Old December 22nd 04, 02:14 PM
Finite Guy

Default Christmas tree won't drink water

Hi All: I couldn't find and appropriate newsgroup for this post so I
thought I'd try this one. Besides, if I don't solve this problem, I
will be needing a home repair.

We cut a fress Christmas tree a couple of weeks ago at a local tree
farm; it is a Balsam Fir. Since this tree was huge, by the time I set
it up, I ended up cutting about one foot off the bottom and 6 inches
from the top. The important thing is that it was a fresh cut just
before I put up the tree and filled the tree holder pan with water.

This tree will not drink water. Is it becasue it is a fresh tree and
doesn't need it?

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Robert

Old December 22nd 04, 02:25 PM
James Nipper

If you did the fresh cut at the bottom just a few hours before you set it up
and now it doesn't drink water, it may be a pretty fresh tree !! I would
check it 24 hours later, to see if it has taken some of the water.

I don't know of anything else you can or need to do...............

Good Luck !!

--James--

Old December 22nd 04, 02:31 PM
Patscga

The tree should have started drinking immediately, that I'm sure of. Why it
isn't, I don't have a clue. Sorry.
Pat
Old December 22nd 04, 02:36 PM
TCS

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:14:14 GMT, Finite Guy wrote:
Hi All: I couldn't find and appropriate newsgroup for this post so I
thought I'd try this one. Besides, if I don't solve this problem, I
will be needing a home repair.

We cut a fress Christmas tree a couple of weeks ago at a local tree
farm; it is a Balsam Fir. Since this tree was huge, by the time I set
it up, I ended up cutting about one foot off the bottom and 6 inches
from the top. The important thing is that it was a fresh cut just
before I put up the tree and filled the tree holder pan with water.

This tree will not drink water. Is it becasue it is a fresh tree and
doesn't need it?

Drill a couple of 1/2" holes through the base.
Old December 22nd 04, 03:04 PM
Noozer

"Finite Guy" wrote in message
Hi All: I couldn't find and appropriate newsgroup for this post so I
thought I'd try this one. Besides, if I don't solve this problem, I
will be needing a home repair.

We cut a fress Christmas tree a couple of weeks ago at a local tree
farm; it is a Balsam Fir. Since this tree was huge, by the time I set
it up, I ended up cutting about one foot off the bottom and 6 inches
from the top. The important thing is that it was a fresh cut just
before I put up the tree and filled the tree holder pan with water.

This tree will not drink water. Is it becasue it is a fresh tree and
doesn't need it?

Any suggestions on what I should do?

You cut the top and bottom? Try using it like a straw! : )

I like the drill a couple holes in the base...

Is the cut end of the tree sitting against the bottom of the pan? This might
be "sealing" out the water. Drilling holes will make sure the water can get
into the tree.

Old December 22nd 04, 03:41 PM
Finite Guy

Good Point, the bottom is pretty much touching the bottom of the pan
which may tend to seal it. I will drill the holes toninte when I go
home. Thanks for your help.
Happy Holidays.
Robert
P.S. I will be sure not to slip and drill through the bottom of the
pan.

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:04:59 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

.. .

Old December 22nd 04, 05:28 PM
bumtracks

National Christmas Tree Assn. PRESS RELEASE
http://www.realchristmastrees.org/care.html

"Finite Guy" wrote in message
Good Point, the bottom is pretty much touching the bottom of the pan
which may tend to seal it. I will drill the holes toninte when I go
home. Thanks for your help.
Happy Holidays.
Robert
P.S. I will be sure not to slip and drill through the bottom of the
pan.

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:04:59 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

.. .

Old December 22nd 04, 05:29 PM
Matt

Well, whatever you do, don't pour any jack daniels in the water. I
tried that last year. I thought it was a pretty clever idea, because an
hour after I filled the stand, the pan was empty. So I refilled it with
plain water - nothing. Added some more JD - nothing. Finally tried some
Chivas - pan empty in 1/2 hour.

This cycle continued all the way up to christmas day, when my kids woke
up me and my wife, their bright faces full of excitement way before sun
up. So we go downstairs.... what do we find? Yep. The christmas tree
had taken off it's star, and put a lampshade on it's head. Also, there
was christmas tree puke (thick, yellow sap) all over the gifts.

An alchoholic christmas tree can ruin an otherwise perfect day, so - be
careful.

Old December 22nd 04, 09:12 PM
[email protected]

On 22 Dec 2004 14:31:13 GMT, (Patscga) wrote:

The tree should have started drinking immediately, that I'm sure of. Why it
isn't, I don't have a clue. Sorry.
Pat

You can lead a tree to water, but you can't make it drink.

:-P

Sorry I had to say that, I'm weak willed.

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!

tom @
www.FindMeShelter.com

Hot water recirculation [email protected] Home Repair 18 August 9th 04 05:32 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM