Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default Any non-food use for olive oil?

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:06:48 -0000, "tim...."
wrote:

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
On 10 Feb, 14:38, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Bought some extra virgin olive oil some years ago. It wasn't brilliant,
didn't get used very much, and eventually got abandoned in favour of a
better one. Still have two 1l bottles in the garage, long way past the
use-by date, and it's got even worse with age - now smells rather like
oil based gloss paint. (I'm dubious about contamination from the plastic
bottles - only by it in glass bottles now.) Can anyone think of anything
useful to do with it which doesn't involve eating it (or smelling it)?

What about hearing it ?
Does putting it in your ear count ;-?
They used to put warm oil in the ear to soften wax. In fact you had to
buy it from the chemist.

Yep

Olive Oil was available for this purpose long before the foodies discovered
that we should use it in food

Indeed. My almost-95-year-old mum was curious why I had a stock of
olive oil in the house. She thought I must've bought it at the
chemist shop for medicinal purposes.
Actually I don't use a lot of olive oil per se - mainly a drop or two
when cooking pasta (either dry or fresh). I tend to use more
sunflower oil, "stir-fry" oil, sesame oil and groundnut oil for my
various culinary experiments (sunflower for my lubbly fried eggs in
the morning, the accompanying chestnut mushrooms sauteed in butter).

I have dropped groundnut oil from my store cupboards, I can't remember
if it was because of its cholesterol level or not. Having driven to
Warwick services and back, my brain is like a bowl of mashed potatoes
right now. I have just seen something that was posted in another ng that
came from Italy. It is about the smoke point of oils and believe it or
not, olive oil comes out very near the top, but it isn't the olive oil
you associate with hot frying. I can e mail it to you if it would be of
interest. Your address looks like being valid.

Dave