Peter Grey

Default Barker mill capabilites?

Hi all,

I know Barker mills are used in slotting operations, but I'm wondering what
else they can handle. I would love a small mill to cut .25" wide slots .50"
deep in aluminum, and to do some light facing of aluminum pieces 2" wide. I
don't need high precision.

Can the Barker PM handle this? I don't know if this would be a piece of
cake or impossible for this little unit. I've never run a horizontal mill
but the size is about right for my dinky shop, and could a great complement
to my vertical.

Peter

Dan Murphy

"Peter Grey" wrote in
nk.net:

Hi all,

I know Barker mills are used in slotting operations, but I'm wondering
what else they can handle. I would love a small mill to cut .25" wide
slots .50" deep in aluminum, and to do some light facing of aluminum
pieces 2" wide. I don't need high precision.

Can the Barker PM handle this? I don't know if this would be a piece
of cake or impossible for this little unit. I've never run a
horizontal mill but the size is about right for my dinky shop, and
could a great complement to my vertical.

I've used larger end mills, than 1/4", in them to mill flats in 303
stainless. Should also be able to face mill with it. Just keep the D.O.C.
to a sane amount and take passes.

Dan
Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter

I just used mine to put a 3/8" deep, 3/8" wide slot in aluminum in a
single pass using the lever feed on the x axis. I have a 1/3hp motor
on mine and it slowed down a little, but basically just chewed
through. This was using a staggered tooth milling cutter.

I added leadscrews to my y and z axis so I could position things
exactly. I used it to do a whole bunch of gears as well, great for
making gears with a CNC dividing head. Mine is the (PM?) that has the
30 taper head, I think it is probably better (heavier duty) than the
one with the smaller collet head.

I think these machines are a bargain at the prices they go for used.
If you can, try and find one that has the riser block, you will like
the extra headroom.

If anyone has a spare riser block, I'd like to buy one!

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 03:10:17 GMT, "Peter Grey"
wrote:

Hi all,

I know Barker mills are used in slotting operations, but I'm wondering what
else they can handle. I would love a small mill to cut .25" wide slots .50"
deep in aluminum, and to do some light facing of aluminum pieces 2" wide. I
don't need high precision.

Can the Barker PM handle this? I don't know if this would be a piece of
cake or impossible for this little unit. I've never run a horizontal mill
but the size is about right for my dinky shop, and could a great complement
to my vertical.

Peter

Gunner

wrote:

Hi all,

I know Barker mills are used in slotting operations, but I'm wondering what
else they can handle. I would love a small mill to cut .25" wide slots .50"
deep in aluminum, and to do some light facing of aluminum pieces 2" wide. I
don't need high precision.

Can the Barker PM handle this? I don't know if this would be a piece of
cake or impossible for this little unit. I've never run a horizontal mill
but the size is about right for my dinky shop, and could a great complement
to my vertical.

Peter

The Nichols Miller is bigger by some amount..but still not huge.
Perhaps the size of the average small desk. I know some here have
them, perhaps they can give you some dimensions?

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
Waynemak

My Nichols is 36" from the wall to "Y" axis handle and requires about 48" of
width to have full movement of table, more space on the "x" axis is good if
you don't like bashing your fingers. My Nichols is close to the wall so
releasing the draw bar is a bit tight, but I have lots of room for the "x"
axis. Love the little machine, I do as much work on it as my vertical mill.
solid machine that is not very heavy (about 1250 pounds), east to move and a
low center of gravity.

wrote:

[...]

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Waynemak wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

[ ... ]

The Nichols Miller is bigger by some amount..but still not huge.
Perhaps the size of the average small desk. I know some here have
them, perhaps they can give you some dimensions?

My Nichols is 36" from the wall to "Y" axis handle and requires about 48" of
width to have full movement of table, more space on the "x" axis is good if
you don't like bashing your fingers. My Nichols is close to the wall so
releasing the draw bar is a bit tight, but I have lots of room for the "x"
axis. Love the little machine, I do as much work on it as my vertical mill.
solid machine that is not very heavy (about 1250 pounds), east to move and a
low center of gravity.

I'm glad that you can measure the machine's footprint. Mine is
too closed in by other things. To operate it, I have to take the engine
hoist out through the garage door to gain full access. And I went
through the manual and found no documentation on the size and work
footprint.

He older version comes with a pair of pulleys which have four
grooves -- two of each size for parallel belts -- and to get the other
two speeds, you have to remove the pulleys and exchange them. For that,
you need more room behind the machine.

At the first opportunity, I acquired a set of five-speed pulleys
from a later version and machined up the necessary spindle adaptor to
use them there. (The motor end was the right size, but the spindle on
the newer versions is larger than on the older ones.) I documented that
operation on one of the sub-pages of my web page about them.

But it is a very nice machine for many operations.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564