Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

Default OT, more than likely...

John Williamson wrote:
Just out of interest, like, does anyone know how much it costs to build
a house on a plot that you own in England, or anywhere I can find
something like a guesstimated cost per square whatever for building a
bungalow?

£60/square ft of habitable floor space for very basic shell used to be
the guide. Thats Barrat Superhutch building tho.

more like £100 for any level of decent finish and fittings.

It can cost that much to refurbish an interior without a shell.

A lot depends on 'feetchas'

I went for dormers for example. Each dormer took almost as long as the
main roof did..

There are plenty of references to costs in Leftpondia, but nowt I can
find for this side of the herring pond.

I'm in the market for somewhere to live, and there are a couple of empty
plots nearby.

If it comes up almost as cheap as buying somwehere older and doing it
up, I'd maybe prefer it.

Its hugely laborious but ultimately satisfying experience.

Another useful guide is 30% materials. 70% labour.

So using decent materials doesn't add much to the price, but fiddly
features do.

A final tip. The money really starts to go when the house is built and
your wife moves in.