Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A very senior moment...

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
In article1cGdnZes45Mihs7RnZ2dnUVZ8nOdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
John wrote:
Some will prompt for an installation directory (in recognition that
they have seen an existing install in say c:\windows). If you ensure
this is set to the existing directory, it should do a reinstall.

Can't find that option.

So if you boot from the CD and do a normal install, how does it
proceed? It should find a valid partition, and give you the option to
format it (which you decline), and then let you go ahead and install.
(don't go for recovery console or repair etc - just a normal install.
Once complete you should have a fresh install, but still with the
apps recognised etc.

No, it deletes the existing Windows stuff and starts again. When
booting from that the HD appears blank - all the other apps have gone.

Hmm, must be an odd version of the XP disk - I frequently do repair
installs of XP from OEM copies of the disk, and never have any
difficulty preserving the existing apps etc. Have you got another XP CD
to try?

Only the one - as I said I bought and paid for it. It wasn't supplied with
a ready made computer. Says on it 'for distribution with a new PC only.
For product support contact the manufacturer of your PC'. Which I suppose
is me. ;-)

So it is possible it doesn't have 'everything' on it.

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.