Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

Default OT, more than likely...

In article
,
harry writes
The mind boggles. The way the housing market is now?

Yes. Having sold up 18 months ago pending emigration, I have
been considering bolt-holes back in UK. Latest viewing was a 'park' home
with built-in sqwarrels, but even after an 18% price drop £45K GBP for a
glorified caravan seems somewhat over the top.

We have not heard from Pedt lately. I hope that he and his mum
are OK. I am in a similar position to him - homeless - but, after CV
joint repairs, "have campervan, will travel".

Currently dossing on the floor in a derelict house frequented by
C-list musicians and druggies. Ewe heff ta larf, innit?
--
Misha
Free on-line, off-site backups?
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

In article , Skipweasel
writes
In article , catman@cuore-
sportivo.co.uk says...
I don't come to the shed to fight

IRTA I do not come to shed light.

No, he hides it under a bushel.

Still looking for those four and twenty wise virgins? (Oxymoron alert!)
--
Misha
Free on-line, off-site backups?
https://mozy.com/?ref=UK45Y5
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

In article
,
harry writes
[snip]
I think the thing is to see potential where no-one else can. And to see
solutions to glaring problems.

I, not deliberately, drove past a rural chapel recently and
noticed boarded-up windows. Maybe Dog _is_ dead?

I like 'character' buildings, but this would cost serious money
for partitioning, heating, etc. But such buildings do command a premium
when re-sold. Meanwhile, my capital is half-promised to buying a pub
with a mate ... it's a long story ...
--
Misha
Free on-line, off-site backups?
https://mozy.com/?ref=UK45Y5
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

In article , Nick Odell
writes
On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 15:47:40 -0800 (PST), jgharston
wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:
By the time I've finished, a five bedroom house build with four
bathrooms ...

Do families of four regularly lock themsleves into the bathroom
for 24 hours at a time? What's wrong with one bathroom that
is shared out over 24 hours between all users?

Hmmm... bet you've never had teenage daughters, then.

As it happens, neither have I, but you get my drift...

That reminds me of a nym I used to post with.
No big secret to anyone who reads headers. Had some problems with
depression and ineffective meds, but feeling pretty good these days, so
thinking of coming out of the (d-i-y, noting crosspost) closet again. Be
warned! :-)

[Emoticons frowned on in Shedde.]

Nick

--
Misha
Free on-line, off-site backups?
https://mozy.com/?ref=UK45Y5
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

In article , vg4cysss7001
] writes

Currently dossing on the floor in a derelict house frequented by
C-list musicians and druggies. Ewe heff ta larf, innit?

Addendum: C-list musician druggies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXZeSGLEV4g SFW

Actually, at least one of them is better than comes across in the clip.
Basically, 2(?) of them are roadies/gofers for bands like REM, Rod
Stewart, Osmans, etc.
--
Misha
Free on-line, off-site backups?
https://mozy.com/?ref=UK45Y5

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:
Just out of interest, like, does anyone know how much it costs to build
a house on a plot that you own in England, or anywhere I can find
something like a guesstimated cost per square whatever for building a
bungalow?

There are plenty of references to costs in Leftpondia, but nowt I can
find for this side of the herring pond.

I'm in the market for somewhere to live, and there are a couple of empty
plots nearby.

If it comes up almost as cheap as buying somwehere older and doing it
up, I'd maybe prefer it.

Two places which helped when I was disputing the bill and quotes our
Architect[1] sent us a few years ago for our extension:

http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/self-b...ost-calculator

this seems to have changed rather from when I was hfrvat it in about
2002-3, but is quite detailed.

We also sent a copy of the architect's plans to:

http://www.estimators-online.co.uk/howto.jsp

and, for a very reasonable fee, got a quote broken down virtually to the
last masonary nail, and significantly less than the quotes obtained by
said architect. ISTR that they do need proper plans to work from, but
may be worth contacting them anyway with a less- advanced scheme.

Information from those sources helped me to get the architect's bill
reduced by 90% plus the VAT, but whether that was due to the quality of
the estimates, or my threat to complain to RIBA and elsewhere if he did
not accept my reduced offer, I shall never know!

I would still recommend the architect for production of plans [2] and
dealing with planning permission [3] unless you have the requisite
skills, as it appears to be a Very steep learning curve. I strongly
suspect that builders are likely to give better quotes for a project
with professional plans than one with Q-V-L ones.

[1] I hfr the term loosely, at least when it comes to professionalism.

[2] Which he did do well.

[3] Which he did, but Very slowly.

--
JonG
"All things come to he who waits,
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
By the time I've finished, a five bedroom house build with four
bathrooms ...

Do families of four regularly lock themsleves into the bathroom
for 24 hours at a time? What's wrong with one bathroom that
is shared out over 24 hours between all users?

You've obviously not been raised with a sister, or as in my case, two of
them anna bruvver - six of us (and sometimes an oh-pear) and for several
of years, only one bathroom...

On-sweet molishes scents...

--
Rusty
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2011 22:51, Rusty Hinge wrote:
Catman wrote:
On 09/01/2011 19:12, Rusty Hinge wrote:
Sn!pe wrote:
Peter wrote:

In the spirit of a dimly remembered school playground, I am moved to
chant:
"fight, fight fight..."

Six to four on, Filthy. Any takers?

Nah - have you ever seen 'Claws' Catman in action?

He's no pussy cat!

Oh, as you were...

I don't come to the shed to fight

Phew! (Wipes brow)

No problem. I only do it on Tuesdays in Chelmsford

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
#www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2011 23:39, Dave Budd wrote:
In , catman@cuore-
sportivo.co.uk says...

I don't come to the shed to fight

The first rule of Shed Club...

What were we talking about?

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
#www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2011 23:47, jgharston wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
By the time I've finished, a five bedroom house build with four
bathrooms ...

Do families of four regularly lock themsleves into the bathroom
for 24 hours at a time? What's wrong with one bathroom that
is shared out over 24 hours between all users?

Our family of two will be looking for at least two bathrooms next move.
The issue is that we tend to go to work at the same time....

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
#www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2011 07:38, vg4cysss7001 wrote:

snip

[Emoticons frowned on in Shedde.]

Are they?!

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
#www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

JonG wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

I'm in the market for somewhere to live, and there are a couple of
empty plots nearby.

If it comes up almost as cheap as buying somwehere older and doing it
up, I'd maybe prefer it.

Two places which helped when I was disputing the bill and quotes our
Architect[1] sent us a few years ago for our extension:

http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/self-b...ost-calculator

this seems to have changed rather from when I was hfrvat it in about
2002-3, but is quite detailed.

Downloaded. Ta. That's more detailed than the other sites I've tried.
It's also coming up a bit cheaper.

We also sent a copy of the architect's plans to:

http://www.estimators-online.co.uk/howto.jsp

Bookmarked, just in case....

and, for a very reasonable fee, got a quote broken down virtually to the
last masonary nail, and significantly less than the quotes obtained by
said architect. ISTR that they do need proper plans to work from, but
may be worth contacting them anyway with a less- advanced scheme.

Just for now, the quick and easy, one size fits all site has given me an
indication of the possibilites. The Bill of Quantities can wait until later.

Information from those sources helped me to get the architect's bill
reduced by 90% plus the VAT, but whether that was due to the quality of
the estimates, or my threat to complain to RIBA and elsewhere if he did
not accept my reduced offer, I shall never know!

I would still recommend the architect for production of plans [2] and
dealing with planning permission [3] unless you have the requisite
skills, as it appears to be a Very steep learning curve. I strongly
suspect that builders are likely to give better quotes for a project
with professional plans than one with Q-V-L ones.

Final plans will be drawn up by an architect from a reasonably detailed
plan by myself and after consultation.

I'll also let them deal with the planning, as they know the planners
better than I do.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

Dave Budd wrote:

In article ,
says...

Peter wrote:

In the spirit of a dimly remembered school playground, I am moved to chant:
"fight, fight fight..."

Six to four on, Filthy. Any takers?

Make it 85-40 I might have 50p on it

Irta WD-40

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

In article , Catman
writes
No problem. I only do it on Tuesdays in Chelmsford

Chelmsford deserves no better.
Years ago it is where I had to sit through a performance of 'St. Joan'.
More recently, it is where I was sent down.
--
Misha
Free on-line, off-site backups?
https://mozy.com/?ref=UK45Y5

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

In article , Rusty Hinge
writes
I escaped being an Essex Boy by a few of years, but growed-up in
Hronchruch, so am prolly an ornery Essex Boy innit yeah.

And had I wanted egg citement, Rumford were a ruff plaice at night.

I escaped being an Essex boy by being born in Ipswich, but, at age 4,
was moved to Manningtree. Visits by the Coggeshall *******s were quite
an event, hostilities usually carried out in the backyard of the White
Hart.
--
Misha
Free on-line, off-site backups?
https://mozy.com/?ref=UK45Y5

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

In message
,
jgharston writes
Steve Firth wrote:
By the time I've finished, a five bedroom house build with four
bathrooms ...

Do families of four regularly lock themsleves into the bathroom
for 24 hours at a time? What's wrong with one bathroom that
is shared out over 24 hours between all users?

Probably not.

I think a separate toilet offers a wider range of opportunities.

En-suite is good for guests.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

Catman wrote:
On 10/01/2011 07:38, vg4cysss7001 wrote:

snip

[Emoticons frowned on in Shedde.]

Are they?!

Yes (°) (°)
··
""""

--
Rusty
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 00:22:02 -0000, Dave Budd
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Just out of interest, like, does anyone know how much it costs to build
a house on a plot that you own in England, or anywhere I can find
something like a guesstimated cost per square whatever for building a
bungalow?

There are plenty of references to costs in Leftpondia, but nowt I can
find for this side of the herring pond.

I'm in the market for somewhere to live, and there are a couple of empty
plots nearby.

If it comes up almost as cheap as buying somwehere older and doing it
up, I'd maybe prefer it.

Well it depends...
How big the thing you build is
How much you do yourself (either managing the project or actually doing
the work)

I believe you can build for quite a bit less than you can buy the
equivalent. And you get to build in the features you want.

FWSE "self-build house" and select 'UK pages only', you ought to find
something of use

Generally builders quote by the m^2 so work out the total floor size
and multiply by £1000-£1500.

If 'Grand Designs' is owt to go by, fights with Planning are the big
problem

Planning is a big hassle even if your designs are not "grand" if my
experience is anything to go back. The planning officers "redesigned"
various parts of the extension I wanted build. I've no idea why.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 01:14:40 -0000, "BartC" wrote:

"Dave Budd" wrote in message
ET...

If 'Grand Designs' is owt to go by, fights with Planning are the big
problem

That's hardly surprising, as the projects they choose are all out of the
ordinary.

Perhaps they should show somebody building an ordinary house, with an
ordinary amount of money...

Well the green oak framed house built for 130k three or four years ago
was an ordinary amount of money that created one hell of an
extraordinary house.

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/on-tv...06-11_p_1.html

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/11 01:45, Steve Firth wrote:

Christ, is anyone still with demon, other than complete newbies like
you?]

yes. I'm still with demon^Wthus^Wcluelessandwitless.

--
nev
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2011 11:07, The Other Mike wrote:
On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 01:14:40 -0000, wrote:

"Dave wrote in message
T...

If 'Grand Designs' is owt to go by, fights with Planning are the big
problem

That's hardly surprising, as the projects they choose are all out of the
ordinary.

Perhaps they should show somebody building an ordinary house, with an
ordinary amount of money...

Well the green oak framed house built for 130k three or four years ago
was an ordinary amount of money that created one hell of an
extraordinary house.

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/on-tv...06-11_p_1.html

That was lovely.

My personal favourite was the converted water station.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
#www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On Jan 10, 12:27*pm, Catman wrote:
On 10/01/2011 11:07, The Other Mike wrote:

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 01:14:40 -0000, *wrote:

. NET...

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/on-tv...ode-guides/her...

That was lovely.

My personal favourite was the converted water station.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
#www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

I liked the oak framed building. You notice when you get an architect
you end up with a glass box? F***** awful.
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Christ, is anyone still with demon, other than complete newbies like
you?

I'm not with demon, only my Google Groups login ID is.
(Newbie? 28 years' programming experience, 23 years' internet
experience, 15 years' web experience?)

JGH
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/11 14:11, Catman's best pigeon dodged hawks and farmers' guns
to bring me the following:
On 09/01/2011 13:02, bobharvey wrote:
On Jan 9, 12:19 pm, wrote:
I'd have thought so. You can surely buy them round here for that *sort*
of money.

Oh, is there more than one sort? I only know about the 'never quite
got enuf' kind.

Well it varies. I have at least three sorts, but two of them aren't
accepted round here.

I have samples of probably getting on for a dozen sorts, but only three
or four sorts in quantities really worth trying to spend.

--
David Reid http://www.disarray.org.uk

Pedestal

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On Jan 10, 4:05*pm, harry wrote:
I liked the oak framed building. You notice when you get an architect
you end up with a glass box? F***** awful.

I havn't mentioned the straw bale and lime plaster method, even though
it's what I'd like to do.
http://www.greenbuildingpress.co.uk/...article_id=527
http://www.amazonails.org.uk/page/home

'cos I didn't reckon JW was a wierdo, like what I iz.

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2011 17:15, Rusty Hinge wrote:
Catman wrote:
On 10/01/2011 10:12, vg4cysss7001 wrote:
In , Catman
writes
On 10/01/2011 07:38, vg4cysss7001 wrote:

snip

[Emoticons frowned on in Shedde.]

Are they?!

Apparently :-(

^ ^
°o°
^

Oooh I *like* that one!

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
#www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

In message , nev young
writes
On 10/01/11 01:45, Steve Firth wrote:

Christ, is anyone still with demon, other than complete newbies like
you?]

yes. I'm still with demon^Wthus^Wcluelessandwitless.

For the binary newsgroups?

Can't think of any other reason. They ****ed up once too often (charged
me my annual fee three months on the trot) for me, left them a couple of
years ago

--
geoff
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

bobharvey wrote:
On Jan 10, 4:05 pm, harry wrote:
I liked the oak framed building. You notice when you get an architect
you end up with a glass box? F***** awful.

I havn't mentioned the straw bale and lime plaster method, even though
it's what I'd like to do.
http://www.greenbuildingpress.co.uk/...article_id=527
http://www.amazonails.org.uk/page/home

'cos I didn't reckon JW was a wierdo, like what I iz.

It's a nice method, but in the middle of an estate that's all social
housing?

I reckon the bales wouldn't last the night after delivery without an
armed security patrol, especially in this weather.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/11 21:08, geoff wrote:
In message , nev young
writes
On 10/01/11 01:45, Steve Firth wrote:

Christ, is anyone still with demon, other than complete newbies like
you?]

yes. I'm still with demon^Wthus^Wcluelessandwitless.

For the binary newsgroups?

No. Don't get newsgropes from eDmon. Not in my contract with them.
Wouldn't want binarys anyhow.

Can't think of any other reason. They ****ed up once too often (charged
me my annual fee three months on the trot) for me, left them a couple of
years ago

I left em when I went broadbean in about 2003/4 but came back when the
isp went titsup. So apart from a break of about 6 months I've been with
eDmon for about 15 years.

They haven't hurt me (yet) so I'm willing to stay. Although when C&W
took them over I did seriously look around as things went wobbly for a
while as they changed me to adsl2 then adsl+2 without notice, but it's
all been quite stable for some time. I had an outage, due to a copper
theft, of a couple of days last year but that's not really their fault.

--
nev
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

In article 6f731446-4ee9-4bde-a68f-
,
says...
Yes, it's amazing what one can do if parents own a timber frame
company.

The oak for my brother's restoration project of the smaller of his two
barns came to well over £100,000.

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On Jan 11, 12:27*am, Owain wrote:
On Jan 10, 11:07*am, The Other Mike wrote:

Well the green oak framed house built for 130k three or four years ago
was an ordinary amount of money that created one hell of an
extraordinary house.
http://www.channel4.com/4homes/on-tv...ode-guides/her...

Yes, it's amazing what one can do if parents own a timber frame
company.

One of the comments on that page is "You'll need at least £350,000 to
build this cottage. Border Oak will build the house for £147k but that
won't include electrical work, plumbing, heating, kitchen fittings,
bathroom fittings etc so budget a further £50k. [Posted by Pete
Herridge]

Owain

All the principles of great architecture were discovered by the Greeks/
Romans.
I don't think their principles can be beaten, maybe equalled by a good
oak framed building. Excellent examples in Chester.

Modern architects design crap.
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Jan 11, 12:27 am, Owain wrote:
[...]

YAHRHPoW&ICMknightood.

--
Rusty
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 16:27:26 -0800 (PST), Owain
wrote:

On Jan 10, 11:07*am, The Other Mike wrote:
Well the green oak framed house built for 130k three or four years ago
was an ordinary amount of money that created one hell of an
extraordinary house.
http://www.channel4.com/4homes/on-tv...ode-guides/her...

Yes, it's amazing what one can do if parents own a timber frame
company.

One of the comments on that page is "You'll need at least £350,000 to
build this cottage. Border Oak will build the house for £147k but that
won't include electrical work, plumbing, heating, kitchen fittings,
bathroom fittings etc so budget a further £50k. [Posted by Pete
Herridge]

Still looks better than any 197k house

....but then there is the cost of the land, 55k quoted, so that's 252k

Yep, still looks better than any 252k house, but not quite 130k

Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 20:35:56 -0000, bobharvey
wrote:

On Jan 10, 4:05 pm, harry wrote:
I liked the oak framed building. You notice when you get an architect
you end up with a glass box? F***** awful.

I havn't mentioned the straw bale and lime plaster method, even though
it's what I'd like to do.
http://www.greenbuildingpress.co.uk/...article_id=527
http://www.amazonails.org.uk/page/home

'cos I didn't reckon JW was a wierdo, like what I iz.

very ego-friendly but what how does it pass the Big Bad Wolf test?
(i.e. isn't it a bit of a fire-hazard for hse ins?)

--
"Nuns! NUNS! Reverse! Reverse!"
Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Jan 10, 4:05 pm, harry wrote:
I liked the oak framed building. You notice when you get an architect
you end up with a glass box? F***** awful.

I havn't mentioned the straw bale and lime plaster method, even though
it's what I'd like to do.
http://www.greenbuildingpress.co.uk/...article_id=527
http://www.amazonails.org.uk/page/home

'cos I didn't reckon JW was a wierdo, like what I iz.

very ego-friendly but what how does it pass the Big Bad Wolf test?
(i.e. isn't it a bit of a fire-hazard for hse ins?)

This guy says not:-

http://www.strawbalehouse.co.uk/

Tho' he *has* got a bit of an axe to grind. I doubt it's any worse than
timber frame with a thatched roof.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.