Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Masonary Paint Removal

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:49:53 +0100, "Dave Liquorice"
wibbled:

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:45:37 +0000 (UTC), Tim Watts wrote:

Would a pressure washer work?

Even a big bugger would only take the flakey stuff off.

Isn't that's all that's needed - he's repainting it?

I'd like to get as much of the old layers of paint of as possible so I
can clean/stabilise the stone, repoint as required and apply a modern
breathable paint. By "old" I would guesstimate at 20 or 30 years and
it's those old layers that are failing.

Fair enough - I would want to do the same now I understand what you have.

How about paint stripper then pressure washing?

As you're the man, can you get extra long lances on the for-hire big
machines for this sort of job?

There is fair bit of kick from a normal short lance ona domestic washer
let along a BFO one with a long lance. You wouldn't be able to see what
you are doing either.

I was just thinking hanging off a ladder with a pressure washer lance
with crap flying everywhere might be a bit dicey - or do you have a tower/
scaffold?

--
Tim Watts