Finite Guy

Default Christmas tree won't drink water

Hi All: I couldn't find and appropriate newsgroup for this post so I
thought I'd try this one. Besides, if I don't solve this problem, I
will be needing a home repair.

We cut a fress Christmas tree a couple of weeks ago at a local tree
farm; it is a Balsam Fir. Since this tree was huge, by the time I set
it up, I ended up cutting about one foot off the bottom and 6 inches
from the top. The important thing is that it was a fresh cut just
before I put up the tree and filled the tree holder pan with water.

This tree will not drink water. Is it becasue it is a fresh tree and
doesn't need it?

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Robert

James Nipper

If you did the fresh cut at the bottom just a few hours before you set it up
and now it doesn't drink water, it may be a pretty fresh tree !! I would
check it 24 hours later, to see if it has taken some of the water.

I don't know of anything else you can or need to do...............

Good Luck !!

--James--

Patscga

The tree should have started drinking immediately, that I'm sure of. Why it
isn't, I don't have a clue. Sorry.
Pat
TCS

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:14:14 GMT, Finite Guy wrote:
Hi All: I couldn't find and appropriate newsgroup for this post so I
thought I'd try this one. Besides, if I don't solve this problem, I
will be needing a home repair.

We cut a fress Christmas tree a couple of weeks ago at a local tree
farm; it is a Balsam Fir. Since this tree was huge, by the time I set
it up, I ended up cutting about one foot off the bottom and 6 inches
from the top. The important thing is that it was a fresh cut just
before I put up the tree and filled the tree holder pan with water.

This tree will not drink water. Is it becasue it is a fresh tree and
doesn't need it?

Drill a couple of 1/2" holes through the base.
Noozer

"Finite Guy" wrote in message
Hi All: I couldn't find and appropriate newsgroup for this post so I
thought I'd try this one. Besides, if I don't solve this problem, I
will be needing a home repair.

We cut a fress Christmas tree a couple of weeks ago at a local tree
farm; it is a Balsam Fir. Since this tree was huge, by the time I set
it up, I ended up cutting about one foot off the bottom and 6 inches
from the top. The important thing is that it was a fresh cut just
before I put up the tree and filled the tree holder pan with water.

This tree will not drink water. Is it becasue it is a fresh tree and
doesn't need it?

Any suggestions on what I should do?

You cut the top and bottom? Try using it like a straw! : )

I like the drill a couple holes in the base...

Is the cut end of the tree sitting against the bottom of the pan? This might
be "sealing" out the water. Drilling holes will make sure the water can get
into the tree.

Finite Guy

Good Point, the bottom is pretty much touching the bottom of the pan
which may tend to seal it. I will drill the holes toninte when I go
home. Thanks for your help.
Happy Holidays.
Robert
P.S. I will be sure not to slip and drill through the bottom of the
pan.

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:04:59 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

"Finite Guy" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Matt

Well, whatever you do, don't pour any jack daniels in the water. I
tried that last year. I thought it was a pretty clever idea, because an
hour after I filled the stand, the pan was empty. So I refilled it with
plain water - nothing. Added some more JD - nothing. Finally tried some
Chivas - pan empty in 1/2 hour.

This cycle continued all the way up to christmas day, when my kids woke
up me and my wife, their bright faces full of excitement way before sun
up. So we go downstairs.... what do we find? Yep. The christmas tree
had taken off it's star, and put a lampshade on it's head. Also, there
was christmas tree puke (thick, yellow sap) all over the gifts.

An alchoholic christmas tree can ruin an otherwise perfect day, so - be
careful.

The_Critic

"Finite Guy" wrote in message
Hi All: I couldn't find and appropriate newsgroup for this post so I
thought I'd try this one. Besides, if I don't solve this problem, I
will be needing a home repair.

snip This tree will not drink water. Is it becasue it is a fresh tree
and
doesn't need it?

Any suggestions on what I should do?
Robert

I received the following in a gardening newsletter. jerrybaker.com Hope
it helps.

"It'll soon be that time of year again, so I'd like to take a moment to
wish you and yours a happy, healthy, and safe holiday season! I'm never
one to leave you in a lurch, so to help you out with your holiday chores,
here are a few of my favorite holiday tips and tricks.

To help your Christmas tree retain its needles all season long, you need
to select a tree that's fresh, and then consider shape, height, and price.
When selecting a tree, shake it as hard as you can, then reach into the
trunk, and remove all of the needles that have accumulated in the center
of the tree. If you do this while you're still at a tree lot, you won't
need to vacuum up all of the excess needles when the tree is in your
house!

As soon as you bring the tree home, while you still have it outdoors, cut
and discard at least one inch off of the bottom of the trunk to remove the
dried sap that'll prevent the tree from absorbing moisture. Then fill a
large bucket half full of hot water and add 2 cups of clear corn syrup, 2
tbsp. of beach, and 4 One-a-Day Vitamins+Iron. Set the trunk in the
bucket, and allow it to soak overnight. Then keep plenty of water in the
tree stand at all times.

If you're going to hang up some evergreen roping, soak it in room
temperature water for 24 hours before using it. Allow it to dry then spray
it with a commercial antidesiccant that can be found at most tree
nurseries.

Decorative centerpieces can sure brighten up a room, but before using
decorative greens, soak the stems in the corn syrup solution overnight,
then spray them with an antidesiccant. When the spray has dried, make
fresh, sharp cuts on the ends, and force them into pieces of oasis that
have been soaked in the corn syrup solution and wrapped in foil to prevent
evaporation.

Follow these simple steps, and your halls will stay decked with fresh,
fragrant greens throughout the holiday season. Then when the holidays are
over, make sure you dispose of the greens properly. Don't burn them in your
fireplace because sparks can travel up the chimney and set fire to the
roof, or burn so hot that they'll cause a fire in the flue. Remember, it's
better to be safe than sorry!"

JerryMouse

Finite Guy wrote:
Hi All: I couldn't find and appropriate newsgroup for this post so I
thought I'd try this one. Besides, if I don't solve this problem, I
will be needing a home repair.

We cut a fress Christmas tree a couple of weeks ago at a local tree
farm; it is a Balsam Fir. Since this tree was huge, by the time I set
it up, I ended up cutting about one foot off the bottom and 6 inches
from the top. The important thing is that it was a fresh cut just
before I put up the tree and filled the tree holder pan with water.

This tree will not drink water. Is it becasue it is a fresh tree and
doesn't need it?

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Give it a couple of weeks. If it still won't drink, throw it away.

MC

I am really stretching back into school biology here, But I thought that
trees only used the underlying section just below the bark to supply the
tree with nutrients from the roots, the middle of the tree was not active at
all ???

Any tree experts out there ??

MC
"The_Critic" wrote in message

"Finite Guy" wrote in message
[...]

Michael Baugh

Yep. And the suggestion of a 1/2 hole on each side is to give
better exposure to that layer, and making the hole any deeper
is superfluous.
The routine of drilling the hole frequently comes up with a fresh cut with
tree stand bottom blocking flow. That's the reason for the center spike. To
hold the tree in place, and space it above the bottom of the stand bowl.

"The_Critic" wrote in message

"Finite Guy" wrote in message
[...]

TURTLE

"Finite Guy" wrote in message
Hi All: I couldn't find and appropriate newsgroup for this post so I
thought I'd try this one. Besides, if I don't solve this problem, I
will be needing a home repair.

We cut a fress Christmas tree a couple of weeks ago at a local tree
farm; it is a Balsam Fir. Since this tree was huge, by the time I set
it up, I ended up cutting about one foot off the bottom and 6 inches
from the top. The important thing is that it was a fresh cut just
before I put up the tree and filled the tree holder pan with water.

This tree will not drink water. Is it becasue it is a fresh tree and
doesn't need it?

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Robert

This is Turtle.

I think Noozer got it with the flate butt of the trunk sitting flate on the
bottom of the pan. If you restrict the veines of the truck it will not take on
water.

Secondly take some of this stuff call miricle grow and mix it up strongly and
put it in the water. the tree will stay green till next Christmas.

TURTLE

Roger

" We cut a fress Christmas tree a couple of weeks ago at a local tree
farm; it is a Balsam Fir. Since this tree was huge, by the time I set
it up, I ended up cutting about one foot off the bottom and 6 inches
from the top. The important thing is that it was a fresh cut just
before I put up the tree and filled the tree holder pan with water.

This tree will not drink water. Is it becasue it is a fresh tree and
doesn't need it?

How long was it from cutting to putting into water? Two weeks? Once a tree
is cut, it should be put into fairly deep water (I use a bucket) to start it
drinking the day it is cut. The base should be recut another 1/2 inch or so
to expose fresher wood, immediately upon getting the tree home, with a 1/4
inch bevel cut around the base along the bark, using a very sharp utility
knife, to expose phloem/xylem channels. I use a flat stone or gravel to keep
tree base off bottom of bucket. Once tree is stored in shady cool place like
this, it can be moved whenever you like into the house, even weeks later,in
a bucket style tree base with righting bolts. While outside, it should be
topped off daily. It will drink like crazy for several days, then slow down
markedly by the end of a week, but by that time the tree will be hydrated
and resist drying once it is inside.

Zemedelec

Try adding a few copper coins to the water ---it helps cut flowers hydrate
themselves. so why not a tree?
zemedelec
gary

1/2 sprite solution with 1/2 water to keep it alive longer, if it indeed
starts to take up water. Copper pennies???

"Noozer" wrote in message
Copper is poison to plants...

Want to kill a tree? Drive a few pennies into it with a hammer.

Finite Guy wrote:
Good Point, the bottom is pretty much touching the bottom of the pan
which may tend to seal it. I will drill the holes toninte when I go
home. Thanks for your help.

Just cut the bottom at a slight angle.

Zemedelec

Want to kill a tree? Drive a few pennies into it with a hammer.

BRBR

You must have missed something. We're talking about an already cut tree. Amd
why use pennies when you have a chain saw?

zemedelec

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 23:04:11 GMT, "gary"
wrote:

Use and IV?

I don't like needles, can't you just feed them salty peanuts and
popcorn? It works at bars to get the people drinking more.

later and Merry Christmas All!

wrote in message
.. .
On 22 Dec 2004 14:31:13 GMT, (Patscga) wrote:

The tree should have started drinking immediately, that I'm sure of. Why
it
isn't, I don't have a clue. Sorry.
Pat

You can lead a tree to water, but you can't make it drink.

:-P

Sorry I had to say that, I'm weak willed.

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!

tom @
www.FindMeShelter.com

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com

Michael Baugh

Actually, it's more likely a monument to your sexual capacity.
Dead from the root, with the balls only a decoration.

equalizer wrote in message
Why not pray to Jeeesis to save the tree?? After all, it's a living
thing which was cut down for the purpose of dying in your living room to
celebrate his birth......

Michael Baugh

I'm sorry, but your posts no longer have any validity until you fully
fill out and post the essay quiz which was presented to you.....

equalizer wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 08:39:33 -0500, "Michael Baugh"
wrote:

Actually, it's more likely a monument to your sexual capacity.
Dead from the root, with the balls only a decoration.

equalizer wrote in message
.. .
Why not pray to Jeeesis to save the tree?? After all, it's a living
thing which was cut down for the purpose of dying in your living room

celebrate his birth......

Direct hit!!! Wow I ****ed you off big time with the truth, eh?!? Go off
and lick yer wounds!!!

eq

Michael Baugh

equalizer wrote in message
And also, the essay quiz was posted to the burden of Christians, who
need to prove their faith to the rest of us. We who don't follow it's
principles have no need or obligation to prove the tenets of
Christianity (duh!). Unfortunately, this is too big of a concept for you
right now. Please work a little harder on your GED and come back when
you're ready.

Guess I can see why you're concerned about the GED.
A reminder before your next class- the word "it's" is the contraction for
"it is".

wrote:

[...]

Maybe today, but the tree was orginally brought into the house this
time of year to welcome woodland spirts of life into your home during
the death of winter.

The christmas tree was added to the 25th of December over time and
tradition, nothing to do with the birth of Christ.

Just saying.....

tom @ www.ChopURL.com

wrote:

Actually, it's more likely a monument to your sexual capacity.
Dead from the root, with the balls only a decoration.

equalizer wrote in message
. ..
Why not pray to Jeeesis to save the tree?? After all, it's a living
thing which was cut down for the purpose of dying in your living room to
celebrate his birth......

Direct hit!!! Wow I ****ed you off big time with the truth, eh?!? Go off
and lick yer wounds!!!

eq

Roots, balls, and licking, is this the right newsgroup?

:-P

later,

tom @ www.MedicalJobList.com

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 13:11:45 -0500, equalizer wrote:

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:35:11 -0500, "Michael Baugh"
wrote:

I'm sorry, but your posts no longer have any validity until you fully
fill out and post the essay quiz which was presented to you.....

And also, the essay quiz was posted to the burden of Christians, who
need to prove their faith to the rest of us. We who don't follow it's

oxymoron, faith is generally a belief not based on proof, so nothing
to prove.

http://www.chopurl.com?445

principles have no need or obligation to prove the tenets of
Christianity (duh!). Unfortunately, this is too big of a concept for you
right now. Please work a little harder on your GED and come back when
you're ready.

eq

Merry Christmas Everyone!

later,

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Finite Guy, David wrote:
Mine won't drink water either.

I looked online and it said that when a tree is cut at it's base the sap
at the base dries and hardens, preventing water and sap loss from the
tree. It also said that the sap can take up to 6 hours to harden at the
cut.

My tree was cut and i brought it home and put it in the garage on its side
over night before setting it up the next morning. I think mine is beyond
saving. This was the first time it's happened to me in maybe 10 Christmas
tree preps. Guess I should have been quicker on the drawer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David" wrote in

My tree was cut and i brought it home and put it in the garage on its side
over night before setting it up the next morning. I think mine is beyond
saving. This was the first time it's happened to me in maybe 10 Christmas
tree preps. Guess I should have been quicker on the drawer.

Get a saw and cut the dried off part from the bottom of the tree and start
again.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 22:58:09 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"David" wrote in

My tree was cut and i brought it home and put it in the garage on its side
over night before setting it up the next morning. I think mine is beyond

Hold its nose.

saving. This was the first time it's happened to me in maybe 10 Christmas
tree preps. Guess I should have been quicker on the drawer.

Get a saw and cut the dried off part from the bottom of the tree and start
again.

I was going to say that, but Bob knows more about Greens than I do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2015 10:44 PM, David wrote:
replying to Finite Guy, David wrote:
Mine won't drink water either.
I looked online and it said that when a tree is cut at it's base the sap
at the base dries and hardens, preventing water and sap loss from the
tree. It also said that the sap can take up to 6 hours to harden at the
cut.
My tree was cut and i brought it home and put it in the garage on its side
over night before setting it up the next morning. I think mine is beyond
saving. This was the first time it's happened to me in maybe 10 Christmas
tree preps. Guess I should have been quicker on the drawer.

It's interesting that over the last 6 years I've bought fresh cut trees
(watched the guy cut the tree I selected) and have usually taken at
least 1/2" off the bottom, at home, before putting it upright. Some
years they take lots of water and then trail off in a few weeks. This
year, the tree took 5 gallons in the 1st 9 days, the most ever. I can
maybe attribute some of it to the fact that I didn't have to take off
too much bark to make it fit the stand; just a little on the bottom. I
have a reservoir which feeds water through a 1/4" hose to the stand, so
the water level is usually kept pretty high, unless I forget to fill the
reservoir. I understand that the layer just under the bark is where most
of the nutrients are sucked in, so that part of the trunk is always wet.
Next year my tree probably won't take any water. Too much work getting
it, cleaning up after it, etc. This year my wife actually had 2 asthma
attacks, probably from molds, etc, while working on it. I should have
power washed it before before bringing it into the house. We though we'd
buy one of those Balsam Hills trees ... pricey, but they seem to look
really good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Micky" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 22:58:09 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"David" wrote in

My tree was cut and i brought it home and put it in the garage on its

side
over night before setting it up the next morning. I think mine is

beyond

Hold its nose.

saving. This was the first time it's happened to me in maybe 10

Christmas
tree preps. Guess I should have been quicker on the drawer.

Get a saw and cut the dried off part from the bottom of the tree and

start
again.

I was going to say that, but Bob knows more about Greens than I do.

Nice one, you old "sock shucker" you! (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 08:05:02 -0500, Art Todesco
wrote:

[...]

I dont buy live trees. I have a small artificial one that I use. But
when I was a kid, my father always bought a live tree, and he always cut
off at least a half inch of the trunk, right before he put it in the
stand. Then he put sugar water in the stand. I dont know if the sugar
really served a purpose or was just some "old wives tale". But the trees
held up well, and he never took them down until after New Years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have a live potted Frazier Fir tree on my front porch that I bought a
few weeks ago. I thought I was going to bring it in and decorate it as a
table top tree, but instead I just kept it on the front porch and put
lights on it out there. Inside I took the old lights off the table top
tree from years past and put new LEDs on it and it looks like a brand
new tree, now.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, my niece does that every year, however, you can only keep the live
potted tree inside for a few days ... anyway, that's what she told me.
BTW, my 9 1/2' fresh cut Frasier Fir is still drinking water, but not as
much as in the 1st 9 days. Now it's taking about a quart per day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 08:51:02 -0500, Art Todesco
wrote:

I have a live potted Frazier Fir tree on my front porch that I bought a
few weeks ago. I thought I was going to bring it in and decorate it as a
table top tree, but instead I just kept it on the front porch and put
lights on it out there. Inside I took the old lights off the table top
tree from years past and put new LEDs on it and it looks like a brand
new tree, now.

Yeah, my niece does that every year, however, you can only keep the live
potted tree inside for a few days ... anyway, that's what she told me.
BTW, my 9 1/2' fresh cut Frasier Fir is still drinking water, but not as
much as in the 1st 9 days. Now it's taking about a quart per day.

Put it on a wheeled cart. Bring it inside during the day, roll it
outside at night. You can plug it in to an outlet indoors or outdoors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I guess I love fir trees. Frazier fir is my second choice, and Noble
fir come in first place.

--
Maggie

Hot water recirculation [email protected] Home Repair 18 August 9th 04 06:32 AM
Copper pipe sizing. Is bigger better? Paul J Home Repair 19 February 29th 04 08:52 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 02:15 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 10:59 PM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 29th 03 12:59 AM