Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y

Default OT, more than likely...

bobharvey wrote:
On Jan 9, 12:09 am, John Williamson
wrote:
If it comes up almost as cheap as buying somwehere older and doing it
up, I'd maybe prefer it.

Well, I'd start by asking the FWSE for 'self-build blogs', although
most self-builders tend to build palatial piles. the Association of
British Insurers has a rebuild cost calculator if you just want a
rough idea for now.

I goove most big builders spend 60 to 75K, but they have economies of
scale. Self builders seem to spend 100K to 200K, but all swear blind
they can make back more than they spent. I guess a lot will depend,
too, on how much you do yourself, as well as how big you want to go.

I'd also suggest looking at some of the system build solutions, such
as huf haus, Scandia-Hus, or nearer home Cloud Nine or Potton. There
are also dozens of green oak people like Oakwrights or Green Oak
Structures. Not all of them are 6 bedroom stockbroker palaces.

A chum's sister built something like this for peanuts: http://www.scotframe.co.uk
- they even have a price list... There are loads of others. Hers is a
Nice house. I lived for a while in a farm workers cottage that was
made from concrete panels bolted together. It cost next to nothing,
but the wooden ones are far warmer, & better for 't environment.

And don't forget Ikea. They are looking for Franchisees to sell &
build Boklok
houses!

My mate who builds houses on a small scale says 'ask a RIBA architect
- then double it'.

Thanks to all of you. I had obviously slipped up on my FWSE skills.

It seems that Looks round present place which is almost big enough
that about a grand a square metre is the norm, so thirty should cover
the build for a small bungalow replacement, with a site I know of
costing another thirty or so. One of the sites reckons just under 40K
plus site for what I'd like.

Int'rusting......(And just within the budget, and cheaper than buying an
ex-council semi and doing it up)

Certainly cheap enough to look seriously at the possibilities.

Boklok seems a nice idea, but Ikea say they're keeping out of the UK
market for now, thankyouverymuch. Shame.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.