Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A very senior moment...

I've been trying to clone the HD on one PC and put that into another to
save reloading in everything since both machines are similar. I've used a
free utility called HDcopy which reckons it can do this.

On installing the clone in the other PC it starts to load XP then locks
up. I've tried repair using the XP installation CD, but that demands an
administrative password. Which I've never actually bothered with, so I
assume is the default one. I do have my administrator one - but that's not
the same thing.

I have all the original installation CDs for the progs I use - was just
trying to save some time.

--
*In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've been trying to clone the HD on one PC and put that into another to
save reloading in everything since both machines are similar. I've used a
free utility called HDcopy which reckons it can do this.

On installing the clone in the other PC it starts to load XP then locks
up. I've tried repair using the XP installation CD, but that demands an
administrative password. Which I've never actually bothered with, so I
assume is the default one. I do have my administrator one - but that's not
the same thing.

I have all the original installation CDs for the progs I use - was just
trying to save some time.

Extremely senior. I read this message from you yesterday.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default XP Cloning Was A very senior moment...

I've been trying to clone the HD on one PC and put that into another to
save reloading in everything since both machines are similar. I've used a
free utility called HDcopy which reckons it can do this.

Another is CloneZilla.

On installing the clone in the other PC it starts to load XP then locks
up. I've tried repair using the XP installation CD, but that demands an
administrative password. Which I've never actually bothered with, so I
assume is the default one. I do have my administrator one - but that's not
the same thing.

1. Try booting into safe mode (F8 after start). There might be a driver
trying to load that is incompatible with the new build.

2. Disconnect the network cable. The new machine might be a freaked out
by a clone brother if its trying to advertise it's resources, as both
will have the same machine security (Machine SID) identity.

However saying that (and googling with the other hand) microsoft is now
saying in the context of cloning that generating new SIDs is now an
unnecessary process?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2009/11/03/3291024.aspx

Anyway, XP Home or Pro?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

I've been trying to clone the HD on one PC and put that into another
to save reloading in everything since both machines are similar. I've
used a free utility called HDcopy which reckons it can do this.

I take it the other PC does not have the same motherboard etc? When you
boot XP on a different platform, it can react in a number of ways.
Sometimes you get lucky - it spots the hardware changes and loads the
right drivers etc in the process. Other times it will bluescreen or
lockup during boot.

It's the same make (Asus) of motherboard, but some three years older.

Another possible gotcha: Are the drives similar? How big is the first
partition? (some BIOSs have difficulty booting on a partition that
crosses the 1024 cylinder boundary).

The 'master' a 240GB SATA, the clone a 500GB PATA.

On installing the clone in the other PC it starts to load XP then locks

If you install the clone in the original PC (disconnecting the original
drive you just cloned) does it boot ok there? If it does, then at least
you have some confidence you got a good copy.

Yes, that works.

If you need a decent clone package, download the maxblast ISO image from
segate and make a CD from it. Its basically a version of Acronis true
image. In theory it will only function on a machine with a segate or
maxtor drive in it. However if you get the error popup saying no
suitable drive was found, type ALT+T, ALT+O (for "technical override")
and it will carry on regardless.

Right. Obviously the next step.

up. I've tried repair using the XP installation CD, but that demands
an administrative password. Which I've never actually bothered with,
so I assume is the default one. I do have my administrator one - but
that's not the same thing.

Have you tried just pressing return when prompted for the password?

Yup - just comes up with the same prompt. After three goes it quits.

I have all the original installation CDs for the progs I use - was just
trying to save some time.

--
*Husband and cat lost -- reward for cat

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
chunkyoldcortina wrote:
I've been trying to clone the HD on one PC and put that into another
to save reloading in everything since both machines are similar. I've
used a free utility called HDcopy which reckons it can do this.

On installing the clone in the other PC it starts to load XP then
locks up. I've tried repair using the XP installation CD, but that
demands an administrative password. Which I've never actually bothered
with, so I assume is the default one. I do have my administrator one -
but that's not the same thing.

I have all the original installation CDs for the progs I use - was
just trying to save some time.

Extremely senior. I read this message from you yesterday.

Then you need to keep up. The similar one was posted on Monday.

--
*A backward poet writes inverse*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian C wrote:
I've been trying to clone the HD on one PC and put that into another
to save reloading in everything since both machines are similar. I've
used a free utility called HDcopy which reckons it can do this.

Another is CloneZilla.

Right.
On installing the clone in the other PC it starts to load XP then
locks up. I've tried repair using the XP installation CD, but that
demands an administrative password. Which I've never actually bothered
with, so I assume is the default one. I do have my administrator one -
but that's not the same thing.

1. Try booting into safe mode (F8 after start). There might be a driver
trying to load that is incompatible with the new build.

That gives a page of errors? and locks.

2. Disconnect the network cable. The new machine might be a freaked out
by a clone brother if its trying to advertise it's resources, as both
will have the same machine security (Machine SID) identity.

Ah. Haven't tried that one.

However saying that (and googling with the other hand) microsoft is now
saying in the context of cloning that generating new SIDs is now an
unnecessary process?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2009/11/03/3291024.aspx

Anyway, XP Home or Pro?

Home. Thanks for the tips - I'll try them. What annoys me is the XP
installation CD says it has a repair function but gives no clue.

--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Home. Thanks for the tips -

Ignore the blogs reference, don't think there's much in the way of tips
there...

I'll try them. What annoys me is the XP
installation CD says it has a repair function but gives no clue.

That's not really the 'repair function'. Pressing R at that moment dumps
you into the CLI bases recovery console, and you are expected to have
swallowed half a ton of Microsoft documentation and training to know how
to waddle around in there - or follow hints from web pages.

What you need is a bit further along in the Windows Setup thing that
starts from the CDROM, which offers to repair a selected partition the
tool shows you. However not all install CD's will have this option - and
it would be very dangerous to proceed if this were a live machine with
no backup.

Heed warnings on

That was my "senior moment" a couple of weeks ago. Totally wreaked a
good machine install, whilst in the process of trying to capture it for
a virtualisation project :-(

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Yup - just comes up with the same prompt. After three goes it quits.

In which case you need to run an XP password recovery tool on the
original machine to get a list of all the passwords to continue with
that route.

I was hoping someone knew the default administrative password, as I've not
changed it. I tried my administrator one and that was rejected.

When you were trying "repair" using the CD, was that with the so called
"repair" option or using the recovery console?

Recovery console.

(you may be able to do a simple repair install. If you boot off the XP
cd and let it do a full install onto the existing partition, in the same
folder as before, it may not prompt you for a previous password. That
should fix the underlying driver and HAL problems while still keeping
all the applications installed. (Office XP or later will need
reactivation).

Tried that but it removes the original installation and starts afresh.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Tried that but it removes the original installation and starts afresh.

Is this a Microsoft an OEM, retail, or Upgrade CD? Or is it a
manufacturers "Recovery CD"?

It's the original XP Home Edition installation disc - I built the computer
so didn't get one with it already installed. The recovery consul refers to
the one on it.

The proper MS CDs should allow you to install over the top of an
existing installation and not replace it, but basically fix it.

Some will prompt for an installation directory (in recognition that they
have seen an existing install in say c:\windows). If you ensure this is
set to the existing directory, it should do a reinstall.

Can't find that option.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I was hoping someone knew the default administrative password,

There is no default, search for Peter Nordahl's windows password
recovery (bootable floppy/CD/USB)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I was hoping someone knew the default administrative password,

There is no default, search for Peter Nordahl's windows password recovery
(bootable floppy/CD/USB)

The usual way to hack most XP installs is to start in safe mode, ctl-alt-del
to get the password screen, use administrator with no password.
This is because most users don't actually use administrator and don'y change
the password or disable the account.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

The usual way to hack most XP installs is to start in safe mode,
ctl-alt-del to get the password screen, use administrator with no password.
This is because most users don't actually use administrator and don'y
change the password or disable the account.

But administrator doesn't default to blank password, it inherits the
same password that the first created user is given (so if *that* was
blank you may be in luck).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
news
dennis@home wrote:

The usual way to hack most XP installs is to start in safe mode,
ctl-alt-del to get the password screen, use administrator with no
password.
This is because most users don't actually use administrator and don'y
change the password or disable the account.

But administrator doesn't default to blank password, it inherits the same
password that the first created user is given (so if *that* was blank you
may be in luck).

Not on any system I have installed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
news:4aSdnWSKvvzMus7RnZ2dnUVZ8narnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...

Spouting ******** again dennis ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
newsPqdndbETpkkys7RnZ2dnUVZ7vmdnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
dennis@home wrote:

The usual way to hack most XP installs is to start in safe mode,
ctl-alt-del to get the password screen, use administrator with no
password.
This is because most users don't actually use administrator and don'y
change the password or disable the account.

But administrator doesn't default to blank password, it inherits the
same password that the first created user is given (so if *that* was
blank you may be in luck).

Not on any system I have installed.

Laughs

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Some will prompt for an installation directory (in recognition that
they have seen an existing install in say c:\windows). If you ensure
this is set to the existing directory, it should do a reinstall.

Can't find that option.

So if you boot from the CD and do a normal install, how does it proceed?
It should find a valid partition, and give you the option to format it
(which you decline), and then let you go ahead and install. (don't go
for recovery console or repair etc - just a normal install. Once
complete you should have a fresh install, but still with the apps
recognised etc.

No, it deletes the existing Windows stuff and starts again. When booting
from that the HD appears blank - all the other apps have gone.

--
*I brake for no apparent reason.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I was hoping someone knew the default administrative password,

There is no default, search for Peter Nordahl's windows password
recovery (bootable floppy/CD/USB)

The usual way to hack most XP installs is to start in safe mode,
ctl-alt-del to get the password screen, use administrator with no
password. This is because most users don't actually use administrator
and don'y change the password or disable the account.

It won't start in safe mode either.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, try management *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I was hoping someone knew the default administrative password,

There is no default, search for Peter Nordahl's windows password
recovery (bootable floppy/CD/USB)

I'm confused. Are you saying each installation makes up it's own password?
As I said I've never entered one for this. Nor been asked to enter one
when doing the original installation.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

The usual way to hack most XP installs is to start in safe mode,
ctl-alt-del to get the password screen, use administrator with no
password. This is because most users don't actually use administrator
and don'y change the password or disable the account.

But administrator doesn't default to blank password, it inherits the
same password that the first created user is given (so if *that* was
blank you may be in luck).

I'm the only one who has done anything to these machines and haven't ever
entered an administrative password. I'm called 'Dave' as administrator.
That isn't the administrative password. I've tried all the passwords I use
for other things too.

--
*Who are these kids and why are they calling me Mom?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article4aSdnWSKvvzMus7RnZ2dnUVZ8narnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
Andy wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I was hoping someone knew the default administrative password,

There is no default, search for Peter Nordahl's windows password
recovery (bootable floppy/CD/USB)

I'm confused. Are you saying each installation makes up it's own password?
As I said I've never entered one for this. Nor been asked to enter one
when doing the original installation.

Just checking, it is a Windows password you are looking for, is it? Not
a BIOS password?

I ask because Advent computers have a nasty habit of suddenly putting in
a password for the BIOS and not telling you what it is.

--
Howard Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I was hoping someone knew the default administrative password,

There is no default, search for Peter Nordahl's windows password
recovery (bootable floppy/CD/USB)

I'm confused. Are you saying each installation makes up it's own password?

When XP first boots during install, it asks you to create an account
"Dave" or whatever, and set a password for that, it also creates an
Administrator account with the same password.

You get the chance to create a handful of other accounts at the same time.

As I said I've never entered one for this. Nor been asked to enter one
when doing the original installation.

Then it sounds like a customised install CD that does that has some
defaults embedded in it ... all bets are off

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I was hoping someone knew the default administrative password,

There is no default, search for Peter Nordahl's windows password
recovery (bootable floppy/CD/USB)

The usual way to hack most XP installs is to start in safe mode,
ctl-alt-del to get the password screen, use administrator with no
password. This is because most users don't actually use administrator
and don'y change the password or disable the account.

It won't start in safe mode either.

IIRC there is a key you can hold down while booting to bring up the boot
menu something like right-ctrl

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I was hoping someone knew the default administrative password,

There is no default, search for Peter Nordahl's windows password
recovery (bootable floppy/CD/USB)

I'm confused. Are you saying each installation makes up it's own
password? As I said I've never entered one for this. Nor been asked to
enter one when doing the original installation.

Just checking, it is a Windows password you are looking for, is it? Not
a BIOS password?

Windows. When trying to use the repair console on the installation CD, it
asks for the administration password.

I ask because Advent computers have a nasty habit of suddenly putting in
a password for the BIOS and not telling you what it is.

--
*He who dies with the most toys is, nonetheless, dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I was hoping someone knew the default administrative password,

There is no default, search for Peter Nordahl's windows password
recovery (bootable floppy/CD/USB)

I'm confused. Are you saying each installation makes up it's own
password?

When XP first boots during install, it asks you to create an account
"Dave" or whatever, and set a password for that, it also creates an
Administrator account with the same password.

I left the password blank.

You get the chance to create a handful of other accounts at the same
time.

Don't remember that.

As I said I've never entered one for this. Nor been asked to enter one
when doing the original installation.

Then it sounds like a customised install CD that does that has some
defaults embedded in it ... all bets are off

[Shrug] It look like the genuine article to me and has been registered
with MS. Bought from the same place as I bought all the PC bits.

--
*Gaffer tape - The Force, light and dark sides - holds the universe together*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I left the password blank.

So you've got a functioning installation of XP that gets as far as the
login screen, but you can't get logged in, is that it?

If so, the Nordahl bootable CD/USB that I mentioned will let you set the
administrator password to something known, so you can then login.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

If so, the Nordahl bootable CD/USB that I mentioned will let you set the
administrator password to something known, so you can then login.

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
I left the password blank.

So you've got a functioning installation of XP that gets as far as the
login screen, but you can't get logged in, is that it?

No. It attempts to boot, then stops long before getting to the desktop.
It's the repair console on the installation CD that asks for the
*administration* password. Before even attempting to start XP.

If so, the Nordahl bootable CD/USB that I mentioned will let you set the
administrator password to something known, so you can then login.

--
*I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No. It attempts to boot, then stops long before getting to the desktop.
It's the repair console on the installation CD that asks for the
*administration* password. Before even attempting to start XP.

OK, Peter's bootable CD/USB will *still* change the password, then you
can carry on with the repair console ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I was hoping someone knew the default administrative password,

There is no default, search for Peter Nordahl's windows password
recovery (bootable floppy/CD/USB)

The usual way to hack most XP installs is to start in safe mode,
ctl-alt-del to get the password screen, use administrator with no
password. This is because most users don't actually use administrator
and don'y change the password or disable the account.

It won't start in safe mode either.

IIRC there is a key you can hold down while booting to bring up the
boot menu something like right-ctrl

That would be F8 dennis

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

That would be F8 dennis

That only works if the menus are still enabled!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
I left the password blank.

So you've got a functioning installation of XP that gets as far as the
login screen, but you can't get logged in, is that it?

No. It attempts to boot, then stops long before getting to the desktop.
It's the repair console on the installation CD that asks for the
*administration* password. Before even attempting to start XP.

If so, the Nordahl bootable CD/USB that I mentioned will let you set the
administrator password to something known, so you can then login.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978788

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
In article1cGdnZes45Mihs7RnZ2dnUVZ8nOdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
John wrote:
Some will prompt for an installation directory (in recognition that
they have seen an existing install in say c:\windows). If you ensure
this is set to the existing directory, it should do a reinstall.

Can't find that option.

So if you boot from the CD and do a normal install, how does it
proceed? It should find a valid partition, and give you the option to
format it (which you decline), and then let you go ahead and install.
(don't go for recovery console or repair etc - just a normal install.
Once complete you should have a fresh install, but still with the
apps recognised etc.

No, it deletes the existing Windows stuff and starts again. When
booting from that the HD appears blank - all the other apps have gone.

Hmm, must be an odd version of the XP disk - I frequently do repair
installs of XP from OEM copies of the disk, and never have any
difficulty preserving the existing apps etc. Have you got another XP CD
to try?

Only the one - as I said I bought and paid for it. It wasn't supplied with
a ready made computer. Says on it 'for distribution with a new PC only.
For product support contact the manufacturer of your PC'. Which I suppose
is me. ;-)

So it is possible it doesn't have 'everything' on it.

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Hmm, must be an odd version of the XP disk - I frequently do repair
installs of XP from OEM copies of the disk, and never have any
difficulty preserving the existing apps etc. Have you got another XP CD
to try?

Only the one - as I said I bought and paid for it. It wasn't supplied
with a ready made computer. Says on it 'for distribution with a new PC
only. For product support contact the manufacturer of your PC'. Which I
suppose is me. ;-)

So it is possible it doesn't have 'everything' on it.

There's only one thing likely to be missing from it. A legitimate
licence...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Hmm, must be an odd version of the XP disk - I frequently do repair
installs of XP from OEM copies of the disk, and never have any
difficulty preserving the existing apps etc. Have you got another XP CD
to try?

Only the one - as I said I bought and paid for it. It wasn't supplied
with a ready made computer. Says on it 'for distribution with a new PC
only. For product support contact the manufacturer of your PC'. Which I
suppose is me. ;-)

So it is possible it doesn't have 'everything' on it.

There's only one thing likely to be missing from it. A legitimate
licence...

It is genuine and has the product key. Bought from a long established
reputable supplier. IIRC, the only real difference from a 'full' price
version is no paper handbook.

--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There's only one thing likely to be missing from it. A legitimate
licence...

It is genuine and has the product key. Bought from a long established
reputable supplier. IIRC, the only real difference from a 'full' price
version is no paper handbook.

Nope. It's OEM and is licensed for use on the machine it's sold with.
Once that machine dies, Microsoft says the right to use it has also died
- and you have made an agreement with them (the EULA) that says you will
comply with this.

There is a dodgy loop hole if you can convince them that the motherboard
died and was unreplacable with like, but that involves speaking to MS
product activation staff who have heard it all before...

However, the 'full' price retail package is different, in that you _can_
install it and activate on your upgrades.

With neither, you get the right to install the operating software on
another machine for use simultaneously. You have to buy another copy.
The "legitimate licence" Adrian was refering to.

Just to complicate things further, looks like your OEM disc has been
knobled by whoever left the 'XP repair' utility off. In my mind that is
not even a complete OEM disc, and you may have grounds to argue that one
with the supplier.

Anyway, this isn't helping your current situation. A proper OEM disc
(obtained from anywhere cough cough) that matches your current
license key and service pack level (though not exactly essential,
useful) should sort you out until it starts wobbling about reactivation.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/10 15:18, Adrian C wrote:
There is a dodgy loop hole if you can convince them that the motherboard
died and was unreplacable with like, but that involves speaking to MS
product activation staff who have heard it all before...

It's fairly easy in my experience to convince them to authorise a
legitimate reinstall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian C wrote:

There's only one thing likely to be missing from it. A legitimate
licence...

It is genuine and has the product key. Bought from a long established
reputable supplier. IIRC, the only real difference from a 'full' price
version is no paper handbook.

Nope. It's OEM and is licensed for use on the machine it's sold with.
Once that machine dies, Microsoft says the right to use it has also died
- and you have made an agreement with them (the EULA) that says you will
comply with this.

I've never signed any such agreement.

There is a dodgy loop hole if you can convince them that the motherboard
died and was unreplacable with like, but that involves speaking to MS
product activation staff who have heard it all before...

I've already done this with success. And installed upgrades afterwards.

However, the 'full' price retail package is different, in that you _can_
install it and activate on your upgrades.

With neither, you get the right to install the operating software on
another machine for use simultaneously. You have to buy another copy.
The "legitimate licence" Adrian was refering to.

Just to complicate things further, looks like your OEM disc has been
knobled by whoever left the 'XP repair' utility off. In my mind that is
not even a complete OEM disc, and you may have grounds to argue that one
with the supplier.

Anyway, this isn't helping your current situation. A proper OEM disc
(obtained from anywhere cough cough) that matches your current
license key and service pack level (though not exactly essential,
useful) should sort you out until it starts wobbling about reactivation.

All I have to do is spend some time loading in all the apps I use to the
basic XP installation on the second machine. I was just hoping to save
some time.

I can quite understand MS or whoever trying their best to prevent
pirating. In this case I just want it on both machines which are only used
by me. They're not losing out on any sales.

--
*I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2010 in message Dave Plowman
(News) wrote:

I can quite understand MS or whoever trying their best to prevent
pirating. In this case I just want it on both machines which are only used
by me. They're not losing out on any sales.

Sorry, can you say that again?
If you install XP on 2 machines using the same key MSFT have lost 1 sale.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nope. It's OEM and is licensed for use on the machine it's sold with.
Once that machine dies, Microsoft says the right to use it has also died
- and you have made an agreement with them (the EULA) that says you will
comply with this.

I've never signed any such agreement.

It's mainly called pressing the F8 key.

After that point the marriage has been consummated and in the eyes of
Microsoft lawyers ye are either (1) f'd, or (2) accepting to pay huge
legal fees in the vain hope of not getting f'd.

There is a dodgy loop hole if you can convince them that the motherboard
died and was unreplacable with like, but that involves speaking to MS
product activation staff who have heard it all before...

I've already done this with success. And installed upgrades afterwards.

With this CD and license key sticker? How many activations?

Have a look at the setupp.ini file in the i386 directory on your XP CD
and discover what your "pid" says about the version you have. Details on
the foot of ...

http://www.infocellar.com/winxp/oem-recover-retail.htm

I can quite understand MS or whoever trying their best to prevent
pirating. In this case I just want it on both machines which are only used
by me. They're not losing out on any sales.

OK, you've just denied one starving Microsoft technician one third of
his lunch ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes

To be fair, it often does not need to go as far as speaking to a rep -
usually a reactivation via touch tone fone will fix it on a motherboard
upgrade - especially if the original has been activated for some time.

Ploughman killed my PC by proxy

It died last night from dodgy caps

Bought a new mbd today and it decided I needed to reactivate windows

.... which I did over the internet - quite straightforward and painless

--
geoff