Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UK DIYers clueless about tools

Good news for me :-)

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=13578

Unlikely to be a problem to the people here :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 22, 11:38*pm, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Good news for me :-)

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=13578

Unlikely to be a problem to the people here :-)

"The survey revealed that a whopping 84% of DIY enthusiasts admit to
using kitchen cutlery to finish a job, while 43% use their fingernails
and 24% use pennies. Some of those unable to find the right tool chose
to use a nail file instead (14%), with 13% choosing to use shoes and
4% trying oven gloves.

Focus project manager Nasim Valli said: "The problem seems to be that
most of us simply don't own the right DIY tools, or in some cases any
at all. 48% of us own 10 or less tools, which is probably why some of
us have resorted to using our toothbrushes and even saucepans!"

Damn!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
"The survey revealed that a whopping 84% of DIY enthusiasts admit to
using kitchen cutlery to finish a job, while 43% use their fingernails
and 24% use pennies. Some of those unable to find the right tool chose
to use a nail file instead (14%), with 13% choosing to use shoes and
4% trying oven gloves.

"Tool store in tool selling shocker!"

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article QN32o.256060$vB5.37476@hurricane,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Good news for me :-)

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=13578

Unlikely to be a problem to the people here :-)

I read that as
"The survey revealed that a whopping 84% of DIY enthusiasts admit
to using kitchen cutlery to finish a job, while 43% use their
fingernails and 24% use penises."

Talk about a pointless non-story though. I guess they couldn't
think of something useful to publish.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 23, 11:02 am, NT wrote:

48% of us own 10 or less tools, which is probably why some of
us have resorted to using our toothbrushes and even saucepans!"

I use a saucepan with my wireless modem. I bet nobody can guess why!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Good news for me :-)

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=13578

Unlikely to be a problem to the people here :-)

A "slotted screwdriver" sounds like a rare beast.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F
saying something like:

On Jul 23, 11:02 am, NT wrote:

48% of us own 10 or less tools, which is probably why some of
us have resorted to using our toothbrushes and even saucepans!"

I use a saucepan with my wireless modem. I bet nobody can guess why!

12km?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Matty F wrote:
On Jul 23, 11:02 am, NT wrote:

48% of us own 10 or less tools, which is probably why some of
us have resorted to using our toothbrushes and even saucepans!"

I use a saucepan with my wireless modem. I bet nobody can guess why!

Focusing it to increase distance? Shielding to reduce interference from
next door?

Building a microwave deathray with 500 focused netgears?

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 23, 5:58 pm, dmc@puffin. (D.M.Chapman) wrote:
In article ,
Matty F wrote:

On Jul 23, 11:02 am, NT wrote:

48% of us own 10 or less tools, which is probably why some of
us have resorted to using our toothbrushes and even saucepans!"

I use a saucepan with my wireless modem. I bet nobody can guess why!

Focusing it to increase distance? Shielding to reduce interference from
next door?

Building a microwave deathray with 500 focused netgears?

None of those. The saucepan is sometimes put over the entire modem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Good news for me :-)

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=13578

Unlikely to be a problem to the people here :-)

I have used kitchen knives (the bluntish sort) when I needed a wedge, I
would be amongst the 84% if they asked me.
Spoons are good for removing lids too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Jul 23, 11:02 am, NT wrote:

48% of us own 10 or less tools, which is probably why some of
us have resorted to using our toothbrushes and even saucepans!"

I use a saucepan with my wireless modem. I bet nobody can guess why!

Making an omni-directional slot aerial out of the omni-directional aerial on
the modem?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty wrote:

On Jul 23, 11:02 am, wrote:

48% of us own 10 or less tools, which is probably why some of
us have resorted to using our toothbrushes and even saucepans!"

I use a saucepan with my wireless modem. I bet nobody can guess why!

Focusing it to increase distance? Shielding to reduce interference from
next door?

Building a microwave deathray with 500 focused netgears?

None of those. The saucepan is sometimes put over the entire modem.

To kill the wireless signal so the kids upstairs can't use it after bedtime?

When I decided to go all wired I was surprised there was no option for
turning the wireless signal off. Even with all the various protective
measures available set I was dubious as to whether some of the local
students might have found it a challenge to hack.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 July, 23:38, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Good news for me :-)

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=13578

Unlikely to be a problem to the people here :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Electric knife good for cutting foam rubber.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-07-23 08:37:53 +0100, dennis@home said:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message news:QN32o.256060$vB5.37476@hurricane...
Good news for me :-)

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=13578

Unlikely to be a problem to the people here :-)

I have used kitchen knives (the bluntish sort) when I needed a wedge, I
would be amongst the 84% if they asked me.

Exactly. Regularly use blunt knives for opening tins.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 23, 6:52*am, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Good news for me :-)

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=13578

Unlikely to be a problem to the people here :-)

A "slotted screwdriver" sounds like a rare beast.

I have one, in common with lots of other people. For doing up Romford
axle nuts.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty wrote:

On Jul 23, 11:02 am, wrote:

48% of us own 10 or less tools, which is probably why some of
us have resorted to using our toothbrushes and even saucepans!"

I use a saucepan with my wireless modem. I bet nobody can guess why!

Focusing it to increase distance? Shielding to reduce interference from
next door?

Building a microwave deathray with 500 focused netgears?

None of those. The saucepan is sometimes put over the entire modem.

To kill the wireless signal so the kids upstairs can't use it after bedtime?

When I decided to go all wired I was surprised there was no option for
turning the wireless signal off. Even with all the various protective
measures available set I was dubious as to whether some of the local
students might have found it a challenge to hack.

Wrong! He's downstairs!
When he's used up all my bandwidth and we are back on dialup speed,
the modem seems to give precedence to the wireless connection ahead of
the ethernet cable connection. So his Youtube download stops a quite
small jpg from arriving in my machine. But not with a saucepan over
the modem!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:02:56 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:
On Jul 22, 11:38Â*pm, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Good news for me :-)

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=13578

Unlikely to be a problem to the people here :-)

"The survey revealed ... using kitchen cutlery ...4% trying oven

gloves.

Focus project manager Nasim Valli said: "The problem seems to be

... and even saucepans!"

Maybe the problem is that Focus shopkeepers are confused about the
difference between DIY and cookery? It would explain the utter
lack of knowledge in their staff.

--
www.thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/page1.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 July, 10:00, "Man at B&Q" wrote:

A "slotted screwdriver" sounds like a rare beast.

I have one, in common with lots of other people. For doing up Romford
axle nuts.

Now there's a name I've not heard of in years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 July, 00:02, NT wrote:

"The survey revealed that a whopping 84% of DIY enthusiasts admit to
using kitchen cutlery to finish a job, while 43% use their fingernails
and 24% use pennies.

How many used a hacksaw for pushfit?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 July, 00:44, Theo Markettos
wrote:

"Tool store in tool selling shocker!"

"Clueless numpties found shopping at Focus!"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Good news for me :-)

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=13578

Unlikely to be a problem to the people here :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Electric knife good for cutting foam rubber.

Many years ago, there was a Health and Safety poster discouraging the
use of a screwdriver to open a tin of paint. They didn't suggest a
correct alternative.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"24% use pennies."

My father, a time-served joiner (now retired) always kept a couple of
old pennies in his toolkit. They were just the right thickness, for
the gap required between the top of a door and the casing when he was
hanging a new door.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Man at B&Q"
saying something like:

A "slotted screwdriver" sounds like a rare beast.

I have one, in common with lots of other people.

I'll bet you don't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"joeys worldcup" wrote in message
"24% use pennies."

My father, a time-served joiner (now retired) always kept a couple of
old pennies in his toolkit. They were just the right thickness, for
the gap required between the top of a door and the casing when he was
hanging a new door.

Agreed. But I took that comment as meaning that they used them to try to
turn screws?

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Good news for me :-)

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=13578

Unlikely to be a problem to the people here :-)

"The survey revealed that a whopping 84% of DIY enthusiasts admit to

When they day "DIY enthusiasts" do they perhaps mean "the first plebs we
asked, regardless of whether they professed to know anything about DIY"?

Probably the ones who needed to ask Focus DIY staff for help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 02:52:29 -0700 (PDT), joeys worldcup wrote:

"24% use pennies."

My father, a time-served joiner (now retired) always kept a couple of
old pennies in his toolkit. They were just the right thickness, for
the gap required between the top of a door and the casing when he was
hanging a new door.

For some screw-heads a 20p piece is almost a perfect fit.
An old mini-can opener that I keep in my wallet is a good screwdriver for
odd things - adjusted gear mechs. several times with it.

It's not what you use but knowing how to use what's to hand and it's
limitations.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 July, 13:09, PeterC wrote:

For some screw-heads a 20p piece is almost a perfect fit.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43411,43417
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 23, 1:05*pm, "John Whitworth"
wrote:
"joeys worldcup" wrote in message

"24% use pennies."

My father, a time-served joiner (now retired) always kept a couple of
old pennies in his toolkit. *They were just the right thickness, for
the gap required between the top of a door and the casing when he was
hanging a new door.

Agreed. But I took that comment as meaning that they used them to try to
turn screws?

JW

No, pennies were too thick, he used ha'pennies for that. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 July, 10:31, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 23 July, 00:02, NT wrote:

"The survey revealed that a whopping 84% of DIY enthusiasts admit to
using kitchen cutlery to finish a job, while 43% use their fingernails
and 24% use pennies.

How many used a hacksaw for pushfit?

PMSL !!!!!!!!

Has he popped in recently ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 23/07/2010 06:35, Matty F wrote:
On Jul 23, 11:02 am, wrote:

48% of us own 10 or less tools, which is probably why some of
us have resorted to using our toothbrushes and even saucepans!"

I use a saucepan with my wireless modem. I bet nobody can guess why!

as a "cantenna"...

Surely a "pantenna" in that case

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 23, 10:43*am, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
harry writes

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Good news for me :-)

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=13578

Unlikely to be a problem to the people here :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Electric knife good for cutting foam rubber.

Many years ago, there was a Health and Safety poster discouraging the
use of a screwdriver to open a tin of paint. They didn't suggest a
correct alternative.

regards

I prefer paint scrapers, with a wider blade they're less likely to
bend the lid, and can thus apply more opening force.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Good news for me :-)
http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=13578
Unlikely to be a problem to the people here :-)
--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
Electric knife good for cutting foam rubber.

Many years ago, there was a Health and Safety poster discouraging the
use of a screwdriver to open a tin of paint. They didn't suggest a
correct alternative.

regards

I prefer paint scrapers, with a wider blade they're less likely to
bend the lid, and can thus apply more opening force.

Surely a tin opener, or an angle grinder?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
When I decided to go all wired I was surprised there was no option for
turning the wireless signal off. Even with all the various protective
measures available set I was dubious as to whether some of the local
students might have found it a challenge to hack.

The Netgear DGN2000 has a wireless on/off button.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The survey revealed that a whopping 84% of DIY enthusiasts admit to
using kitchen cutlery to finish a job"

Well that's not exactly suprising. I often use knives on the screws of
the kids toys' battery boxes, simply because I'd have to get the key for
the garage, go out there and get rained on, climb past the kit-car, etc.
just to get a screwdriver for the sake of one small screw. I should
really keep some in the house, but my wife moves everything and then I
can't find it, whereas she doesn't venture into the garage at all.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty wrote:

On Jul 23, 11:02 am, wrote:

48% of us own 10 or less tools, which is probably why some of
us have resorted to using our toothbrushes and even saucepans!"

I use a saucepan with my wireless modem. I bet nobody can guess why!

Focusing it to increase distance? Shielding to reduce interference from
next door?

Building a microwave deathray with 500 focused netgears?

None of those. The saucepan is sometimes put over the entire modem.

To kill the wireless signal so the kids upstairs can't use it after
bedtime?

When I decided to go all wired I was surprised there was no option for
turning the wireless signal off. Even with all the various protective
measures available set I was dubious as to whether some of the local
students might have found it a challenge to hack.

All the wireless/wired routers that I've seen have had an option for
turning off the wireless section completely, however you do have to log
in to their internal webserver and select the option from the
configuration menus.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 23, 11:02 am, wrote:

48% of us own 10 or less tools, which is probably why some of
us have resorted to using our toothbrushes and even saucepans!"

I use a saucepan with my wireless modem. I bet nobody can guess why!

An RF reflector?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:23:17 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Man at B&Q"
saying something like:

A "slotted screwdriver" sounds like a rare beast.

I have one, in common with lots of other people.

I'll bet you don't.

I do - a screwdriver with a slot cut in it for doing up spokes, so that the
nipple can be screwed down past the end of the spoke.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 05:32:56 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley wrote:

On 23 July, 13:09, PeterC wrote:

For some screw-heads a 20p piece is almost a perfect fit.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43411,43417

Not bad for range, but a constant-diameter polygon has less radius of
curvature so is better in a slot. It's also more common.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin
wibbled on Friday 23 July 2010 16:34

wrote:
"joeys worldcup" wrote in message

"24% use pennies."

My father, a time-served joiner (now retired) always kept a couple of
old pennies in his toolkit. They were just the right thickness, for
the gap required between the top of a door and the casing when he was
hanging a new door.

Agreed. But I took that comment as meaning that they used them to try to
turn screws?

JW

No, pennies were too thick, he used ha'pennies for that. ;-)

What would be best now? 50p or £2 coin?

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 24, 6:04 am, Steve Walker
wrote:

I should
really keep some in the house, but my wife moves everything and then I
can't find it, whereas she doesn't venture into the garage at all.

Why do some people like to move other people's things around and
forget where they put them? Including stacking things on top of each
other, like putting things on top of important things like the TV
remote or car keys.

Poem of the week - for diyers The Night Tripper[_2_] UK diy 7 September 8th 09 08:07 PM
Router Set - for DIYers Arthur 51 UK diy 9 June 3rd 09 07:09 PM
For Geeky DIYers Arthur2 UK diy 0 February 9th 09 11:16 PM
Uk outdoor DIYers Corporal Jones UK diy 5 August 20th 08 10:09 AM
50+ DIYers Nibor UK diy 27 August 24th 06 09:57 PM