Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Stripping PVA and masonary paint for exterior wall?

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
deano wrote:
On 31 Oct, 09:15, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article
,
writes:

Here's the lowdown...
I rendered my garden wall to a smooth finish, then PVA'd it, then
painted it with Leyland exterior masonary paint.
The big mistake was PVAing it! Not allowing the wall to breathe
through the paint layer and dry out after a wet spell.
The result... large clusters of bubbling as parts of the PVA coating
has laminated away from the render.
The problem... getting the whole wall stripped, including areas where
bubbling hasn't occurred and the paint layer is
stuck fast to the render... I have tried scraping and sanding and even
a blowtorch! Next step jet wash?
I'm worried that if I don't get it all off it will continue to
blister, even when I've repainted!
Any suggestions to me getting this all off? Some kind of PVA eating
solvent?
Ordinary PVA softens with long exposure to water.

--
Andrew Gabriel

sorry been away...
So does a jet washer sound like a viable method?
I can't otherwise see how I could soak the wall.
Maybe connect my jet washer up to the hot water tap and the rear of my
house (use this for washing the dog!)

Pressure washer should strip. Use high power close. It will take ages.
Or get a grit blasting company to strip it.

Or see the current "bitumastic paint on brick" thread