Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Moshe Eshel

Default As promised - My Olive tree

A bit late but here are the pics I promised.
http://www.eshel.us/OliveTree/index.html

I apologize for the quality and the banners (not popups) over which I
have no control. I hope to make a better website one day soon.

What you see is the olive tree (before and after), the tools used (my
"truck" and saw), Some beautifull view from my village (which is
actauly located inside a huge Olive grove). and some more pics - all
from the process of taking down the tree.

I hope you enjoy, please ask anything - maybe give suggestions for
interesting projects (remember I have a small lathe :-( , but if
someone has a realy amazing idea, I might convince Eli Avisera to try
it...)

All the best from Israel
Moshe Eshel

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bob N

Moshe,

Thanks for the pictures and tour of your village.

That has got to be some of the nicest wood I have laid eyes on. I would
love to get my hands on what you have for turning some pens. You are very
lucky and I hope you make good use of the precious wood you have aquired.

Cheers,
Bob

"Moshe Eshel" wrote in message
ups.com...
A bit late but here are the pics I promised.
http://www.eshel.us/OliveTree/index.html

I apologize for the quality and the banners (not popups) over which I
have no control. I hope to make a better website one day soon.

What you see is the olive tree (before and after), the tools used (my
"truck" and saw), Some beautifull view from my village (which is
actauly located inside a huge Olive grove). and some more pics - all
from the process of taking down the tree.

I hope you enjoy, please ask anything - maybe give suggestions for
interesting projects (remember I have a small lathe :-( , but if
someone has a realy amazing idea, I might convince Eli Avisera to try
it...)

All the best from Israel
Moshe Eshel

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

"Moshe Eshel" wrote:

A bit late but here are the pics I promised.
http://www.eshel.us/OliveTree/index.html

Spectacular - all of it!! Mazel Tov!
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

"Moshe Eshel" wrote in message
ups.com...
A bit late but here are the pics I promised.
http://www.eshel.us/OliveTree/index.html

I apologize for the quality and the banners (not popups) over which I
have no control. I hope to make a better website one day soon.

What you see is the olive tree (before and after), the tools used (my
"truck" and saw), Some beautifull view from my village (which is
actauly located inside a huge Olive grove). and some more pics - all
from the process of taking down the tree.

I hope you enjoy, please ask anything - maybe give suggestions for
interesting projects (remember I have a small lathe :-( , but if
someone has a realy amazing idea, I might convince Eli Avisera to try
it...)

All the best from Israel
Moshe Eshel

========================

Moshe,
I was trying NOT to be jealous when you told about getting a whole olive
tree, but then you had to go and show the pictures!!! With that big root
ball, I'd get down to a place where it can be power washed to get the dirt
and rocks out. There should be even more dramatic grain and swirls there
than what you've shown here. I've only had an oportunity to turn olive one
time, as a birthday present for my wife's best friend several years ago, and
she still talks about it. Good luck with what you have; treat it well, and
keep us posted on how it turns out.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Chuck

On 19 Mar 2006 08:30:11 -0800, "Moshe Eshel" wrote:

A bit late but here are the pics I promised.
http://www.eshel.us/OliveTree/index.html

Moshe,

Nice pictures. You've got some gorgeous wood there, with some very
intersting color and grain. I've turned some olive from California
and it is a real joy to turn, and SO aromatic, you want to eat the
shavings! My experience with this wood has been that it likes to
crack, like many fruit woods do. You may want to process it into at
least half-logs and end seal it as soon as you possibly can to avoid
uncontrolled checking. Have fun with it, I know you will!

Your 4-legged helper looks very friendly, too.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Moshe Eshel

Ouch!

I couldn't get the root ball, it was much to large for me to put in the
car (or even pick up) and by the time I was ready with an axe, and a a
big hammer and big chisel to split it up, someone else already took it
(I think it went to some dumpster, collected by the garbage
collectors). The sad sad life of living in a modern country with
garbage collection :-(

But I'm quite happy with what I did get out of it, and try to turn it
to good use (pun intended).

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On 19 Mar 2006 08:30:11 -0800, "Moshe Eshel" wrote:

A bit late but here are the pics I promised.
http://www.eshel.us/OliveTree/index.html

I apologize for the quality and the banners (not popups) over which I
have no control. I hope to make a better website one day soon.

What you see is the olive tree (before and after), the tools used (my
"truck" and saw), Some beautifull view from my village (which is
actauly located inside a huge Olive grove). and some more pics - all
from the process of taking down the tree.

I hope you enjoy, please ask anything - maybe give suggestions for
interesting projects (remember I have a small lathe :-( , but if
someone has a realy amazing idea, I might convince Eli Avisera to try
it...)

All the best from Israel
Moshe Eshel

Moshe..
Thank you for sharing, both the wood and a bit of your country..

I have relatives in Israel but had never seen pictures before, other than the
type that tourists buy...
Your area looks very much like mine here in Central California... we too, have
agriculture richness where there was only desert..

Enjoy the olive.. spindle tuning is fun, but consider a few small bowls or
plates to really display that wonderful grain..

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Moshe Eshel

I'll give it my best try - maybe borrow a lathe that can handle it from
some fellow woodturner.

I have to say though, that my part of Israel was never a desert. It was
always a rich and beatifull country, even more than now since in the
previous centuries (1800s and 1900s) the Turkish and British empires
destroyed all the beautifull natural forests that existed, the other
trees besides the olives you see in the background are pine trees in
man planted forests - in this case the Ben-Shemen national forest which
is the largest in Israel.

There are of course places in Israel in which there was a desert before
and now you see a lot of agriculture, but when you look around you
still see a desert, with a few fields in the middle, very impressive
indeed - but Israel hasn't realy achieved Tera-Forming yet... :-(

On another note: you should visit your relatives, I assure you, you
will have a good time, and I can give you some of the Olive to take
back in your suitcase...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Moshe Eshel" wrote in message
ups.com...

I hope you enjoy, please ask anything - maybe give suggestions for
interesting projects (remember I have a small lathe :-( , but if
someone has a realy amazing idea, I might convince Eli Avisera to try
it...)

How about.
http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...t=4c0d5a44.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Moshe Eshel

Goblets probably yes, Natural edge - I think the bark isn't that stable
- maybe off one of the branches of the tree (if you saw the picture) -
I will give a try and post the pictures. Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
marcaf

Magnificent wood, trade you for some cherry, oh the shipping costs!
Love to see the pictures when completed.

Marc
http://marcafreedman.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller

Moshe Eshel wrote:
[...]

Where are you at Moshe? I spent a year in Israel in '82/'83. Most of
my time was at Kibbute Ga'aton, but went to ulpan at Kibbutz Matsuva.
I'd come back in a heartbeat if it wasn't for a mortgage, family, etc.
Someday I do want to do it again...

....Kevin
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Moshe Eshel

My Village is called Gimzo, it is right by the Ben Gurion Airport (you
sometimes fly above us right before landing, which give an amzing
view). Not a Kibutz but a Moshav, but Kibutz is also good :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Moshe Eshel

Thanks... How did you do that bowl (#105 wormy spalted maple) and the
others (#100 116), are they turnings? or maybe a combination - if
turnings I would love to know how...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On 20 Mar 2006 08:05:12 -0800, "Moshe Eshel" wrote:

There are of course places in Israel in which there was a desert before
and now you see a lot of agriculture, but when you look around you
still see a desert, with a few fields in the middle, very impressive
indeed - but Israel hasn't realy achieved Tera-Forming yet... :-(

Maybe not, but I think that drip irrigation was invented and proven there?

On another note: you should visit your relatives, I assure you, you
will have a good time, and I can give you some of the Olive to take
back in your suitcase...

I haven't even been back to New York to visit the relatives there for about 40
years.. i think Israel is a bit too far for us.. *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Moshe

Thanks for the pictures, yes I can imagine the first time you looked at
the log, and wondered if it would be any good, doesn't look like much
at first glance, but that is very often the case with the wood we use
from downed trees.
It sure does not make me feel any better though, not being able to
wrestle you for some of that wood, GG
I would love to turn some of that, but now you have that problem, just
don't try to hurry the drying of your roughouts, seal, bag and slow
down that process, so you end up with the best possible.
You have some real beautiful wood there Moshe, even the small stuff you
show, you should be able to turn some real fine miniatures from that,
just take care of the large wood first.
I could E-mail some pic's if you like for ideas, just send me your
E-mail address.
It will be a few days before I am able to do this as I am leaving
tomorrow morning on a trip and won't be back for a week or better.
Moshe you sure are lucky to live in such a beautiful wooded area, even
if the "greedy money grabbers" have done (and still are doing all over
the world) so much damage, nature is resilient and is able to bounce
back a lot, if given a chance.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Moshe Eshel

That is indeed true... We did prove drip irrigation works (as to who
realy invented it, I realy don't know, maybe we did...)

It seems like you don't like traveling, can't blame you when you can
use the time for turning :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
marcaf

I do not use a lathe. Instead, a combination of grinder, chisels, and
sanders. Lots of work, lots of sawdust, but rewarding results. Thanks
for asking.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On 21 Mar 2006 12:37:49 -0800, "Moshe Eshel" wrote:

That is indeed true... We did prove drip irrigation works (as to who
realy invented it, I realy don't know, maybe we did...)

It seems like you don't like traveling, can't blame you when you can
use the time for turning :-)

I'm very spoiled, Moshe... If we go for a trip in our RV, the Jet mini goes with
us.. *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

Don't know what the protocal is here, but
in rec.woodworking it's
YOU SUCK!

Here it may be
You lucky son of a . . .!

charlie b

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

On 19 Mar 2006 08:30:11 -0800, "Moshe Eshel" wrote:

A bit late but here are the pics I promised.
http://www.eshel.us/OliveTree/index.html

I apologize for the quality and the banners (not popups) over which I
have no control. I hope to make a better website one day soon.

That's oddly refreshing, but unneccesary. I only wish that more sites
could limit the banner ads and popups like that!

You get any of that Olive wood turned yet?

Christmas tree won't drink water Finite Guy Home Repair 43 December 21st 19 11:06 PM
How Lee Valley & Tegs Tools Saved Christmas B Man Woodworking 0 January 21st 05 02:20 AM
repairing a tree with hole in it Danny Home Repair 8 October 10th 04 02:01 PM
unfortunate Lazarus Long Woodworking 32 April 20th 04 02:44 PM
Tree identification. Al Kyder Woodturning 2 September 17th 03 05:13 PM