Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default UK DIYers clueless about tools

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 03:56:42 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley wrote:

On 23 July, 21:22, PeterC wrote:

I do - a screwdriver with a slot cut in it for doing up spokes, so that the
nipple can be screwed down past the end of the spoke.

Funny that, my spoke screwdriver has a spike in the middle, so that it
locates in the spoke nut. It's only for initial assembly of a wheel,
truing uses a Spokey on the nut flats.

How many spokes end up sticking out past the nut, and what sort of rim
tape does that need?

It's for the last few turns as it's much quicker than a key.
I first made it when I used tubs. for TTs, then it was OK for rims such as
Mavic M3CD, MA40 etc.
There was often a little bit through when dishing was extreme (used to make
a lot of effort to gain a few mm on the drive side to reduce it) and
anyway, once the spoke is to the bottom of the slot the modded 'driver's
handy.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away