Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y
Ophelia[_7_] Ophelia[_7_] is offline

Default Linda Barker on Working Lunch

Rod wrote:
Ophelia wrote:

I wasn't aware of that I read today that the NHS is to allow
pharmacists to change prescriptions, issued by doctors, to give
cheaper generic meds.

And I wasn't aware of that!

Already there is a major issue with thyroxine-takers getting different
effects from different 'brands'[1] each time they get their
prescriptions fulfilled. Despite being only prescribed as generic[2],
many people manage to persuade their pharmacies to stick to one brand
- but that is at the pharmacies' discretion. And even within a brand
they vary in formulation[3].

[1] All thyroxine generics in the UK have some sort of band name but
are technically generics.
[2] The odd person does get prescribed the one official brand
Eltroxin. [3] Some of these generics are actually different
formulations by dosage. That is, Goldshield 25mcg is different to
Goldshield 50mcg - but the same as Eltroxin 25mcg.

Well it doesn't bode well. In the article I read, a young woman who is
epileptic and whose fits were controlled, had her meds changed by the
pharmacist and her fits increased dangerously until her meds were changed
back There must be many better ways to save money than this