Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Nick is offline

Default Toyota Auris, no spare wheel

"Jonathan Campbell" wrote in message
I recently bought a s-h. Toyota Auris.

When taking delivery, I demanded a lesson on how to change a wheel, or
more correctly, where was the spare, jack, lock-nut key etc.

Surprise. No spare. Just an electric pump (which is good and which I've
always carried anyway, even in a car with a spare) and a bottle of gunge.

Any comments on the effectiveness of this solution?

The lack of a spare has caused me some worry; but that having been said,
and rapidly touching wood, I haven't had to change a wheel in maybe 20
years --- an electric pump or foot pump always being able to temporarily
remedy punctures due to nails or thorns. Plus, renewing tyres well before
they are beyond the 1.6-mm legal limit.

I'd guess the gunge would be ineffective for a puncture caused by severe
kerbing or hitting a large stone? And you wouldn't want to ruin a tyre
with it if just a small relatively slow puncture.

I suppose I could buy a spare; there is space for one if the container for
the pump and gunge was removed.

The only disappointment with our Auris was the lack of spare wheel.
Equipped with a bottle of gunge but no pump.
1st weekend of ownership went to a local breakers, tried various 5 stud
Toyota rims and found an unused steel 15inch
rim of perfect fit. Same rolling dia. as the supplied 17" alloys with low
profile tyres.
Rim cost a tenner. New tyre £55 fitted.
Security - priceless.

When the car is out of warranty I will replace the alloys with 15" and
higher profile tyres.
Better ride, less road noise and tyres not so readily wrecked by b*strd
traffic calming.
HTH
Nick.