DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Paint removal (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/204957-paint-removal.html)

Arthur2 June 27th 07 09:02 PM

Paint removal

Hi all.
I've been scraping paint from the stairs last 2 days.
Started with bartoline and then changed to heat gun.
The inner most layer is a stain and varnish..it seems.
Been encountering a lot of tarry residue...sticking to the scraper..pain in
the a***

Any tips?

Thanks.

Arthur

Lurch June 27th 07 09:34 PM

Paint removal

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:02:48 +0100, "Arthur2"
mused:

Hi all.
I've been scraping paint from the stairs last 2 days.
Started with bartoline and then changed to heat gun.
The inner most layer is a stain and varnish..it seems.
Been encountering a lot of tarry residue...sticking to the scraper..pain in
the a***

Any tips?

GSI.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot June 27th 07 11:05 PM

Paint removal

Arthur2 wrote:
Hi all.
I've been scraping paint from the stairs last 2 days.
Started with bartoline and then changed to heat gun.
The inner most layer is a stain and varnish..it seems.
Been encountering a lot of tarry residue...sticking to the
scraper..pain in the a***

Any tips?

Thanks.

Arthur

Hire time machine, go back 2 days, and never start this most horrible of
jobs.

Si

Anna June 28th 07 08:56 AM

Paint removal

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 23:05:27 +0100, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:

Arthur2 wrote:
Hi all.
I've been scraping paint from the stairs last 2 days.
Started with bartoline and then changed to heat gun.
The inner most layer is a stain and varnish..it seems.
Been encountering a lot of tarry residue...sticking to the
scraper..pain in the a***

Any tips?

Thanks.

Arthur

Hire time machine, go back 2 days, and never start this most horrible of
jobs.

It will look lovely when you have finished, but you will never do it
again

There speaks the voice of experience

Anna

normanwisdom June 28th 07 11:31 AM

Paint removal

On 27 Jun, 21:02, "Arthur2" wrote:
Hi all.
I've been scraping paint from the stairs last 2 days.
Started with bartoline and then changed to heat gun.
The inner most layer is a stain and varnish..it seems.
Been encountering a lot of tarry residue...sticking to the scraper..pain in
the a***

Any tips?

Thanks.

Arthur

You can't do some varnishes with a hot air gun - it cooks and just
goes as you describe; a tarry sticky residue. I'd go as far as you can
with hot air and paint, and then do Nitromors for the varnish. What's
really handy with nitromors is to have a supply of sawdust or
shavings. With rubber (synthetic) gloves you can rub handfuls of
shavings like a pan scrubber and it soaks up the nitromors in the
process. Or scatter sawdust, brush it in and sweep it all up nice and
dry.

cheers
Jacob

Stuart Noble June 28th 07 11:33 AM

Paint removal

wrote:

Arthur2 wrote:
Hi all.
I've been scraping paint from the stairs last 2 days.
Started with bartoline and then changed to heat gun.
The inner most layer is a stain and varnish..it seems.
Been encountering a lot of tarry residue...sticking to the
scraper..pain in the a***

Any tips?

Thanks.

Arthur

Hire time machine, go back 2 days, and never start this most horrible of
jobs.

It will look lovely when you have finished, but you will never do it
again

I doubt it. To me it usually looks like someone has taken 99% off and
then given up. It may look nice if you dismantle everything and send it
off to the strippers.

Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot June 28th 07 01:43 PM

Paint removal

Stuart Noble wrote:
Anna wrote:

It will look lovely when you have finished, but you will never do it
again

I doubt it. To me it usually looks like someone has taken 99% off and
then given up. It may look nice if you dismantle everything and send
it off to the strippers.

Yup, or just buy new and replace the lot.

Si

Stuart Noble June 28th 07 03:07 PM

Paint removal

Stuart Noble wrote:
... To me it usually looks like someone has taken 99% off and
then given up. It may look nice if you dismantle everything and send
it off to the strippers.

Yup, or just buy new and replace the lot.

Or have a good fire and get a new one on the insurance.

Owain

But mine are Victorian Douglas Fir and look pretty stunning, even if I
say so myself.