Gunner Asch

Default Senior Moment

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:59:44 -0400, Pete Keillor
wrote:

I was finishing up the OA cart today, and couldn't get an arc. I was
using my Dynasty 200DX in stick mode with 6011 rod. Checked out the
setup several times. I finally noticed that I had the stick in
backwards. Good grief.

Pete Keillor

I smoked my commercial 5hp rotary converter tonight trying to start
what turned out to be a 10hp motor so I could breadboard up a bigger
rotary converter to run my big Airco Phase Arc 350.

Damnit

Anyone want to trade a MINTY Airco 3ph Mig will do marvelous spray
transfer, 350 amp, with new Tweeco torch, beautiful condition, low
time, for a good Mig I can use on 220 single phase and run .045 wire
with?

Anyone have a larger rotary converter?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Grant Erwin

Suggest you simply replace the electrolytic start caps in your RPC and you'll be
back to where you started.

My RPC has a 7.5 hp idler and it has started several different 10 hp 3 phase
motors with no load. Maybe you should use your 5hp RPC to start a 7.5hp motor,
leave that running, and then try to start the 10hp motor?

Phase converters are really simple machines. You shouldn't have any trouble
fixing one or making one!

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Gunner Asch wrote:

I smoked my commercial 5hp rotary converter tonight trying to start
what turned out to be a 10hp motor so I could breadboard up a bigger
rotary converter to run my big Airco Phase Arc 350.

Damnit

Anyone want to trade a MINTY Airco 3ph Mig will do marvelous spray
transfer, 350 amp, with new Tweeco torch, beautiful condition, low
time, for a good Mig I can use on 220 single phase and run .045 wire
with?

Anyone have a larger rotary converter?

Bruce L. Bergman

wrote:

I was finishing up the OA cart today, and couldn't get an arc. I was
using my Dynasty 200DX in stick mode with 6011 rod. Checked out the
setup several times. I finally noticed that I had the stick in
backwards. Good grief.

I smoked my commercial 5hp rotary converter tonight trying to start
what turned out to be a 10hp motor so I could breadboard up a bigger
rotary converter to run my big Airco Phase Arc 350.

Damnit

Sorry, I haven't blown up anything lately. But I fixed a high
ground "shocking people in the pool" situation last week that was
caused by someone /else's/ Pure Stupidity, does that count? ;-)

Turns out some nimrod spliced the underground 240V feeders going
into the Pool Service 'All-In-One' panel in a 12-12-6 box with
split-bolts, and didn't tape them well at all - one layer of linerless
rubber tape only, no friction tape, no plastic tape, no filler putty,
nothing. And one of the Hot split bolts was pushing against the
cover, punched through it's tape and grounded to the steel cover.

After the initial hard short and the tip of the split-bolt burned
back a little, they had a nice high-resistance carbonized path to
ground that drug the electrical system ground up a few volts above the
pool steel's earth ground. Just enough of a potential (about 0.7 VAC)
between the water and the ladder arms to get the bathers' attention...

Retaped the hot bolts, and it went away.

Anyone want to trade a MINTY Airco 3ph Mig will do marvelous spray
transfer, 350 amp, with new Tweco torch, beautiful condition, low
time, for a good Mig I can use on 220 single phase and run .045 wire
with?

Sorry, just a garden variety Miller Challenger...

Anyone have a larger rotary converter?

I don't think you can run that Airco beast flat out even if you
connect straight to the 100A 1Ph service you have - 10 Hp at 230V is
50A, and IIRC that's the whole shop feed. You go to strike an arc,
and every house for 1/4 mile is going to blink.

You were going to change out the power pedestal anyways. Why don't
you ask Edison if you can get a 3-Phase service?

(I'm getting prices for a 200A 1Ph Pedestal w/ 12-breaker distro
section, they do make 3Ph ones, too. The breaker brokers around here
never see used ones come in.)

JonLovitz
Tell them you need 3-phase because you're going to drill a well. Or
install an elevator to the 2nd floor of Chez Gunner... Yeah, that's
it, that's the ticket, an elevator! A big hydraulic freight elevator
down to your big basement workshop under the house, with a 20 - no, a
30! A 30-Horsepower pump. Yeah, that'll work... ;-P
/JonLovitz

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Cliff

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 07:56:38 GMT, Gunner Asch
wrote:

I engineer for that sort of event. As I did here. The RPC failed
below rated overload. I had an amp meter on all 3 legs when it went.

sigh

Any idea how 3 legs of RMS power add up? When all you
are measuring is AC amps?
--
Cliff
jim rozen

In article , Gunner Asch says...

I can tell you from experience of about 15 minutes ago..that its
vitually impossible to rope start a 10 hp, 3450 rpm motor on single
phase. I ran like a sumbitch pulling just as hard as I could and
still couldnt get it up to speed. Repeatedly..puff huff puff...

And if it does start, you better hope you can let go of the
rope!

doppler effect high Help!

doppler effect low Me!

doppler effect high Help!