Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UK DIYers clueless about tools

Matty F
wibbled on Friday 23 July 2010 22:54

On Jul 24, 6:04 am, Steve Walker
wrote:

I should
really keep some in the house, but my wife moves everything and then I
can't find it, whereas she doesn't venture into the garage at all.

Why do some people like to move other people's things around and
forget where they put them? Including stacking things on top of each
other, like putting things on top of important things like the TV
remote or car keys.

Now add the kids and you're doomed.

I never lose anything that's lying around in the roof spaces.

And keys and and paper are safe since I bough a job lot of ******* string
neodynium magnets and stuck them to the fridge.

But try to hold onto the TV remote for a day...

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
On Jul 24, 6:04 am, Steve Walker
wrote:

I should
really keep some in the house, but my wife moves everything and then
I can't find it, whereas she doesn't venture into the garage at all.

Why do some people like to move other people's things around and
forget where they put them? Including stacking things on top of each
other, like putting things on top of important things like the TV
remote or car keys.

Hoy! Are you seeing my wife?

On second thoughts, you can't be: her best triumphs are to place tall stacks
of heavy objects such as books on top of thinwalled cardboard boxes crushing
them and their contents!

She has learnt not to move things but has acquired the skill of placing
stuff over them over the past ~40 years.

"Darling, do you know where I've put my glasses?" as I grope around the
house trying to find them! No, not hidden, not crushed, just misplaced by
me. Doh!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember PeterC
saying something like:

A "slotted screwdriver" sounds like a rare beast.

I have one, in common with lots of other people.

I'll bet you don't.

I do - a screwdriver with a slot cut in it for doing up spokes, so that the
nipple can be screwed down past the end of the spoke.

I'll bet it isn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 July, 16:41, Jethro wrote:
On 23 July, 10:31, Andy Dingley wrote:

How many used a hacksaw for pushfit?

PMSL !!!!!!!!

Has he popped in recently ?

He probably effed off because he was a plantpot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 July, 21:22, PeterC wrote:

I do - a screwdriver with a slot cut in it for doing up spokes, so that the
nipple can be screwed down past the end of the spoke.

Funny that, my spoke screwdriver has a spike in the middle, so that it
locates in the spoke nut. It's only for initial assembly of a wheel,
truing uses a Spokey on the nut flats.

How many spokes end up sticking out past the nut, and what sort of rim
tape does that need?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 23 July, 16:41, Jethro wrote:
On 23 July, 10:31, Andy Dingley wrote:

How many used a hacksaw for pushfit?

PMSL !!!!!!!!

Has he popped in recently ?

He probably effed off because he was a plantpot.

geof must be taking his pills, at least for now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 03:56:42 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley wrote:

On 23 July, 21:22, PeterC wrote:

I do - a screwdriver with a slot cut in it for doing up spokes, so that the
nipple can be screwed down past the end of the spoke.

Funny that, my spoke screwdriver has a spike in the middle, so that it
locates in the spoke nut. It's only for initial assembly of a wheel,
truing uses a Spokey on the nut flats.

How many spokes end up sticking out past the nut, and what sort of rim
tape does that need?

It's for the last few turns as it's much quicker than a key.
I first made it when I used tubs. for TTs, then it was OK for rims such as
Mavic M3CD, MA40 etc.
There was often a little bit through when dishing was extreme (used to make
a lot of effort to gain a few mm on the drive side to reduce it) and
anyway, once the spoke is to the bottom of the slot the modded 'driver's
handy.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

On 23 July, 16:41, Jethro wrote:
On 23 July, 10:31, Andy Dingley wrote:

How many used a hacksaw for pushfit?

PMSL !!!!!!!!

Has he popped in recently ?

He probably effed off because he was a plantpot.

geof must be taking his pills, at least for now.

What are you ranting on about now, retard ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Chapman
writes
On 23 July, 16:41, wrote:
On 23 July, 10:31, Andy wrote:

How many used a hacksaw for pushfit?

PMSL !!!!!!!!

Has he popped in recently ?

He probably effed off because he was a plantpot.

Morphed into Harry?

Harry and dennis, eh ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb writes:

Many years ago, there was a Health and Safety poster discouraging the
use of a screwdriver to open a tin of paint. They didn't suggest a
correct alternative.

I bought several tins of paint a few months back for some outdoor
work. I noticed on one of them it said "do not open with a
screwdriver". Well, I already had. It didn't say how you should
open the tin. Actually, the metal tab on the triagular gas meter
box key is perfect. It is wide and slightly curved, like the
edge of the tin.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 17:56:03 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I bought several tins of paint a few months back for some outdoor
work. I noticed on one of them it said "do not open with a
screwdriver". Well, I already had. It didn't say how you should
open the tin.

Hum, quite. How are you supposed to open these containers if you
can't use a lever?

Whats the problem with a screwdriver? I am aware that the occasional
lid will pop off rather than just come loose but that's why you have
your other hand over the top of the can... One would also use a
fairly large flat bladed screwdriver not a tiddly one for doing
screws in plug tops.

I guess it's the nanny state and ares covering manufacturers
protecting themselves from the clueless.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

On 23 July, 16:41, Jethro wrote:
On 23 July, 10:31, Andy Dingley wrote:

How many used a hacksaw for pushfit?

PMSL !!!!!!!!

Has he popped in recently ?

He probably effed off because he was a plantpot.

geof must be taking his pills, at least for now.

What are you ranting on about now, retard ?

--
geoff

He is such a retard that he cannot spell geoff.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

On 23 July, 16:41, Jethro wrote:
On 23 July, 10:31, Andy Dingley wrote:

How many used a hacksaw for pushfit?

PMSL !!!!!!!!

Has he popped in recently ?

He probably effed off because he was a plantpot.

geof must be taking his pills, at least for now.

What are you ranting on about now, retard ?

--
geoff

He is such a retard that he cannot spell geoff.

Adam

There are too many letters in geoff for you so I had to shorten it.
Shouldn't you be out annoying your neighbours or are you having a day off?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

On 23 July, 16:41, Jethro wrote:
On 23 July, 10:31, Andy Dingley wrote:

How many used a hacksaw for pushfit?

PMSL !!!!!!!!

Has he popped in recently ?

He probably effed off because he was a plantpot.

geof must be taking his pills, at least for now.

What are you ranting on about now, retard ?

--
geoff

He is such a retard that he cannot spell geoff.

Adam

There are too many letters in geoff for you so I had to shorten it.
Shouldn't you be out annoying your neighbours or are you having a day off?

You are a cnt.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-07-24, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Hum, quite. How are you supposed to open these containers if you
can't use a lever?

Whats the problem with a screwdriver?

I expect some pillock slipped and cut themselves and then sued. The
instruction about screwdrivers is to prevent a repeat, not a real
directive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-Pain.../dp/B0001IWE4Q
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-07-24, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Hum, quite. How are you supposed to open these containers if you
can't use a lever?

Whats the problem with a screwdriver?

I expect some pillock slipped and cut themselves and then sued. The
instruction about screwdrivers is to prevent a repeat, not a real
directive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-Pain.../dp/B0001IWE4Q

That looks like a crude version of the smooth, rounded tyre lever that I
use. Gave up with screwdrivers on modern paint cans because the metal is
too thin - had to use a plastic stirrer on one because metal was deforming
the side of the can where it touched.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 05:44:13 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-Pain.../dp/B0001IWE4Q

Looks like a large, bent, worn, screwdriver to me. B-)

It's also unavailable or no longer listed from the handful of stores
that returned it from google. Bit woorying that it has to have what
it's for embossed on the handle, but then for the clueless...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 25, 6:34 pm, PeterC wrote:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-Pain.../dp/B0001IWE4Q

That looks like a crude version of the smooth, rounded tyre lever that I
use. Gave up with screwdrivers on modern paint cans because the metal is
too thin - had to use a plastic stirrer on one because metal was deforming
the side of the can where it touched.

If the can is very thin I use a screwdriver at 0 degees rather than 90
degree angle to the edge of the can. Lever up a little bit around half
of the can and the lid doesn't get damaged. I don't know how to
explain this but when you do it it is really the only sensible way to
open a paint can.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 01:52:19 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

If the can is very thin I use a screwdriver at 0 degees rather than 90
degree angle to the edge of the can. Lever up a little bit around half
of the can and the lid doesn't get damaged. I don't know how to
explain this but when you do it it is really the only sensible way to
open a paint can.

The word you are looking for is "tangent". Have the screwdriver at a
tangent to the rim and yes that is a more controlled method of
opening.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 25, 6:34 pm, PeterC wrote:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-Pain.../dp/B0001IWE4Q

That looks like a crude version of the smooth, rounded tyre lever that I
use. Gave up with screwdrivers on modern paint cans because the metal is
too thin - had to use a plastic stirrer on one because metal was deforming
the side of the can where it touched.

If the can is very thin I use a screwdriver at 0 degees rather than 90
degree angle to the edge of the can. Lever up a little bit around half
of the can and the lid doesn't get damaged. I don't know how to
explain this but when you do it it is really the only sensible way to
open a paint can.

Yes, go round doing a bit at a time. The tyre lever doesn't have any sharp
corners or edges and it wider than a screwdriver so I prefer it.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice"
saying something like:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-Pain.../dp/B0001IWE4Q

Looks like a large, bent, worn, screwdriver to me. B-)

It's also unavailable or no longer listed from the handful of stores
that returned it from google. Bit woorying that it has to have what
it's for embossed on the handle, but then for the clueless...

When it finally ends up in the kitchen Drawer-Fulla-Crap, it might be
some years before it's found and the inscription might prevent it being
thrown out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:02:56 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

"The survey revealed that a whopping 84% of DIY enthusiasts admit to
using kitchen cutlery to finish a job, while 43% use their fingernails
and 24% use pennies. Some of those unable to find the right tool chose
to use a nail file instead (14%), with 13% choosing to use shoes and
4% trying oven gloves.

Isn't this just lying with statistics? It doesn't say what the job is.
I suspect "it" is replies to a list of different jobs because what one
job could you complete with oven gloves or shoes or pennies or
fingernails?

I recently asked how to cut celotex and kitchen knives were
recommended, so in the right context some of these solutions aren't as
daft as the report makes out. I was going to suggest whether you could
you use pennies beneath a row of tiles but I see other people have
beaten me to it and already suggested they might be legitimately used
as spacers.

Poem of the week - for diyers The Night Tripper[_2_] UK diy 7 September 8th 09 08:07 PM
Router Set - for DIYers Arthur 51 UK diy 9 June 3rd 09 07:09 PM
For Geeky DIYers Arthur2 UK diy 0 February 9th 09 11:16 PM
Uk outdoor DIYers Corporal Jones UK diy 5 August 20th 08 10:09 AM
50+ DIYers Nibor UK diy 27 August 24th 06 09:57 PM