Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default is this a forged steel wheel? or an antique roller-conveyor wheel,or what? (pic online)

had this thing for years (decades really). not sure what it is. think
it's most likely a small forged steel wheel - unsure, however

anybody recognize this thing? what is it, really?

http://machines.2x.nu/forged_steel_w...os/photo1.html

and, hey, got any MORE of 'em you want to sell or swap me?

OR any phenolic or iron wheels roughly the same size-ish?

if so, "let's work a hagglefest"

thanks :-)

my mechanical movies online:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...s1&view=videos

clogged-up warehouse full of swappable hardwa
http://machines.50webs.com/alpha/

other oddities sought:
http://machines.50webs.com/alpha/#wants_list
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 1, 6:34*am, dave wrote:
had this thing for years (decades really). not sure what it is. think
it's most likely a small forged steel wheel - unsure, however

anybody recognize this thing? what is it, really?

http://machines.2x.nu/forged_steel_w...os/photo1.html

Maybe a roller from an english wheel used to shape sheet metal?

Jon Banquer
San Diego, CA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jon_banquer wrote:
On Aug 1, 6:34 am, dave wrote:
had this thing for years (decades really). not sure what it is. think
it's most likely a small forged steel wheel - unsure, however

anybody recognize this thing? what is it, really?

http://machines.2x.nu/forged_steel_w...os/photo1.html

Maybe a roller from an english wheel used to shape sheet metal?

Jon Banquer
San Diego, CA

NOT! You would have a hard time shaping anything with the cast looking
surface on this item.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:
On Aug 1, 6:34 am, dave wrote:
had this thing for years (decades really). not sure what it is. think
it's most likely a small forged steel wheel - unsure, however

anybody recognize this thing? what is it, really?

http://machines.2x.nu/forged_steel_w...os/photo1.html

Maybe a roller from an english wheel used to shape sheet metal?

Jon Banquer
San Diego, CA

NOT! You would have a hard time shaping anything with the cast looking
surface on this item.

And considering that it is sitting on top of an EYEGLASS CASE shows it
to be VERY small.

I would bet it is a simple cast iron caster wheel. Very common in
industry. Used in high pressure areas and high heat locations. Used to
have a bunch of them on the rails for the sandblaster in the shop.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dave" wrote in message
had this thing for years (decades really). not sure what it is. think it's
most likely a small forged steel wheel - unsure, however

anybody recognize this thing? what is it, really?

http://machines.2x.nu/forged_steel_w...os/photo1.html

and, hey, got any MORE of 'em you want to sell or swap me?

OR any phenolic or iron wheels roughly the same size-ish?

if so, "let's work a hagglefest"

thanks :-)

my mechanical movies online:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...s1&view=videos

clogged-up warehouse full of swappable hardwa
http://machines.50webs.com/alpha/

other oddities sought:
http://machines.50webs.com/alpha/#wants_list

mcmaster.com has lots of cast iron and ductile iron wheels. (i always
thought the v grooved wheels were cool).
page 1336
let me know if this link takes you to the cast and ductile iron wheels page.
seems like the smallest one they have is 2" OD, $3.98 ea. (maybe you already
looked at mcmaster's offerings and were like "ugh, that's TOO much!")

http://www.mcmaster.com/#ductile-iron-wheels/=307sae

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 1, 7:34*am, dave wrote:
had this thing for years (decades really). not sure what it is. think
it's most likely a small forged steel wheel - unsure, however

anybody recognize this thing? what is it, really?

http://machines.2x.nu/forged_steel_w...os/photo1.html

and, hey, got any MORE of 'em you want to sell or swap me?

OR any phenolic or iron wheels roughly the same size-ish?

if so, "let's work a hagglefest"

thanks :-)

my mechanical movies online:http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...s1&view=videos

clogged-up warehouse full of swappable hardwahttp://machines.50webs.com/alpha/

other oddities sought:http://machines.50webs.com/alpha/#wants_list

Looks more like a fancy shaft collar to me. Just my 2 cents.

I've gotten 5" cast iron caster sets from the local hardware store for
my engine dolly, both straight and swivel types. IIRC, cost was less
than $10@, rated 1000lbs or better, with lube zerks.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 09:34:15 -0400, dave
wrote:

other oddities sought:
http://machines.50webs.com/alpha/#wants_list

Humm..Ive got about 15% of the stuff you are after.

However..Im in California.

Gunner

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith
becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact
equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man
because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the
person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...
There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag,
the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the
English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people.'
Theodore Ro osevelt 1907
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Humm..Ive got about 15% of the stuff you are after.

However..Im in California.

right gunner :-) I know you have it, and know you're 'way out there' on
the west coast 2400 miles from here, too (been reading here for years;
decades, really)

William Wixon wrote:

mcmaster.com has lots of cast iron and ductile iron wheels. (i always
thought the v grooved wheels were cool).
page 1336
let me know if this link takes you to the cast and ductile iron

wheels page.
seems like the smallest one they have is 2" OD, $3.98 ea. (maybe you
already
looked at mcmaster's offerings and were like "ugh, that's TOO much!")

he he, GOOD one :-). yeah, I go to mcmasters site pretty often and buy
from them too :-) seen their wheel offerings already, of course :-)
thanks for the link

it's more like "the SMALLER iron wheels they offer have axle sizes WAY
too small for the loads I intend to put on them per wheel". I can see
where you might THINK that, however :-)

I didn't want to limit my field of initial replies too much, so never
added 'also hope these tiny wheels have huge bores, too, in the inch or
just over that category' (or can be bored to same). I want to use these
wheels on axle ends, supported on one side only (not on a 'caster style'
axle, supported from both sides0. need 'em for a 'four retracting
wheels' mobile-base weldment I intend to build, to move my 500 lb unisaw
in and out of the garage...

might even end up getting eight 'sealed both sides' bearings, and using
them (2 per wheel) AS the wheels themselves (outer races would 'ride
directly on the concrete') or maybe put them inside eighth-inch wall pipe...

maybe big cam followers...

still mullin' it over, and hoping somebody has dozens of these laying
around :-)

thanks :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I knew I had seen something similar, but it took me a while to place
it. My 2.5 ton floor jack has wheels that look very similar, but
smaller and not quite as beefy... Steel axle, no bearings, held on
with big E-clips.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 12:28:53 -0400, dave
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Humm..Ive got about 15% of the stuff you are after.

However..Im in California.

right gunner :-) I know you have it, and know you're 'way out there' on
the west coast 2400 miles from here, too (been reading here for years;
decades, really)

Shipping each way isnt all that much....and we could talk a trucker into
maybe hauling the stuff cheap....

??