Bob K 207

Default Oil based paint removal

Subject: Oil based paint removal
From: rballum
Date: 12/12/2004 8:48 A.M. Pacific Standard Time

Does anyone know how to remove oil based paint from a metal exterior
door? Several years ago I painted my exterior metal door with oil based
paint. It has been flaking off and looks terrible. I would appreciate
any advice.
Thanks
rballum

--
rballum
rballum's Profile:

How much detail does the door have?
Do you want to remove all of it down to bare steel & re-prime & paint? or just
the loose stuff/

possible methods depending of the door & your desires:
paint scraper
paint remover
cupped wire wheal in 4" or 9" angle grinder
master heat gun; soften & scrape

if it was a smooth door going down to bare metal I'd go after it with a cupped
wire wheel on my 9" grinder. Just a few areas; 4" grinder. Detailed door; my
Master heat gun & assorted scraping tool.

Painting is easy, it's the prep that's hard.

cheers
Bob