Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A very senior moment...

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 00:00:17 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , John
Rumm writes

To be fair, it often does not need to go as far as speaking to a rep -
usually a reactivation via touch tone fone will fix it on a motherboard
upgrade - especially if the original has been activated for some time.

Ploughman killed my PC by proxy

It died last night from dodgy caps

Bought a new mbd today and it decided I needed to reactivate windows

... which I did over the internet - quite straightforward and painless

Even better to get a copy of XP that does not need activation.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
geoff wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes

To be fair, it often does not need to go as far as speaking to a rep -
usually a reactivation via touch tone fone will fix it on a motherboard
upgrade - especially if the original has been activated for some time.

Ploughman killed my PC by proxy

^^^^^^^^^
Ahem. ;-)

It died last night from dodgy caps

Bought a new mbd today and it decided I needed to reactivate windows

... which I did over the internet - quite straightforward and painless

How did you know Windows needed reactivating? Does it give a warning?

FWIW, I gave up with trying to use a cloned disc from the other machine
and did a clean install. And nowhere did it ask for me to enter an
'administrative' password.

--
*If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

did a clean install. And nowhere did it ask for me to enter an
'administrative' password.

Did it ask you for another username (and password)?

if you open a "DOS" window (start, run, cmd.exe)

then type "set u" into it, what's your username?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

did a clean install. And nowhere did it ask for me to enter an
'administrative' password.

Did it ask you for another username (and password)?

User name - but the password is optional. And of course I tried all my
passwords when attempting the repair. I don't have that many.

if you open a "DOS" window (start, run, cmd.exe)

then type "set u" into it, what's your username?

The one I entered. The first thing I tried when asked by the repair consul.

--
*Never kick a cow pat on a hot day *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Andy wrote:

Did it ask you for another username (and password)?

User name - but the password is optional.

if you open a "DOS" window (start, run, cmd.exe)
then type "set u" into it, what's your username?

The one I entered.

Is this XP home, or XP Pro? Which logon screen have you got enabled?
The "friendly" one where you pick your name and picture from a list, or
the one where you type in your username?

If the latter you should be able to log in as administrator and the same
password as for your "dave" (or whatever it's called) account, but the
first (or only) user you've created will have admin rights anyway. worth
checking now for the *next* time you need to get into repair mode.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Andy wrote:

Did it ask you for another username (and password)?

User name - but the password is optional.

if you open a "DOS" window (start, run, cmd.exe)
then type "set u" into it, what's your username?

The one I entered.

Is this XP home, or XP Pro?

Home.

Which logon screen have you got enabled?
The "friendly" one where you pick your name and picture from a list, or
the one where you type in your username?

Type in your user name.

If the latter you should be able to log in as administrator and the same
password as for your "dave" (or whatever it's called) account, but the
first (or only) user you've created will have admin rights anyway. worth
checking now for the *next* time you need to get into repair mode.

Didn't enter a password, though. Just a name. Wouldn't have bothered with
that but it insisted.

--
*Rehab is for quitters.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 04/08/2010 00:00, geoff wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes

To be fair, it often does not need to go as far as speaking to a rep -
usually a reactivation via touch tone fone will fix it on a
motherboard upgrade - especially if the original has been activated
for some time.

Ploughman killed my PC by proxy

It died last night from dodgy caps

Bought a new mbd today and it decided I needed to reactivate windows

.... which I did over the internet - quite straightforward and painless

Yup, often works. The gotcha is when it insists that it wants to
reactivate *now" before you can go any further, and the system does not
recognise your network card. Hence you can't activate on line, and yet
it won't let you do anything useful to load drivers so that you could!
(sometimes you get three days to activate - but the logic for which it
chooses does not seem consistent)

That happened to me a couple of years ago - managed to sort ot by an
automated phone call

This time I first tried to use the phone number so I didn't get the
activation required notice coming up all the way through the driver
installation, but the string of numbers that I had to type into the
phone just weren't there (type in the code numbers below ... what 'kin
code numbers)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mark
writes
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 00:00:17 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , John
Rumm writes

To be fair, it often does not need to go as far as speaking to a rep -
usually a reactivation via touch tone fone will fix it on a motherboard
upgrade - especially if the original has been activated for some time.

Ploughman killed my PC by proxy

It died last night from dodgy caps

Bought a new mbd today and it decided I needed to reactivate windows

... which I did over the internet - quite straightforward and painless

Even better to get a copy of XP that does not need activation.

What copy would that be then ?

I wanted to maintain my installation and settings, not do a complete
install

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
geoff wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes

To be fair, it often does not need to go as far as speaking to a rep -
usually a reactivation via touch tone fone will fix it on a motherboard
upgrade - especially if the original has been activated for some time.

Ploughman killed my PC by proxy

^^^^^^^^^
Ahem. ;-)

It died last night from dodgy caps

Bought a new mbd today and it decided I needed to reactivate windows

... which I did over the internet - quite straightforward and painless

How did you know Windows needed reactivating? Does it give a warning?

Big FO box comes up every time you reboot asking you if you want to
re-activate now and reminding you that you have three days to reactivate

FWIW, I gave up with trying to use a cloned disc from the other machine
and did a clean install. And nowhere did it ask for me to enter an
'administrative' password.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 04/08/2010 20:29, geoff wrote:
In message , Mark
writes
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 00:00:17 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , John
Rumm writes

To be fair, it often does not need to go as far as speaking to a rep -
usually a reactivation via touch tone fone will fix it on a motherboard
upgrade - especially if the original has been activated for some time.

Ploughman killed my PC by proxy

It died last night from dodgy caps

Bought a new mbd today and it decided I needed to reactivate windows

... which I did over the internet - quite straightforward and painless

Even better to get a copy of XP that does not need activation.

What copy would that be then ?

I wanted to maintain my installation and settings, not do a complete
install

Ones on a hacked corporate key...

I was waiting for him to say that

(lots of the keys are blacklisted by MS though now)

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 20:47:58 +0100, geoff wrote:

[...]

My copy is legit.

--
(\__/) M.