Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Linda Barker on Working Lunch

Ophelia wrote:
Ian F. wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message

Not everyone has been so lucky, Ian!

Fair enough, but my cardiologist told me that he reckons 100% of
cardiologists are on them!

Yes so I believe, but I have also heard many horror stories about them too.

They are especially to be avoided in people suffering from
hypothyroidism. Though as they often do not know they have such a
condition they get them anyway. Then the problems start... such as
severe muscle issues.

(Mind that is also partly due to the choice of which statin to prescribe
- starting with the cheapest which almost certain to be the worst choice
for thyroidally challenged patients.)

And low thyroid levels are frequently a cause of high cholesterol...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
Ian F. wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message

Not everyone has been so lucky, Ian!
Fair enough, but my cardiologist told me that he reckons 100% of
cardiologists are on them!

Yes so I believe, but I have also heard many horror stories about
them too.

They are especially to be avoided in people suffering from
hypothyroidism. Though as they often do not know they have such a
condition they get them anyway. Then the problems start... such as
severe muscle issues.

(Mind that is also partly due to the choice of which statin to
prescribe - starting with the cheapest which almost certain to be the
worst choice for thyroidally challenged patients.)

And low thyroid levels are frequently a cause of high cholesterol...

I wasn't aware of that I read today that the NHS is to allow pharmacists
to change prescriptions, issued by doctors, to give cheaper generic meds.

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Ophelia wrote:

I wasn't aware of that I read today that the NHS is to allow pharmacists
to change prescriptions, issued by doctors, to give cheaper generic meds.

And I wasn't aware of that!

Already there is a major issue with thyroxine-takers getting different
effects from different 'brands'[1] each time they get their
prescriptions fulfilled. Despite being only prescribed as generic[2],
many people manage to persuade their pharmacies to stick to one brand -
but that is at the pharmacies' discretion. And even within a brand they
vary in formulation[3].

[1] All thyroxine generics in the UK have some sort of band name but
are technically generics.
[2] The odd person does get prescribed the one official brand Eltroxin.
[3] Some of these generics are actually different formulations by
dosage. That is, Goldshield 25mcg is different to Goldshield 50mcg - but
the same as Eltroxin 25mcg.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

Derek Geldard wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 20:39:18 +0100, Andy Cap
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:54:59 GMT, "neverwas"
wrote:

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see any way out of the mess unless and
until we get an electorate which is better educated on such matters.
(So it looks to me a close call whether we'll get there before the
sun goes red giant.)

I'm fascinated by the idea that the electorate can influence *any*
single issue. Our much hyped and self-righteously promoted democracy
is no more than a sham.

It's childishly simplistic to think that parliamentary democracy
exactly like ours is the *only* possible fair or effective way to run
a country. Even if it works, if you have agovernment made up of
inveterate liars what chance is there?

Amen!

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Ophelia wrote:

[...]

Well it doesn't bode well. In the article I read, a young woman who is
epileptic and whose fits were controlled, had her meds changed by the
pharmacist and her fits increased dangerously until her meds were changed
back There must be many better ways to save money than this

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

Basil Jet wrote:

I've heard he's an expert on your plumbing.

Boom Boom!

More like Bassil Brush......

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 19:15:32 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Rod wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
Ian F. wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message

Not everyone has been so lucky, Ian!
Fair enough, but my cardiologist told me that he reckons 100% of
cardiologists are on them!

Yes so I believe, but I have also heard many horror stories about
them too.

They are especially to be avoided in people suffering from
hypothyroidism. Though as they often do not know they have such a
condition they get them anyway. Then the problems start... such as
severe muscle issues.

(Mind that is also partly due to the choice of which statin to
prescribe - starting with the cheapest which almost certain to be the
worst choice for thyroidally challenged patients.)

And low thyroid levels are frequently a cause of high cholesterol...

I wasn't aware of that I read today that the NHS is to allow pharmacists
to change prescriptions, issued by doctors, to give cheaper generic meds.

Nearly all the many and various *prescriptions* I've had this last
year *Have been* for generics, the name "Actavis" figuring
significantly.

Derek

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 19:42:27 +0100, Rod wrote:

Ophelia wrote:

I wasn't aware of that I read today that the NHS is to allow
pharmacists to change prescriptions, issued by doctors, to give cheaper
generic meds.

And I wasn't aware of that!

Already there is a major issue with thyroxine-takers getting different
effects from different 'brands'[1] each time they get their
prescriptions fulfilled. Despite being only prescribed as generic[2],
many people manage to persuade their pharmacies to stick to one brand -
but that is at the pharmacies' discretion. And even within a brand they
vary in formulation[3].

Some spokesman claimed that it is, or will be, possible for the GP to
tick a box to constrain the pharmacist to a parycular brand.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

Ophelia wrote:

I wasn't aware of that I read today that the NHS is to allow
pharmacists to change prescriptions, issued by doctors, to give
cheaper generic meds.

And I wasn't aware of that!

Already there is a major issue with thyroxine-takers getting
different effects from different 'brands'[1] each time they get their
prescriptions fulfilled. Despite being only prescribed as generic[2],
many people manage to persuade their pharmacies to stick to one
brand - but that is at the pharmacies' discretion. And even within a
brand they vary in formulation[3].

Some spokesman claimed that it is, or will be, possible for the GP to
tick a box to constrain the pharmacist to a parycular brand.

Thank goodness!!! I didn't see that!

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 15:15:00 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

..
Look up lipoproteins & get back to me. Or read the book & learn something.
Then think about the £700 million a year spent on statins by the NHS + all
the money spent on bollox yoghurt drinks.

The bollox yogurt drinks are part and parcel of the bollox cosmetics
industry, a lot of it advertised relentlessly on day time TV selling
face putty containing collagen (extracted from executed chinese
prisoners) for women to spread on their face, and "DNA" for 70 quid a
15 gram jar.

Along with the "vitamin" shampoos. ( Erm, hair is dead - right).

I.O.W. it's not a "Man" thing. :-))

Derek

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 18:28:45 +0100, "Bill Wright"
wrote:

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Cicero wrote:
Isn't there a danger that the water will become stagnant?

All water that isn't flowing is stagnant.

That include that in the beer in your fridge ?

Or do you "rotate" it to avoid that ?

Derek

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

.
Look up lipoproteins & get back to me. Or read the book & learn
something. Then think about the £700 million a year spent on statins
by the NHS + all the money spent on bollox yoghurt drinks.

The bollox yogurt drinks are part and parcel of the bollox cosmetics
industry, a lot of it advertised relentlessly on day time TV selling
face putty containing collagen (extracted from executed chinese
prisoners) for women to spread on their face, and "DNA" for 70 quid a
15 gram jar.

29% of women agree (127 women sampled).

Along with the "vitamin" shampoos. ( Erm, hair is dead - right).

18% of women agree ( 53 women sampled)

I.O.W. it's not a "Man" thing. :-))

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 08:39:49 +0100, Ian F. wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message om...

Statins are a prime example, the pharmacutical giants have influenced
the medical profession to the extent that they prescribe billions of
pounds worth of a by & large unproven drug which has unpleasant side
effects.

I have been taken statins for years and the only (side)-effect I've
noticed is a dramatic lowering of my cholesterol levels.

There are also indications that it reduces prostate inflammation. On a
sample of one (me) it works!

Drink less, masturbate more

--
geoff
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

Tight arsehole, eh ?

Er, quite the opposite surely? A tight arsehole would do it himself - I get
someone in.

HTH,

Ian

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 10:07:26 +0100, Ian F. wrote:

"geoff" wrote in message

Tight arsehole, eh ?

Er, quite the opposite surely? A tight arsehole would do it himself - I get
someone in.

HTH,

Ian

slacker!
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

In message , Ian F.
writes
"geoff" wrote in message

Tight arsehole, eh ?

Er, quite the opposite surely? A tight arsehole would do it himself - I
get someone in.

HTH,

Nope, you missed the point entirely

--
geoff
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Ian F.
writes
"geoff" wrote in message

Tight arsehole, eh ?

Er, quite the opposite surely? A tight arsehole would do it himself - I
get someone in.

HTH,

Nope, you missed the point entirely

--
geoff

But would the little man miss the point?

Adam

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

Ian F. wrote:
"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...

Um, check out what TMH is...

He's God!
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=TMH

Wish you hadn't posted that. I'm an atheist. Now I don't believe that I
exist.

--
Dave - The errm, arrh, ummm....
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

Ian F. wrote:
"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...

Um, check out what TMH is...

He's God!
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=TMH

Wish you hadn't posted that. I'm an atheist. Now I don't believe that I
exist.

--
Dave - The errm, arrh, ummm....
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Tell your wife that you are God and see what happens

Adam

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

In message ,
ARWadsworth writes

Ian F. wrote:
"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...

Um, check out what TMH is...

He's God!
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=TMH

Wish you hadn't posted that. I'm an atheist. Now I don't believe
that I exist.

-- Dave - The errm, arrh, ummm....
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Tell your wife that you are God and see what happens

She already knows that

every morning she bangs on the toilet door shouting

"God are you still in there ?"

--
geoff
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

In message ,
ARWadsworth writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Ian F.
writes
"geoff" wrote in message

Tight arsehole, eh ?

Er, quite the opposite surely? A tight arsehole would do it himself -
I get someone in.

HTH,

Nope, you missed the point entirely

-- geoff

But would the little man miss the point?

The little man is the one with the point

--
geoff

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "js.b1" saying
something like:

Ireland has no Corgi/Gas Safe

Not by that name obviously, but the system is in place.
http://www.rgii.ie/Consumerservices/...9/Default.aspx
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice"
saying something like:

Although we cleaned teeth etc in header tank water for many a year with
no ill effects. I think.

No ill effects here, even before I cleaned the main tanks of the
detritus and dead animals.

We need more germs!

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Basil Jet"
saying something like:

Ok, a quick check with his nibs, and he says it serves the loo too.

I've heard he's an expert on your plumbing.

Oh Basil, you have a mind like a sewer.