Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paint removal

Hi all.
I've been scraping paint from the stairs last 2 days.
Started with bartoline and then changed to heat gun.
The inner most layer is a stain and varnish..it seems.
Been encountering a lot of tarry residue...sticking to the scraper..pain in
the a***

Any tips?

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:02:48 +0100, "Arthur2"
mused:

Hi all.
I've been scraping paint from the stairs last 2 days.
Started with bartoline and then changed to heat gun.
The inner most layer is a stain and varnish..it seems.
Been encountering a lot of tarry residue...sticking to the scraper..pain in
the a***

Any tips?

GSI.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur2 wrote:
Hi all.
I've been scraping paint from the stairs last 2 days.
Started with bartoline and then changed to heat gun.
The inner most layer is a stain and varnish..it seems.
Been encountering a lot of tarry residue...sticking to the
scraper..pain in the a***

Any tips?

Thanks.

Arthur

Hire time machine, go back 2 days, and never start this most horrible of
jobs.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 23:05:27 +0100, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:

Arthur2 wrote:
Hi all.
I've been scraping paint from the stairs last 2 days.
Started with bartoline and then changed to heat gun.
The inner most layer is a stain and varnish..it seems.
Been encountering a lot of tarry residue...sticking to the
scraper..pain in the a***

Any tips?

Thanks.

Arthur

Hire time machine, go back 2 days, and never start this most horrible of
jobs.

It will look lovely when you have finished, but you will never do it
again

There speaks the voice of experience

Anna
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Jun, 21:02, "Arthur2" wrote:
Hi all.
I've been scraping paint from the stairs last 2 days.
Started with bartoline and then changed to heat gun.
The inner most layer is a stain and varnish..it seems.
Been encountering a lot of tarry residue...sticking to the scraper..pain in
the a***

Any tips?

Thanks.

Arthur

You can't do some varnishes with a hot air gun - it cooks and just
goes as you describe; a tarry sticky residue. I'd go as far as you can
with hot air and paint, and then do Nitromors for the varnish. What's
really handy with nitromors is to have a supply of sawdust or
shavings. With rubber (synthetic) gloves you can rub handfuls of
shavings like a pan scrubber and it soaks up the nitromors in the
process. Or scatter sawdust, brush it in and sweep it all up nice and
dry.

cheers
Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Arthur2 wrote:
Hi all.
I've been scraping paint from the stairs last 2 days.
Started with bartoline and then changed to heat gun.
The inner most layer is a stain and varnish..it seems.
Been encountering a lot of tarry residue...sticking to the
scraper..pain in the a***

Any tips?

Thanks.

Arthur

Hire time machine, go back 2 days, and never start this most horrible of
jobs.

It will look lovely when you have finished, but you will never do it
again

I doubt it. To me it usually looks like someone has taken 99% off and
then given up. It may look nice if you dismantle everything and send it
off to the strippers.

There speaks the voice of experience

Anna

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Anna wrote:

It will look lovely when you have finished, but you will never do it
again

I doubt it. To me it usually looks like someone has taken 99% off and
then given up. It may look nice if you dismantle everything and send
it off to the strippers.

Yup, or just buy new and replace the lot.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
... To me it usually looks like someone has taken 99% off and
then given up. It may look nice if you dismantle everything and send
it off to the strippers.

Yup, or just buy new and replace the lot.

Or have a good fire and get a new one on the insurance.

Owain

But mine are Victorian Douglas Fir and look pretty stunning, even if I
say so myself.