Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stripping PVA and masonary paint for exterior wall?

Here's the lowdown...

I rendered my garden wall to a smooth finish, then PVA'd it, then
painted it with Leyland exterior masonary paint.
The big mistake was PVAing it! Not allowing the wall to breathe
through the paint layer and dry out after a wet spell.
The result... large clusters of bubbling as parts of the PVA coating
has laminated away from the render.
The problem... getting the whole wall stripped, including areas where
bubbling hasn't occurred and the paint layer is
stuck fast to the render... I have tried scraping and sanding and even
a blowtorch! Next step jet wash?

I'm worried that if I don't get it all off it will continue to
blister, even when I've repainted!

Any suggestions to me getting this all off? Some kind of PVA eating
solvent?

Many thanks,
dean.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
deano writes:
Here's the lowdown...

I rendered my garden wall to a smooth finish, then PVA'd it, then
painted it with Leyland exterior masonary paint.
The big mistake was PVAing it! Not allowing the wall to breathe
through the paint layer and dry out after a wet spell.
The result... large clusters of bubbling as parts of the PVA coating
has laminated away from the render.
The problem... getting the whole wall stripped, including areas where
bubbling hasn't occurred and the paint layer is
stuck fast to the render... I have tried scraping and sanding and even
a blowtorch! Next step jet wash?

I'm worried that if I don't get it all off it will continue to
blister, even when I've repainted!

Any suggestions to me getting this all off? Some kind of PVA eating
solvent?

Ordinary PVA softens with long exposure to water.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wallpaper steam stripper?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Oct, 09:15, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* * * writes:

[...]

sorry been away...
So does a jet washer sound like a viable method?
I can't otherwise see how I could soak the wall.
Maybe connect my jet washer up to the hot water tap and the rear of my
house (use this for washing the dog!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Nov, 18:45, Rednadnerb wrote:
Wallpaper steam stripper?

Yeah, you'd think it would, but I tried and it didn't...
thanks for the suggestion though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

writes:

[...]

Pressure washer should strip. Use high power close. It will take ages.
Or get a grit blasting company to strip it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

,

[...]

Or see the current "bitumastic paint on brick" thread
Posted to uk.d-i-y

* * * writes:

[...]

That's a great link... http://www.stripperspaintremovers.com/index.htm
I've contacted them to see what they have in the stripper department.
Thanks.

I know it will take ages for the jet washer to do the job, I will
however consult
a friend who does sandblasting and compare his price against that of
buying the
stripper and doing the graft.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

writes:
[...]

IME the graft isn't too bad, you just need a *lot* of stripper