Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default UK DIYers clueless about tools

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:02:56 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

"The survey revealed that a whopping 84% of DIY enthusiasts admit to
using kitchen cutlery to finish a job, while 43% use their fingernails
and 24% use pennies. Some of those unable to find the right tool chose
to use a nail file instead (14%), with 13% choosing to use shoes and
4% trying oven gloves.

Isn't this just lying with statistics? It doesn't say what the job is.
I suspect "it" is replies to a list of different jobs because what one
job could you complete with oven gloves or shoes or pennies or
fingernails?

I recently asked how to cut celotex and kitchen knives were
recommended, so in the right context some of these solutions aren't as
daft as the report makes out. I was going to suggest whether you could
you use pennies beneath a row of tiles but I see other people have
beaten me to it and already suggested they might be legitimately used
as spacers.