Bob K 207

Default Oil based paint removal

Subject: Oil based paint removal
From: rballum
Date: 12/12/2004 8:48 A.M. Pacific Standard Time

Does anyone know how to remove oil based paint from a metal exterior
door? Several years ago I painted my exterior metal door with oil based
paint. It has been flaking off and looks terrible. I would appreciate
any advice.
Thanks
rballum

--
rballum
rballum's Profile:

How much detail does the door have?
Do you want to remove all of it down to bare steel & re-prime & paint? or just
the loose stuff/

possible methods depending of the door & your desires:
paint scraper
paint remover
cupped wire wheal in 4" or 9" angle grinder
master heat gun; soften & scrape

if it was a smooth door going down to bare metal I'd go after it with a cupped
wire wheel on my 9" grinder. Just a few areas; 4" grinder. Detailed door; my
Master heat gun & assorted scraping tool.

Painting is easy, it's the prep that's hard.

cheers
Bob

effi

how you originally painted it (quality of paint, preparation of metal, etc.)
and what kind of weather you want it to withstand will help dictate what to
do to minimize future problems

if you did not prepare the metal before painting it originally, stripping it
to bare metal will help the new primer and/or paint stick better...also you
mention it's been years since you painted it so taking it down to bare metal
sounds like it might be a wise choice anyway

new oxidation starts immediately on bare metal,,,even though it may not have
looked "rusted", if you didn't take it back down to bare metal before
painting you could have painted over oxidation, resulting in poor adhesion
of the paint to the metal

getting the fisrt coat on of whatever, primer or paint, is critical
immediately with bare metal

some prefer a primer on metal, primers supposedly having better protection
and adhesion qualities to bare metal than most paints, and thus supposedly
help the paint stick better

another post here touches on methods for removal of existing paint from the
metal

"rballum" wrote in message

Does anyone know how to remove oil based paint from a metal exterior
door? Several years ago I painted my exterior metal door with oil based
paint. It has been flaking off and looks terrible. I would appreciate
any advice.
Thanks
rballum

--
rballum
rballum's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=16
View this thread:
http://homerepairforums.org/forums/s...ad.php?t=11485
This post was submitted via http://www.HomeRepairForums.org

effi

also, if the door was originally painted by the manufacturer before you
painted it with oil base, the manufacturer should have gotten a good first
coat on it so only remediating the bad areas might work...check to see if
the manufacturers paint interacts negatively with the oil base paint you
added; if so, you might wanna remove all the oil base paint (and oxidation)
at a minimum before repainting

"rballum" wrote in message

Does anyone know how to remove oil based paint from a metal exterior
door? Several years ago I painted my exterior metal door with oil based
paint. It has been flaking off and looks terrible. I would appreciate
any advice.
Thanks
rballum

--
rballum
rballum's Profile:
http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=16
View this thread:
http://homerepairforums.org/forums/s...ad.php?t=11485
This post was submitted via http://www.HomeRepairForums.org

Without seeing the door my suggestion is sand off the old paint.
Should not be too bad. Use a drill attachment with adhesive backed
paper. If you live somepalce where it isn't cold in December, than
chemicals could be used to get rid of some of the old paint.