for
a landscaping company many moons ago, though I'll be employing either a
sole contractor or site manager. As the site's being sold by an
architect/ design firm, I'll have a chat with them tomorrow. I'll be
wanting a good, solid patio, about the size of a large extra bedroom, I
reckon.....

Must find that drafting board..... Rotring to the rescue!
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

k...

wrote :
[...]

I'd have thought so. You can surely buy them round here for that *sort*
of money.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
#www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I had to use one last year but maybe the insurer just linked me
through to that site from their own - I can't honestly remember.

Nick
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On Jan 9, 10:59*am, "tim...." wrote:
I was just about to add that. *At some point you will need to sell. *Self
building a one bed to save a few Ks at build time will come back to bite you
later

I goove that's troo. Also en-suite barfrooms, futility rooms (whot
were called a scullery when I were alive) seem de rigor when its time
to go.

And loft room access, doors wide enuf for wheelchairs, a proper
chimbley all sell bungalows.

The doubled the cost!

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

Catman said:

Sure keep the budge down, but otherwise, why bother?

Well, more home per zbarl isn't to be sneezed at.

Wanders off, humming "Tie me budgerigar down, Sport"

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://www.qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

In article 42315808-43c1-40e1-9761-3b78f2497c25
@v17g2000vbo.googlegroups.com, says...
futility rooms (whot
were called a scullery when I were alive)

Ah, but they went out of fashion when scurrilous rumours morphed into
WikiLeaks.
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On Jan 9, 12:19*pm, Catman wrote:
I'd have thought so. You can surely buy them round here for that *sort*
of money.

Oh, is there more than one sort? I only know about the 'never quite
got enuf' kind.
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 11:15:48 +0000, The Natural Philosopher

If not befo http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040613/

--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. ] Room 40-1-B12, CERN
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:
[...]

I used COREL draw, these days Rhino CAD plus an A1 inkjet.

Yes, it will cost 2 grand to get that lot together, but should save you
5 grand in architects fees.

And it will save a LOT more if you can draw up pretty diagrams for the
electricians and the plumbers showing pipe/wire runs: with 3D CAD you
can even make sure the buggers will fit into the walls.

STRONGLY suggest satellite cabling and CAT5 cabling into EVERY room
ending up in a massive area in the loft where you can patch. Even if you
do wi fi etc, it still helps to be able to put a wifi point IN THE ROOM
on the end of a cable, rather than relying on crap propagation through
foil backed plasterboard etc.

Also plan drains carefully. You can never have too many drains..you can
move a bath. shower, sink or a basin, but bogs are a ******* to
relocate.It may take you three days to draw something up, BUT if it
saves three men three days because the job is well thought out its a
decent time /cash tradeoff.

I spent two days knocking up some nice Rhino D view of proposed bedroom
fitted cupboards. Good thing I did cos SWMBO said 'oh no, cant have
that, must have floor length curtains' (Why I will never know. The cats
**** on them if they can). Anyway in the end the answer was to relocate
the curtains to the front of a window alcove...

See http://www.templar.co.uk/downloads/Bedroom-web.jpg

You can't do THAT with a Rotring..

I really do advise, IF you know how to do a drawing board, to get Rhino.

Spend ages designing the house, down to the last detail. You very soon
acquire a suite of library objects like bogs, cookers and fridges
etc..take time and get them right - and then you can quickly assemble
while layers of structure, fixtures, plumbing and the like, and see the
house before you even build it.

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

Ivan D. Reid wrote:

If not befo http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040613

I'm glad you gave a link to that one, rather than the vile Tom Hanks
drivel.
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

If it comes up almost as cheap as buying somwehere older and doing it
up, I'd maybe prefer it.

It will cost more than you think and far more than any armchair pundit
imagines.

This is good as a rule of thumb guide:

http://www.potton.co.uk/self-build/case-studies

By the time I've finished, a five bedroom house build with four
bathrooms and five reception rooms will end up costing me about 250,000
pounds, excluding the price paid for land.
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On Jan 9, 1:42*pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
By the time I've finished, a five bedroom house build with four
bathrooms and five reception rooms will end up costing me about 250,000
pounds, excluding the price paid for land.

Cheapskate. You might have given /all/ the bedrooms an en-suite.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bobharvey wrote:
On Jan 9, 10:59 am, "tim...." wrote:
I was just about to add that. At some point you will need to sell. Self
building a one bed to save a few Ks at build time will come back to bite you
later

I goove that's troo. Also en-suite barfrooms, futility rooms (whot
were called a scullery when I were alive) seem de rigor when its time
to go.

And loft room access, doors wide enuf for wheelchairs, a proper
chimbley all sell bungalows.

The doubled the cost!

you wont be allowed to build something that isn't wheel chair friendly.