Robert11

Default Paint removal from Concrete ?

Hello:

Have a house that has a fair amount of paint splatter on to the
concrete (the vertical part) of the foundation that the house "sits on".

Guess one of the previous owners was really sloppy when he painted.

Have no idea if it is latex or oil paint.

a. Was wondering if there is a product that you folks who are experts on
this type of problem
might recommend that I should try to remove it ?

Guess one of the other requirements is that, assuming it's possible, the
removal product
wouldn't hopefully stain or discolor the concrete.

b. Would a pressure washer be worth trying, or do the concrete pores grip
the paint so strongly that this would likely be worthless ?

If worth trying, would I load up the washer with water, or try the product,
or a different one, that
might be recommended in (a) ?

Thanks,
B.

Travis Jordan

Robert11 wrote:
Have a house that has a fair amount of paint splatter on to the
concrete (the vertical part) of the foundation that the house "sits
on".

Brush on a heavy coat of gel-type paint stripper, let sit 30 minutes,
follow up with pressure washer. Repeat if necessary.

I used a wire brush angle grinder attachment.

PhotoMan

"Robert11" wrote in message

If worth trying, would I load up the washer with water, or try the

product,

I'll let others handle the other questions, but it's a bad idea to use any
additives with the water supply to the washer. Most washer makers advise
against doing so because of possible damage to the pump.

Norminn

Robert11 wrote:
[...]

We have had various disasters in our condo, which has an atrium with
concrete decks. Some paint spills were not touched by either water
based or solvent based paint remover. Some drips, which had not beem
smeared, lifted off nicely with water based stripper. When a neighbor
stained wood furniture sans dropcloth, there were big blobs of dark
brown stain, which I camouflaged with acrylic craft paint. I put it on
using three colors, very light appl., using a stencil brush. We had
also pressure washed the areas a while before, in prep for putting on a
sealer to prevent water penetration on second floor, and the pw did not
seem to touch the paint or greasy stains, nor did muriatic acid.

the Truth Squad

Jabsco (?) Paint Remover...It's a gel, but would be very labor
intensive...be sure to wear gloves...

Steve Manes

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:25:10 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

a. Was wondering if there is a product that you folks who are experts on
this type of problem might recommend that I should try to remove it ?

Try a 3000psi pressure washer first. Use the fan tip and take your
time to avoid pitting the concrete. If that fails, use a long-dwell
stripper for masonry, like Peel-Away. They make one for stone and
brick. Then use the pressure washer again. It may take multiple
applications but it'll work.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house/bbs