Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Masonary Paint Removal

Need to repaint the outside of the house, the old masonary paint is
flaking off, though some bits are still sound. Manually scraping or
wire brushing two windowless, 8m wide, two storey gable ends and
another 10m wall doesn't appeal...

I'm thinking that a compressed air driven needle gun is the way to go
but not sure how vicious (or not) such a device is. The substrate is
stone and the pointing may well need looking at and chasing out in
places before repainting.

So is the needle gun a good idea or is there something better out
there?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 14:18:08 +0100, "Dave Liquorice"
wibbled:

Need to repaint the outside of the house, the old masonary paint is
flaking off, though some bits are still sound. Manually scraping or wire
brushing two windowless, 8m wide, two storey gable ends and another 10m
wall doesn't appeal...

I'm thinking that a compressed air driven needle gun is the way to go
but not sure how vicious (or not) such a device is. The substrate is
stone and the pointing may well need looking at and chasing out in
places before repainting.

So is the needle gun a good idea or is there something better out there?

Would a pressure washer work?

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A pressure washer can be fitted with a sand blaster attachment. That
may be too severe, or at least risks brick face damage.

However I'm sure Tommy Walsh had an angle grinder (looked like 9")
with a large flat disc with a pad on it which was specifically to
remove paint without damaging the face of bricks. Once the face has
gone you are screwed, a few wet winters will trash them quite quickly.

The material on the disk was arranged in a raised spiral pattern, I
suspect not too different to a 3M Clean n Strip disc - but much harder
because they wear down very quickly when removing even small paint
spots from brickwork.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

js.b1 wrote:
A pressure washer can be fitted with a sand blaster attachment. That
may be too severe, or at least risks brick face damage.

However I'm sure Tommy Walsh had an angle grinder (looked like 9")
with a large flat disc with a pad on it which was specifically to
remove paint without damaging the face of bricks. Once the face has
gone you are screwed, a few wet winters will trash them quite quickly.

The material on the disk was arranged in a raised spiral pattern, I
suspect not too different to a 3M Clean n Strip disc - but much harder
because they wear down very quickly when removing even small paint
spots from brickwork.

I took mine off a rendered surface with paint stripper (generic brand
from a trade outlet rather than the Nitromors). Took about 15 litres
IIRC. Piece of cake if the wall is flat. Forget it otherwise.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

js.b1 wrote:
A pressure washer can be fitted with a sand blaster attachment. That
may be too severe, or at least risks brick face damage.

However I'm sure Tommy Walsh had an angle grinder (looked like 9")
with a large flat disc with a pad on it which was specifically to
remove paint without damaging the face of bricks. Once the face has
gone you are screwed, a few wet winters will trash them quite quickly.

The material on the disk was arranged in a raised spiral pattern, I
suspect not too different to a 3M Clean n Strip disc - but much harder
because they wear down very quickly when removing even small paint
spots from brickwork.

They're stones, not bricks.

Having it professionally blasted would be ideal but as you can imagine this
is going to be expensive.
manually with a wire brush is going to take forever.
Which leaves mechanically, and doing it with a needle gun wouldn't work
neither IME as I think the needles would just compress spots of paint into
the stone.

http://www.brandontoolhire.co.uk/dir...p?idproduct=74

Is a grit blaster /pressure washer and can be had for about £50 a week,
although I'd be a bit wary of water ingress, especially if it requires
repointing in places

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 14:18:08 +0100, "Dave Liquorice"
wibbled:

Need to repaint the outside of the house, the old masonary paint is
flaking off, though some bits are still sound. Manually scraping or
wire brushing two windowless, 8m wide, two storey gable ends and
another 10m wall doesn't appeal...

I'm thinking that a compressed air driven needle gun is the way to go
but not sure how vicious (or not) such a device is. The substrate is
stone and the pointing may well need looking at and chasing out in
places before repainting.

So is the needle gun a good idea or is there something better out
there?

Would a pressure washer work?

Even a big bugger would only take the flakey stuff off.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 18:31:18 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wibbled:

Tim Watts wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 14:18:08 +0100, "Dave Liquorice"
wibbled:

Need to repaint the outside of the house, the old masonary paint is
flaking off, though some bits are still sound. Manually scraping or
wire brushing two windowless, 8m wide, two storey gable ends and
another 10m wall doesn't appeal...

I'm thinking that a compressed air driven needle gun is the way to go
but not sure how vicious (or not) such a device is. The substrate is
stone and the pointing may well need looking at and chasing out in
places before repainting.

So is the needle gun a good idea or is there something better out
there?

Would a pressure washer work?

Even a big bugger would only take the flakey stuff off.

Isn't that's all that's needed - he's repainting it?

As you're the man, can you get extra long lances on the for-hire big
machines for this sort of job?

I live in an old bolloxed house, but at least the walls aren't rendered
or painted - I think that's one job I'd hate more than anything...

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
Need to repaint the outside of the house, the old masonary paint is
flaking off, though some bits are still sound. Manually scraping or
wire brushing two windowless, 8m wide, two storey gable ends and
another 10m wall doesn't appeal...

I'm thinking that a compressed air driven needle gun is the way to go
but not sure how vicious (or not) such a device is. The substrate is
stone and the pointing may well need looking at and chasing out in
places before repainting.

So is the needle gun a good idea or is there something better out
there?

--
Cheers
Dave.

I've used a needle gun on mine, but of course it doesn't do a very big area.
Good for getting off the stuff that's a bit flakey but won't actually fall
off. To my mind, if the gun won't take it off you can paint over it. It's
also not bad for digging into some of the irregular pointing on my random
stone, if that's what you have. I'm repointing with lime mortar and painting
with home made lime wash.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 14:18:08 +0100, "Dave Liquorice"
wibbled:

Need to repaint the outside of the house, the old masonary paint is
flaking off, though some bits are still sound. Manually scraping or
wire brushing two windowless, 8m wide, two storey gable ends and
another 10m wall doesn't appeal...

I'm thinking that a compressed air driven needle gun is the way to go
but not sure how vicious (or not) such a device is. The substrate is
stone and the pointing may well need looking at and chasing out in
places before repainting.

So is the needle gun a good idea or is there something better out
there?
Would a pressure washer work?

Even a big bugger would only take the flakey stuff off.

Isn't that's all that's needed - he's repainting it?

I'd say so - I originally bought my pressure washer for exactly this
purpose (crappy masonry old paint over crappy older pebbledash). TBH
the pressure washer was too powerful in that it tended to bring off the
render too... cearly that's shot and ideally wants redoing; however
pressure wash/stabiliser/Sandtex treatment worked miracles.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Fixed lances go to about 2m. You can get telescopic lances up to 7.2m
http://www.gandspenrith.co.uk/produc...&productid=102

They do take a bit of hanging on to :-)

Doubt if many hire shops would have them though.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:45:37 +0000 (UTC), Tim Watts wrote:

Would a pressure washer work?

Even a big bugger would only take the flakey stuff off.

Isn't that's all that's needed - he's repainting it?

I'd like to get as much of the old layers of paint of as possible so
I can clean/stabilise the stone, repoint as required and apply a
modern breathable paint. By "old" I would guesstimate at 20 or 30
years and it's those old layers that are failing.

As you're the man, can you get extra long lances on the for-hire big
machines for this sort of job?

There is fair bit of kick from a normal short lance ona domestic
washer let along a BFO one with a long lance. You wouldn't be able to
see what you are doing either.

I live in an old bolloxed house, but at least the walls aren't rendered
or painted - I think that's one job I'd hate more than anything...

Render I hate, I always feel it's there to cover up a problem with
the wall. Last winter a great slab of it fell off one wall, base coat
is pretty soft with a hard thin layer. Who ever put it on didn't
remove the existing paint, that paint has now failed thus the render
has fallen off... I shall probably remove all that render as the rest
of the wall is bound to go the same way.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:05:19 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

I took mine off a rendered surface with paint stripper

snip
Piece of cake if the wall is flat. Forget it otherwise.

Mixture of pebble dash, render but with a coarse sand surface and
random stone. Definately not flat and SWMBO'd would object to nasty
chemicals getting anywhere near the borders...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:49:53 +0100, "Dave Liquorice"
wibbled:

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:45:37 +0000 (UTC), Tim Watts wrote:

Would a pressure washer work?

Even a big bugger would only take the flakey stuff off.

Isn't that's all that's needed - he's repainting it?

I'd like to get as much of the old layers of paint of as possible so I
can clean/stabilise the stone, repoint as required and apply a modern
breathable paint. By "old" I would guesstimate at 20 or 30 years and
it's those old layers that are failing.

Fair enough - I would want to do the same now I understand what you have.

How about paint stripper then pressure washing?

As you're the man, can you get extra long lances on the for-hire big
machines for this sort of job?

There is fair bit of kick from a normal short lance ona domestic washer
let along a BFO one with a long lance. You wouldn't be able to see what
you are doing either.

I was just thinking hanging off a ladder with a pressure washer lance
with crap flying everywhere might be a bit dicey - or do you have a tower/
scaffold?

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 18:01:53 +0100, Phil L wrote:

Which leaves mechanically, and doing it with a needle gun wouldn't work
neither IME as I think the needles would just compress spots of paint
into the stone.

If used straight on I can see that being a possibilty but when used
at an angle and the needles worn into lots of little chisels?

http://www.brandontoolhire.co.uk/dir...p?idproduct=74

Is a grit blaster /pressure washer and can be had for about £50 a week,

Interesting, thanks for the link. I think you'd need to add the hire
of a suitable PW onto that £50/week though. As there is quite a bit
of "growth" behind the flaky paint a good wash down of the wall is
something that will have to happen anyway.

although I'd be a bit wary of water ingress, especially if it requires
repointing in places

Ha, we get proper wet up here driven by storm force winds... not
quite the same as a PW but a lot more than most buildings get exposed
to.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

PS - something else I thought of - *against* the idea of using a
pressure washer: when I did our house, the entire garden (probably the
neighbours' too) was filled with flakes of white. It went everywhere,
all over the flowerbeds too, and probably took about a year or two until
all traces had finally disappeared. *She* was not a happy bunny.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:05:19 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

I took mine off a rendered surface with paint stripper

snip
Piece of cake if the wall is flat. Forget it otherwise.

Mixture of pebble dash, render but with a coarse sand surface and
random stone. Definately not flat and SWMBO'd would object to nasty
chemicals getting anywhere near the borders...

Mmm. try a pressure washer straight then.

Of possibly industrial grade

It will certainly rip loose flakes off, and general crud.

You make need to get close in with a domestic sort. Will take a long time.

If the surface is that rough anyway, you really don't care about a
smooth finish: just removing the flaky is all you want.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 14:18:08 +0100, "Dave Liquorice"
wibbled:

Need to repaint the outside of the house, the old masonary paint is
flaking off, though some bits are still sound. Manually scraping or
wire brushing two windowless, 8m wide, two storey gable ends and
another 10m wall doesn't appeal...

I'm thinking that a compressed air driven needle gun is the way to go
but not sure how vicious (or not) such a device is. The substrate is
stone and the pointing may well need looking at and chasing out in
places before repainting.

So is the needle gun a good idea or is there something better out
there?

Would a pressure washer work?

Even a big bugger would only take the flakey stuff off.

But that is really all that is needed.
Te issue is to remove stuff that would likely fall off anyway, then the
new pain will fill all the gaps that are left.

In essence all you want to do is hit the paint harder than the wind and
weather will in the future. Pressure washer is perfect for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

No, sometimes its part of the intended structure of the house.

Last winter a great slab of it fell off one wall, base coat
is pretty soft with a hard thin layer. Who ever put it on didn't
remove the existing paint, that paint has now failed thus the render
has fallen off... I shall probably remove all that render as the rest
of the wall is bound to go the same way.

Ah well, mine is all laid over metal lathe, and painted to the hilt. Lovely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:05:19 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

I took mine off a rendered surface with paint stripper

snip
Piece of cake if the wall is flat. Forget it otherwise.

Mixture of pebble dash, render but with a coarse sand surface and
random stone. Definately not flat and SWMBO'd would object to nasty
chemicals getting anywhere near the borders...

Mmm. try a pressure washer straight then.

Of possibly industrial grade

It will certainly rip loose flakes off, and general crud.

You make need to get close in with a domestic sort. Will take a long time.

Which will be as nothing compared to the time the painting is going to
take. Painting fresh pebbledash/Tyrolean render is one of the most
tedious jobs I've ever had to do.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
js.b1 wrote:
[...]

Least of your problems. These things use **** loads of sand but only have a
cleaning area of about 10mm wide. And the carbide nozzles wear at a
phenominal rate.

As a guestimate, doing the front of an average house would take 2-3 tonnes
of sand (which you then have to get rid of) and take weeks. Carbide nozzle
will last around 3 hours @ £15 a pop.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 00:38:13 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Least of your problems. These things use **** loads of sand but only
have a cleaning area of about 10mm wide. And the carbide nozzles wear
at a phenominal rate.

As a guestimate, doing the front of an average house would take 2-3
tonnes of sand (which you then have to get rid of) and take weeks.
Carbide nozzle will last around 3 hours @ £15 a pop.

The link posted was to a wet blaster not dry. I can see that a dry
blaster would use a lot of sand and needs BOFO compressor (trawling
about the web yesterday I found a dry blaster, 72CFM @ 100psi...).

As I see it a wet blaster is just a pressure washer with some
abrasive in the water flow. The picture in the link shows a normal PW
lance with the grit attachment on the front. Nozzle wear could still
be a problem though. I shall have to ask some questions before going
that way. We have plenty of space to lose a tonne or two of grit
though, just have to shift it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:36:04 +0100, Lobster wrote:

PS - something else I thought of - *against* the idea of using a
pressure washer: when I did our house, the entire garden (probably the
neighbours' too) was filled with flakes of white. It went everywhere,
all over the flowerbeds too, and probably took about a year or two until
all traces had finally disappeared. *She* was not a happy bunny.

That thought had already occured to me, which was on of the plus
points for the needle gun. Going to get scaffolding for access so a
tarp can be put on the outside/around the work area to contain the
worst of a PW kick back, well in theory.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 19:34:11 +0100, newshound wrote:

I've used a needle gun on mine, but of course it doesn't do a very big
area.

Ah the voice of experience. B-) A PW jet doesn't do a very big area
either.

To my mind, if the gun won't take it off you can paint over it.

That would be my sort of thinking as well. The mechanical whacking
acation aspect being one up on the PW. How long did it take to clean
down say 1 sq m of fairly loose paint?

I'm repointing with lime mortar and painting with home made lime wash.

I know one ought to use lime mortar/lime wash on a random stone but
we are *very* exposed and the existing pointing is cement based. In
the interests of not having to paint/patch repoint every few years I
don't think lime mortar and lime wash are up to it over cement mortar
and a modern breathable paint.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Serious stuff!
I'd at least do a small trial with paint stripper before embarking on
something that drastic. In my case it lifted the paint layers from the
masonry quite neatly. Even on an irregular surface, and left to dry, it
may well flake sufficiently to make it easier to remove.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

If you're using portland cement and stone then its non porous so why
have a breathable paint?

One reason for lime mortar is that it's softer than stone,
so if the building settles then the pointing gives way, rather than the
stone cracking.

It may be a good idea to use a softer sand with portland cement.
so that it will give rather than the stone crack.

perhaps

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 12:10:06 +0100, george [dicegeorge] wrote:

If you're using portland cement and stone then its non porous so why
have a breathable paint?

The stone is sandstone not granite, so is a little porous. Over time
water will get bhind the paint layer I'd rather it had some chance of
getting out rather than sitting there and either making it's way
inside or freezing damaging the stone or paint layer. We had some
quite long periods (weeks) of consecuative "ice days" last winter.
Days when the air temp didn't get above freezing and overnight mins
of -10C.

One reason for lime mortar is that it's softer than stone, so if the
building settles then the pointing gives way, rather than the stone
cracking.

This building has probably first built about 300 years ago, don't
know if it has been rebuilt since. Apparently it was a delerict shell
30 or 40 years ago. It's not likely to be still settling, it's almost
certainly built directly onto the bedrock as well.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 June 2010 14:18:08 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Need to repaint the outside of the house, the old masonary paint is
flaking off, though some bits are still sound. Manually scraping or
wire brushing two windowless, 8m wide, two storey gable ends and
another 10m wall doesn't appeal...

I'm thinking that a compressed air driven needle gun is the way to go
but not sure how vicious (or not) such a device is. The substrate is
stone and the pointing may well need looking at and chasing out in
places before repainting.

So is the needle gun a good idea or is there something better out
there?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Hi Dave,
Don't know if you'll pick this up. This is spooky. With a name like that you could be same Dave Liquorice who came to fix my organ in Devon in 2014? If you are, Hi.
Anyway, I hope you succeeded with your masonry paint! Just for the record, I had a similar problem and used an electric needle gun I hired from Speedy tool hire. It worked well, but was slow and hard work.

Cheers
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 June 2010 14:18:08 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Need to repaint the outside of the house, the old masonary paint is
flaking off, though some bits are still sound. Manually scraping or
wire brushing two windowless, 8m wide, two storey gable ends and
another 10m wall doesn't appeal...

I'm thinking that a compressed air driven needle gun is the way to go
but not sure how vicious (or not) such a device is. The substrate is
stone and the pointing may well need looking at and chasing out in
places before repainting.

So is the needle gun a good idea or is there something better out
there?

Pressure wash to get rid of the loose stuff.
Paint over the rest of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

He does acknowledge its ancient, but it must be a hell of a server if it
goes all that way back.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andrew" wrote in message
On 09/04/2019 11:17,
wrote:
[...]

Don't worry, after almost 9 years I'm sure the original paint would have
flaked off by now, and even its replacement will probably be up for
renewal too.

Where are you getting this ancient post from ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

So now we all wonder what was wrong with his 'organ'

He kept playing with it and it fell off. He
was warned about that, but wouldn’t listen...

Adam has the same problem.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 03:58:26 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

So now we all wonder what was wrong with his 'organ'

He kept playing with it and it fell off. He
was warned about that, but wouldn¢t listen...

Adam has the same problem.

Spare everyone your pathetic attempts a "humour", senile Ozzietard!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 11:38:49 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Need to repaint the outside of the house, the old masonary paint

is
flaking off, though some bits are still sound. Manually scraping

or
wire brushing two windowless, 8m wide, two storey gable ends and
another 10m wall doesn't appeal...

Don't know if you'll pick this up. This is spooky. With a name

like
that you could be same Dave Liquorice who came to fix my organ in

Devon
in 2014?

Nope.

Anyway, I hope you succeeded with your masonry paint! Just for the

record, I had a similar problem and used an electric needle gun I

hired
from Speedy tool hire. It worked well, but was slow and hard

work.

Used a pressure washer.

Don't worry, after almost 9 years I'm sure the original paint would have
flaked off by now, and even its replacement will probably be up for
renewal too.

The replacement is still good, though not pristine due to lichen and
algae growth. The gable end that was previously rendered is a bit
iffy in places, I don't think I pressure washed that after removing
the render (which was almost totatly blown), that may have something
to do with it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2019 11:38, Andrew wrote:

Don't worry, after almost 9 years I'm sure the original paint would have
flaked off by now, and even its replacement will probably be up for
renewal too.

Where are you getting this ancient post from ?.

Maybe 9 years for op but I have a similar problem that I need to sort
when the weather gets a bit warmer. My property has probably 5+ layers
of masonry paint. 80% appears sound but with the other 20% some of the
top layers are flaking off leaving sound layers beneath and in some
areas the paint is no longer sticking to the bricks. The latter I think
is mainly where the brick surface was spalling prior to being painted
and are the odd bricks randomly scattered around the wall.

A question to those who have used a pressure washer: Was it used to get
all the paint off or just the loose paint?

My intention is to repaint with the same colour (white) after making
good any dodgy areas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2019 22:40, alan_m wrote:
[...]

I'm very interested in the answer to this too. My house is roughcast
rendered with nearly 80 years-worth of paint on it and in need of a
re-paint. Some of the paint is still well attached, but some isn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 22:40:17 +0100, alan_m wrote:

A question to those who have used a pressure washer: Was it used to get
all the paint off or just the loose paint?

Anything that that doesn't come off with the impact from a rotating
pencil jet of a pressure washer at 2" or less isn't going to come off
anytime soon. Beware that if the mortar is a bit iffy the pressure
washer will have that out as well...

It's very messy job, you'll get soaked and filthy from paint flakes
and anything else that detaches from the wall. Paint flakes will
travel considerable distance given a chance. I had proper scafolding
put up(*) which made access very easy and gave something to attach
tarpulins to behind the work area to contain the flying paint and
water. Also cover all the ground under the work area and at least a
couple of yards either side.

(*) Well worth the £2,000 or so it cost for 6+ weeks. That was for
full access to three two storey gable ends (3 levels) and 10 m of two
storey wall (2 levels).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 09/04/2019 11:38, Andrew wrote:

Don't worry, after almost 9 years I'm sure the original paint would have
flaked off by now, and even its replacement will probably be up for
renewal too.

Where are you getting this ancient post from ?.

Maybe 9 years for op but I have a similar problem that I need to sort
when the weather gets a bit warmer. My property has probably 5+ layers
of masonry paint. 80% appears sound but with the other 20% some of the
top layers are flaking off leaving sound layers beneath and in some
areas the paint is no longer sticking to the bricks. The latter I think
is mainly where the brick surface was spalling prior to being painted
and are the odd bricks randomly scattered around the wall.

A question to those who have used a pressure washer: Was it used to get
all the paint off or just the loose paint?

In my case, just the loose stuff. Walls still looking good 15 years later.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Kingfisher masonary paint GordyH UK diy 1 May 25th 10 11:23 AM
Stripping PVA and masonary paint for exterior wall? deano UK diy 8 November 8th 09 09:32 AM
Paint removal Arthur2 UK diy 7 June 28th 07 03:07 PM
Exterior Masonary Paint...What to add to change Colour? Cal Mac UK diy 14 January 2nd 07 03:06 PM
Masonary paint John Rumm UK diy 6 July 6th 04 12:43 PM