Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toyota Auris, no spare wheel

I recently bought a s-h. Toyota Auris.

When taking delivery, I demanded a lesson on how to change a wheel, or
more correctly, where was the spare, jack, lock-nut key etc.

Surprise. No spare. Just an electric pump (which is good and which I've
always carried anyway, even in a car with a spare) and a bottle of gunge.

Any comments on the effectiveness of this solution?

The lack of a spare has caused me some worry; but that having been said,
and rapidly touching wood, I haven't had to change a wheel in maybe 20
years --- an electric pump or foot pump always being able to temporarily
remedy punctures due to nails or thorns. Plus, renewing tyres well
before they are beyond the 1.6-mm legal limit.

I'd guess the gunge would be ineffective for a puncture caused by severe
kerbing or hitting a large stone? And you wouldn't want to ruin a tyre
with it if just a small relatively slow puncture.

I suppose I could buy a spare; there is space for one if the container
for the pump and gunge was removed.

Best regards,

Jon C.

--
Jonathan Campbell www.jgcampbell.com BT48, UK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan Campbell wrote:
I recently bought a s-h. Toyota Auris.

When taking delivery, I demanded a lesson on how to change a wheel, or
more correctly, where was the spare, jack, lock-nut key etc.

Surprise. No spare. Just an electric pump (which is good and which
I've always carried anyway, even in a car with a spare) and a bottle
of gunge.

Same with my car (7 seater VW Touran)

Any comments on the effectiveness of this solution?

I let you know when I have a puncture. ;-)

The lack of a spare has caused me some worry; but that having been
said, and rapidly touching wood, I haven't had to change a wheel in
maybe 20 years --- an electric pump or foot pump always being able to
temporarily remedy punctures due to nails or thorns. Plus, renewing
tyres well before they are beyond the 1.6-mm legal limit.

Like you, I've had the odd slow puncture but the pump has always got me to a
tyre depot.

I worried at first when I got my car but I rationalised that carrying that
amount of weight around all the time just doesn't make sense in this day and
age. It's a bit like carrying an umbrella *every* day, just in case it
rains. Of course, the inconvenience of a puncture is far greater than just
getting wet but I think not having a spare encourages one to keep a closer
eye on tyre wear and encourages earlier replacement (which is good for
safety if not for the planet).

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 14, 2:26*pm, Jonathan Campbell
wrote:
[...]

is a spare not a legal requirement any more?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

is a spare not a legal requirement any more?

It's as much a legal requirement now as it ever was. It's also just as
MOT-testable now as it ever was.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan Campbell wrote:
[...]

Not having a spare is no problem as long as (a) you have a can of gunge for
"normal" punctures, or (b) you're a member of a breakdown service for those
times when the sidewall gets sliced or other big problems. We had a Smart
car for 4 years (they don't have a spare) and now I've got a car that's been
converted to run on LPG so there's a 70-litre toroidal gas tank sitting in
the spare wheel well instead of the spare wheel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:26:19 +0100, Jonathan Campbell
wrote:

[...]

The only times I've had to change a wheel due to a puncture it's been
because of the severity of the puncture - either a tear in the
sidewall or a significant puncture ( such as when the power steering
pump fell apart on a Peugeot and I ran over the shaft! ). I wouldn't
drive on such tyres even after they'd been filled with foam.
Any other puncture I've had has been of the slow variety - fixable at
leisure.

If I were that worried about the cost of carrying the weight of a
spare around I think I'd rather have one, and opt for never filling
the fuel tank over half full.

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
NT gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

is a spare not a legal requirement any more?

It's as much a legal requirement now as it ever was. It's also just as
MOT-testable now as it ever was.

Not specifically mentioned here (Northern Ireland, which, oddly, has a
different MOT regime):

http://www.dvtani.gov.uk/VehicleTest...andMotorcycles

Best regards,

Jon C.

--
Jonathan Campbell www.jgcampbell.com BT48, UK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
is a spare not a legal requirement any more?

It's as much a legal requirement now as it ever was. It's also just as
MOT-testable now as it ever was.

It's only testable if it's there. Not a fail not having one.

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy Dawson wrote:
NT wrote:

is a spare not a legal requirement any more?

I don't think it's ever been a legal requirement. It's not now:

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q602.htm

Yes, I think I remember there being advice (at least man-in-the-pub
advice) to remove bald-tyred spares before an MOT.

Jon C.
--
Jonathan Campbell www.jgcampbell.com BT48, UK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 08:30:59 -0700, NT wrote:

is a spare not a legal requirement any more?

Was it ever?

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie wrote:
Jonathan Campbell wrote:
[...]

All of this is useless when you hit a pothole and buckle two wheels and
split two tyres completely..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan Campbell gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

is a spare not a legal requirement any more?

It's as much a legal requirement now as it ever was. It's also just as
MOT-testable now as it ever was.

Not specifically mentioned here (Northern Ireland, which, oddly, has a
different MOT regime):

Don't worry - it's the same with the MOT over here, too.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m3i00000101.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy Dawson gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

My understanding is that if you carry a spare it must be legal. ie have
enough tread depth etc.

Nope. You can have as many bald old tyres in your boot as you wish.

'course, if ever you have to USE the spare, it's gotta be legal the
second it hits the road...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

It's as much a legal requirement now as it ever was. It's also just as
MOT-testable now as it ever was.

It's only testable if it's there.

Even if you've got a boot full of old bald tyres, it's not testable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I recently bought a s-h. Toyota Auris.

Advise you look on the www to see how the gunge is pumped into the tyre.
It's an eye opener !

I would not like a flat tyre on a bank holiday monday in the lakes late at
night on the way home. The same applies to run flats as to tube of gunge.
Have a flat late at night and you will have a problem driving home if its a
long distance. Also run flats are not much cop if the side wall splits.At
least with a spare, even a space saver, which are no good for long distances
either or speed you can usually continue your journey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You could fill the spare with Helium :-)

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
Jonathan Campbell wrote:
[...]

Spare tyres seem to encourage some people to keep 20% of their tyres
illegal.

"Stick the bald one in the boot, it'll do in an emergency" seems a common
saying.

The spare on my van is brand new as is the spare spare I keep in the shed
(the spare spare is there so that if I get a puncture I can put a working
spare back on the van when I get home at night and drop the punctured tyre
off somewhere for repair and not waste time waiting)

Adam
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan Campbell wrote:

Any comments on the effectiveness of this solution?

Last flat I had was on a rental van. I picked it up - an hour late
because the local scrotes had let the tyres down. Apparently. 50 miles
later on the motorway strange noise from the back so I pulled over.
Tyre in three parts - tread and two walls. That's an hour from a
"professional repair", and well beyond anything you could do with a pump
and canister.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/09 14:26, Jonathan Campbell wrote:

Surprise. No spare. Just an electric pump (which is good and which I've
always carried anyway, even in a car with a spare) and a bottle of gunge.

My Honda Accord has the same, might be OK if you pick up a nail and get
a slow puncture, but didn't help me a jot when I had a puncture on the
M1, where by the time you've pulled gently over to the hard shoulder all
you've got left is a smoking shell of a tyre no amount of gunge will
help - the car's warranty did include recovery to the nearest garage
with a suitable tyre in stock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/09 16:30, NT wrote:

is a spare not a legal requirement any more?

Don't think it ever has been (however of you do carry a spare it has to
be in legal condition).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message

is a spare not a legal requirement any more?

It never has been AFAIK

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

...but unless you have a kinetic energy recovery system you will still
waste brakes stopping it and fuel and wear & tear getting it moving
again ;-))
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonathan Campbell" wrote in message
[...]

I bought my Ford Focus new in 06.
It was supplied with a spacesaver wheel but I had the option of a proper
spare for an extra £30 which I gladly paid.
Franko.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 20:37:56 +0100, Franko wrote:

[...]

I bought an S-Max in 2006, and it had no spare (and nowhere to put one).
It did include the pump and sealing kit. My wife just got a new Fusion,
and the spare wheel compartment has a circular piece of faom in it, with
cutouts for...the pump and sealing kit!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"ARWadsworth" writes:

You could fill the spare with Helium :-)

It would go flat very quickly - damn small those molecules, and
they leak out of just about everything!

A friend had this idea of taking a parcel into the post office to
be weighed for postage, but having it filled with helium, so when
the lady says please put it on the scales, it floats up to the
ceiling.

I then considered the idea of making bubble-wrap filled with
helium to make lighter parcels.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"ARWadsworth" writes:

You could fill the spare with Helium :-)

It would go flat very quickly - damn small those molecules, and
they leak out of just about everything!

A friend had this idea of taking a parcel into the post office to
be weighed for postage, but having it filled with helium, so when
the lady says please put it on the scales, it floats up to the
ceiling.

I then considered the idea of making bubble-wrap filled with
helium to make lighter parcels.

Not terribly effective though - I've tried it... You need a litre of
helium to lift about 1 gram and in small qualitities the weight of the
envelope will have to be catered for )-: Hydrogen is marignally better
- a litre lifts about 1.1 grams, but not many people like the idea of
bagged hydrogen..

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"ARWadsworth" writes:
You could fill the spare with Helium :-)

It would go flat very quickly - damn small those molecules, and
they leak out of just about everything!

A friend had this idea of taking a parcel into the post office to
be weighed for postage, but having it filled with helium, so when
the lady says please put it on the scales, it floats up to the
ceiling.

I then considered the idea of making bubble-wrap filled with
helium to make lighter parcels.

Not terribly effective though - I've tried it... You need a litre of
helium to lift about 1 gram and in small qualitities the weight of the
envelope will have to be catered for )-: Hydrogen is marignally better
- a litre lifts about 1.1 grams, but not many people like the idea of
bagged hydrogen..

Gordon

better than hydrogen would be to use
antimatter iron,
you could probably buy some off of ebay.

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 14, 8:26*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
On 14/09/09 16:30, NT wrote:

is a spare not a legal requirement any more?

Don't think it ever has been (however of you do carry a spare it has to
be in legal condition).

As pointed out in the link above, a spare tyre does NOT have to be
legal :-

"Tyres fitted to the road wheels only. The vehicle presenter should
be informed when it is noticed that there is a defective tyre on a
spare wheel."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/09 09:39, airsmoothed wrote:
On Sep 14, 8:26 pm, Andy wrote:
On 14/09/09 16:30, NT wrote:

is a spare not a legal requirement any more?

Don't think it ever has been (however of you do carry a spare it has to
be in legal condition).

As pointed out in the link above, a spare tyre does NOT have to be
legal :-

"Tyres fitted to the road wheels only. The vehicle presenter should
be informed when it is noticed that there is a defective tyre on a
spare wheel."

Oh well, another one to chalk up as urban legend then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:54:34 +0000, Huge wrote:
"Tyres fitted to the road wheels only. The vehicle presenter should
be informed when it is noticed that there is a defective tyre on a
spare wheel."

Oh well, another one to chalk up as urban legend then.

I've been labouring under that particular misapprehension for several
decades, also. And I was told it by an MOT tester... God, the number
of times I took out spare wheels for MOTs, in the days when I had no
money and ran ratty old bangers.

Interesting... me too. I thought I'd remembering seeing it in the highway
code, too ("if you have a spare it needs to be legal, but it's not a legal
requirement to carry one")

And now I'm in a part of the world where they don't even *have* MOTs...

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The only disappointment with our Auris was the lack of spare wheel.
Equipped with a bottle of gunge but no pump.
1st weekend of ownership went to a local breakers, tried various 5 stud
Toyota rims and found an unused steel 15inch
rim of perfect fit. Same rolling dia. as the supplied 17" alloys with low
profile tyres.
Rim cost a tenner. New tyre £55 fitted.
Security - priceless.

When the car is out of warranty I will replace the alloys with 15" and
higher profile tyres.
Better ride, less road noise and tyres not so readily wrecked by b*strd
traffic calming.
HTH
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Jules wrote:

Interesting... me too. I thought I'd remembering seeing it in the highway
code, too ("if you have a spare it needs to be legal, but it's not a legal
requirement to carry one")

Of course, if it were a legal requirement for any spare to be legal,
what would you do with the one you just took off due to a puncture?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote:

When the car is out of warranty I will replace the alloys with 15" and
higher profile tyres.

Look after your alloys, polish them well, and you should be able to get
a few quid from some chav who thinks they look cool.

BTW 15 inch tyres are beginning to be hard to get - at least in wide
sections.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 14, 8:26 pm, Andy wrote:
On 14/09/09 16:30, NT wrote:

is a spare not a legal requirement any more?

Don't think it ever has been (however of you do carry a spare it has to
be in legal condition).

As pointed out in the link above, a spare tyre does NOT have to be
legal :-

"Tyres fitted to the road wheels only. The vehicle presenter should
be informed when it is noticed that there is a defective tyre on a
spare wheel."

Oh well, another one to chalk up as urban legend then.

I've been labouring under that particular misapprehension for several
decades, also. And I was told it by an MOT tester... God, the number
of times I took out spare wheels for MOTs, in the days when I had no
money and ran ratty old bangers.

--
"I saw Lon Cheney walking with the Queen."
http://hyperangry.blogspot.com/

LOL, same here, must've done my back no end of good lifting spare
wheels out for no good reason. :-/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 15, 5:57 pm, "Nick" wrote:
[...]

Make sure you tell your insurance company as they MAY regard it as a
'modification'

Many tyre fitters won't touch a wheel /tyre that's had the 'gunk'
sprayed in it, as it makes it very time consuming to fit a new tyre.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

airsmoothed wrote:

Many tyre fitters won't touch a wheel /tyre that's had the 'gunk'
sprayed in it, as it makes it very time consuming to fit a new tyre.

yet more urban legend*
i fit and repair my own tyres everything from a bicycle to tractors, the gunk
makes absolutely no difference in getting a tyre off, or fitting a new one or
even repairing a puncher*just makes the job slightly more messy, but hardly
time consuming.
\0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Champ wrote:
BTW 15 inch tyres are beginning to be hard to get - at least in wide
sections.

Oh dear. Both my cars use them - 205 and 225.

--
*Fax is stronger than fiction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

BTW 15 inch tyres are beginning to be hard to get - at least in wide
sections.

Oh dear. Both my cars use them - 205 and 225.

It's true, though. Options are thinning, and prices rising. And don't
even ASK about 14" - the 195/70 14s on many later CXs (those not
inflicted with 390mm TRXs) are damn near unavailable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

BTW 15 inch tyres are beginning to be hard to get - at least in wide
sections.

Oh dear. Both my cars use them - 205 and 225.

It's true, though. Options are thinning, and prices rising. And don't
even ASK about 14" - the 195/70 14s on many later CXs (those not
inflicted with 390mm TRXs) are damn near unavailable.

Yes - 14" have been a problem for some time.

It's sad Colway are no more - they were always good for decent quality
older sizes.

--
*White with a hint of M42*