Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any non-food use for olive oil?

Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't brilliant,
didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in favour of a
better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage, long way past the
use-by date, and it's got even worse with age - now smells rather like
oil based gloss paint. (I'm dubious about contamination from the plastic
bottles - only by it in glass bottles now.) Can anyone think of anything
useful to do with it which doesn't involve eating it (or smelling it)?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Feb, 14:38, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't brilliant,
didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in favour of a
better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage, long way past the
use-by date, and it's got even worse with age - now smells rather like
oil based gloss paint. (I'm dubious about contamination from the plastic
bottles - only by it in glass bottles now.) Can anyone think of anything
useful to do with it which doesn't involve eating it (or smelling it)?

What about hearing it ?
Does putting it in your ear count ;-?
They used to put warm oil in the ear to soften wax. In fact you had to
buy it from the chemist.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2/10/2010 9:38 AM, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't brilliant,
didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in favour of a
better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage, long way past the
use-by date, and it's got even worse with age - now smells rather like
oil based gloss paint. (I'm dubious about contamination from the plastic
bottles - only by it in glass bottles now.) Can anyone think of anything
useful to do with it which doesn't involve eating it (or smelling it)?

Rub into wooden fencing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2010 14:38, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't brilliant,
didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in favour of a
better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage, long way past the
use-by date, and it's got even worse with age - now smells rather like
oil based gloss paint. (I'm dubious about contamination from the plastic
bottles - only by it in glass bottles now.) Can anyone think of anything
useful to do with it which doesn't involve eating it (or smelling it)?

I use olive oil as recommended for lubricating the seal on our Thetford
caravan toilet. But that's no use unless you have one!

How about using it in an oil candle?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 14:38:01 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Can anyone think of anything useful to do with it which doesn't involve
eating it (or smelling it)?

Got a diesel? Fill up and pour it in. 2l diluted with a tank full of
dino diesel isn't going to knacker and seals or clog the filter with
released gunk. Might mix it into a dino diesel outside the car first
just to ensure that it doesn't do something silly and get it
dispersed.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Feb, 14:38, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't brilliant,
didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in favour of a
better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage, long way past the
use-by date, and it's got even worse with age - now smells rather like
oil based gloss paint. (I'm dubious about contamination from the plastic
bottles - only by it in glass bottles now.) Can anyone think of anything
useful to do with it which doesn't involve eating it (or smelling it)?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Maybe not ideal but my brother-in-law used olive oil on some squeaky
door hinges when a combination of being too drunk and too lazy to go
out to the garage to get something more suitable (kitchen cupboard was
nearer!). Seemed to work well enough at the time, although it was top
quality extra virgin olive oil!
I'm sure used in small quantities the smell won't be too noticeable
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gabriel) wrote:

Can anyone think of anything
useful to do with it which doesn't involve eating it (or smelling it)?

Make soap?

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't
brilliant, didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in
favour of a better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage, long
way past the use-by date, and it's got even worse with age - now
smells rather like oil based gloss paint. (I'm dubious about
contamination from the plastic bottles - only by it in glass bottles
now.) Can anyone think of anything useful to do with it which doesn't
involve eating it (or smelling it)?

Sell it to Steve Firth?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman wrote

Sell it to Steve Firth?

Now that it has matured, like a fine wine, he will not be able to afford
it. He would be better off buying quality virgin olive oil in glass
bottles from Aldi now that they've reduced the price even further (and
its recommended by Which?).
--
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't brilliant,
didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in favour of a
better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage, long way past the
use-by date, and it's got even worse with age - now smells rather like
oil based gloss paint. (I'm dubious about contamination from the plastic
bottles - only by it in glass bottles now.) Can anyone think of anything
useful to do with it which doesn't involve eating it (or smelling it)?

Years ago an American colleague told me he used to participate in Mazola
(corn oil) parties. It was a long time ago and my memory isn't what it
was, but I think there was something about rubber sheets and young
ladies...
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Can anyone think of anything
useful to do with it which doesn't involve eating it (or smelling it)?

Make soap?

Newsgroup arguments.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 10, 2:38*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't brilliant,
didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in favour of a
better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage, long way past the
use-by date, and it's got even worse with age - now smells rather like
oil based gloss paint. (I'm dubious about contamination from the plastic
bottles - only by it in glass bottles now.) Can anyone think of anything
useful to do with it which doesn't involve eating it (or smelling it)?

Its no use as a lubricant, it polymerises after a while to a very
sticky stiff gloop. Fine as a woodscrew lube.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 10, 8:38*am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't brilliant,
didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in favour of a
better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage, long way past the
use-by date, and it's got even worse with age - now smells rather like
oil based gloss paint. (I'm dubious about contamination from the plastic
bottles - only by it in glass bottles now.) Can anyone think of anything
useful to do with it which doesn't involve eating it (or smelling it)?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Its a food, it went bad because of age not the plastic, freezing it
would have kept it fine, all food oils will go bad, just as will many
whole grains go bad in a few months. Uses for rancid cooking oils? the
garbage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't brilliant,
didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in favour of a
better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage, long way past the
use-by date, and it's got even worse with age - now smells rather like
oil based gloss paint. (I'm dubious about contamination from the plastic
bottles - only by it in glass bottles now.) Can anyone think of anything
useful to do with it which doesn't involve eating it (or smelling it)?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Its a food, it went bad because of age not the plastic, freezing it
would have kept it fine, all food oils will go bad, just as will many
whole grains go bad in a few months. Uses for rancid cooking oils? the
garbage.

Chuck some caustic soda in and convert it to soap. Knight's Castille was
made that way I think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't brilliant,
didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in favour of a
better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage, long way past the
use-by date, and it's got even worse with age - now smells rather like
oil based gloss paint. (I'm dubious about contamination from the plastic
bottles - only by it in glass bottles now.) Can anyone think of anything
useful to do with it which doesn't involve eating it (or smelling it)?

put a cupful into every tank of diesel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-02-10 14:40:42 +0000, sm_jamieson said:

On 10 Feb, 14:38, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't brilliant,
didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in favour of a
better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage, long way past the
use-by date, and it's got even worse with age - now smells rather like
oil based gloss paint. (I'm dubious about contamination from the plastic
bottles - only by it in glass bottles now.) Can anyone think of anything
useful to do with it which doesn't involve eating it (or smelling it)?

What about hearing it ?
Does putting it in your ear count ;-?
They used to put warm oil in the ear to soften wax. In fact you had to
buy it from the chemist.
Simon.

I wouldn't put dodgy smelling old olive oil in my ear, but I have put
nice fresh olive oil in there when I needed to clear out wax.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gabriel) wrote:
Can anyone think of anything
useful to do with it which doesn't involve eating it (or smelling it)?

Make soap?

Thomas Prufer

Make 'strong' smelling soap?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't
brilliant, didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in
favour of a better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage, long
way past the use-by date, and it's got even worse with age - now
smells rather like oil based gloss paint. (I'm dubious about
contamination from the plastic bottles - only by it in glass bottles
now.) Can anyone think of anything useful to do with it which doesn't
involve eating it (or smelling it)?

stick it in you're ear

--
---
zaax
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Twydell" wrote in message
In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't brilliant,
didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in favour of a
better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage, long way past the
use-by date, and it's got even worse with age - now smells rather like
oil based gloss paint. (I'm dubious about contamination from the plastic
bottles - only by it in glass bottles now.) Can anyone think of anything
useful to do with it which doesn't involve eating it (or smelling it)?

Years ago an American colleague told me he used to participate in Mazola
(corn oil) parties. It was a long time ago and my memory isn't what it
was, but I think there was something about rubber sheets and young
ladies...
--
Peter

But the OPs olive oil now smells like gloss paint.

I prefer AstroGlide for my orgies not Dulux.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
On 10 Feb, 14:38, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't brilliant,
didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in favour of a
better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage, long way past the
use-by date, and it's got even worse with age - now smells rather like
oil based gloss paint. (I'm dubious about contamination from the plastic
bottles - only by it in glass bottles now.) Can anyone think of anything
useful to do with it which doesn't involve eating it (or smelling it)?

What about hearing it ?
Does putting it in your ear count ;-?
They used to put warm oil in the ear to soften wax. In fact you had to
buy it from the chemist.

Yep

Olive Oil was available for this purpose long before the foodies discovered
that we should use it in food

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 19:53:58 +0000, Piers Finlayson wrote:
I wouldn't put dodgy smelling old olive oil in my ear, but I have put
nice fresh olive oil in there when I needed to clear out wax.

Isn't this another one of those situations where the new preferred tool of
2010, the pressure washer, comes in handy?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:26:16 -0600, Jules
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 19:53:58 +0000, Piers Finlayson wrote:
I wouldn't put dodgy smelling old olive oil in my ear, but I have put
nice fresh olive oil in there when I needed to clear out wax.

Isn't this another one of those situations where the new preferred tool of
2010, the pressure washer, comes in handy?

Nah - it's the job of WD-40 followed by the angle grinder. After all,
WD-40 was designed specifically for this purpose. "WD" stands for Wax
Dissolver.

You can then repair the eardrum with a mixture of car body filler,
self-levelling compound and dilute PVA.

None of this new-fangled stuff for me, TYVM.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:06:48 -0000, "tim...."
wrote:

[...]

Indeed. My almost-95-year-old mum was curious why I had a stock of
olive oil in the house. She thought I must've bought it at the
chemist shop for medicinal purposes.
Actually I don't use a lot of olive oil per se - mainly a drop or two
when cooking pasta (either dry or fresh). I tend to use more
sunflower oil, "stir-fry" oil, sesame oil and groundnut oil for my
various culinary experiments (sunflower for my lubbly fried eggs in
the morning, the accompanying chestnut mushrooms sauteed in butter).

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 12:33:40 -0800 (PST), terry
wrote:

Make 'strong' smelling soap?

I like that: If it smells 'strong', you just know it'll clean well!

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine :
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 19:53:58 +0000, Piers Finlayson wrote:
I wouldn't put dodgy smelling old olive oil in my ear, but I have put
nice fresh olive oil in there when I needed to clear out wax.

Isn't this another one of those situations where the new preferred tool of
2010, the pressure washer, comes in handy?

Nah - it's the job of WD-40 followed by the angle grinder.

You can use the oil to lubricate the angle grinder.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't brilliant,
didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in favour of a
better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage, long way past the
use-by date, and it's got even worse with age - now smells rather like
oil based gloss paint. (I'm dubious about contamination from the plastic
bottles - only by it in glass bottles now.) Can anyone think of anything
useful to do with it which doesn't involve eating it (or smelling it)?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Use it in an oil lamp for emergency lighting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Benn" wrote in message
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't

brilliant,
didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in favour

of a
better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage, long way past

the
use-by date, and it's got even worse with age - now smells rather

like
oil based gloss paint. (I'm dubious about contamination from the

plastic
bottles - only by it in glass bottles now.) Can anyone think of

anything
useful to do with it which doesn't involve eating it (or smelling

it)?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Use it in an oil lamp for emergency lighting.

A friend of mine recently bought 270 litres of Olive Oil that was date
expired for food use in 12/09, and she is running he Lan Rover
Discovery 300tdi on a 25% mix with diesel quite sucessfully.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-02-10 14:40:42 +0000, sm_jamieson said:

[...]

Or you can use Almond Oil if you prefer ..again new stuff!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 00:08:51 +0000, Frank Erskine
wrote:

Actually I don't use a lot of olive oil per se - mainly a drop or two
when cooking pasta (either dry or fresh).

If you mean to stop it sticking Gino de Campo says you don't need that
...just a rolling boil keeps it from sticking !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2010 14:38, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't brilliant,
didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in favour of a
better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage ...

Mix with that raddle stuff and apply to me squirrels. ;-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't brilliant,
didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in favour of a
better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage, long way past the
use-by date, and it's got even worse with age - now smells rather like
oil based gloss paint. (I'm dubious about contamination from the plastic
bottles - only by it in glass bottles now.) Can anyone think of anything
useful to do with it which doesn't involve eating it (or smelling it)?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Its a food, it went bad because of age not the plastic, freezing it
would have kept it fine, all food oils will go bad, just as will many
whole grains go bad in a few months. Uses for rancid cooking oils? the
garbage.

Place a few drops in your ears to soften the wax!

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 19:53:58 +0000, Piers Finlayson wrote:
I wouldn't put dodgy smelling old olive oil in my ear, but I have put
nice fresh olive oil in there when I needed to clear out wax.

Isn't this another one of those situations where the new preferred tool of
2010, the pressure washer, comes in handy?

Nah - it's the job of WD-40 followed by the angle grinder. After all,
WD-40 was designed specifically for this purpose. "WD" stands for Wax
Dissolver.

Heck, send that into them and see if they'll list it as one of their uses
on the website!

You can then repair the eardrum with a mixture of car body filler,
self-levelling compound and dilute PVA.

Don't forget to carve yourself a new ear from a nice bit of oak.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Actually I don't use a lot of olive oil per se - mainly a drop or two
when cooking pasta (either dry or fresh).

If you mean to stop it sticking Gino de Campo says you don't need that
..just a rolling boil keeps it from sticking !

What's a "Gino de Campo"?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
On 10/02/2010 14:38, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't brilliant,
didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in favour of a
better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage ...

Mix with that raddle stuff and apply to me squirrels. ;-)

What will it do to the squirrels?

Alan

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Actually I don't use a lot of olive oil per se - mainly a drop or
two when cooking pasta (either dry or fresh).

If you mean to stop it sticking Gino de Campo says you don't need
that ..just a rolling boil keeps it from sticking !

What's a "Gino de Campo"?

Its Italian for "Angle Grinder".

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:11:18 -0000, alan.holmes wrote:

"Adrian C" wrote in message
On 10/02/2010 14:38, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't brilliant,
didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in favour of a
better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage ...

Mix with that raddle stuff and apply to me squirrels. ;-)

What will it do to the squirrels?

Alan

--
Adrian C

Sticks them to trees.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 10, 6:47*pm, ransley wrote:

Its a food, it went bad because of age not the plastic,

Actually certain compounds from plastics can leach into the contents -
this can happen particularly if the contents are oily or alcoholic and
the bottle was intended for water.

Also, PET is porous. That doesn't help either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Actually I don't use a lot of olive oil per se - mainly a drop or
two when cooking pasta (either dry or fresh).

If you mean to stop it sticking Gino de Campo says you don't need
that ..just a rolling boil keeps it from sticking !

What's a "Gino de Campo"?

Its Italian for "Angle Grinder".

Thanks.
--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I have dropped groundnut oil from my store cupboards, I can't remember
if it was because of its cholesterol level or not. Having driven to
Warwick services and back, my brain is like a bowl of mashed potatoes
right now. I have just seen something that was posted in another ng that
came from Italy. It is about the smoke point of oils and believe it or
not, olive oil comes out very near the top, but it isn't the olive oil
you associate with hot frying. I can e mail it to you if it would be of
interest. Your address looks like being valid.

Dave

Food shortage ethanol follies, I've planted a food garden. [email protected] Home Repair 106 May 8th 08 09:43 PM
olive tree in lawn finecur Home Repair 5 August 18th 07 03:42 AM
As promised - My Olive tree Moshe Eshel Woodturning 20 March 24th 06 05:51 AM
Looking for Olive Wood Art Thoma Woodworking 4 March 23rd 05 03:22 PM