Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default OT, more than likely...

On 09/01/2011 00:35, Nick Odell wrote:
On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 00:09:07 +0000, John Williamson
wrote:

Just out of interest, like, does anyone know how much it costs to build
a house on a plot that you own in England, or anywhere I can find
something like a guesstimated cost per square whatever for building a
bungalow?

There are plenty of references to costs in Leftpondia, but nowt I can
find for this side of the herring pond.

I'm in the market for somewhere to live, and there are a couple of empty
plots nearby.

If it comes up almost as cheap as buying somwehere older and doing it
up, I'd maybe prefer it.

Amongst all these arty-farty one-price-fits-all buildings insurance
policies you will find some good old-fashioned companies that will
want you to cite a figure for "rebuilding cost." That's the cost you
should be insuring for to cover, in the case of a total disaster,
clearing the site and rebuilding what was there before. Go to their
sites and fill in the "rebuilding cost" calculator for the
type/size/location of property you have in mind and it should give you
an up-to-date estimate.

Can't say I've ever come accross an insurer's site which includes such a
calculator - however FYI the 'real McCoy' is he
http://calculator.bcis.co.uk/

David