Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dave dave is offline

Default is this a forged steel wheel? or an antique roller-conveyor wheel,or what? (pic online)

Gunner Asch wrote:

Humm..Ive got about 15% of the stuff you are after.

However..Im in California.

right gunner :-) I know you have it, and know you're 'way out there' on
the west coast 2400 miles from here, too (been reading here for years;
decades, really)

William Wixon wrote:

mcmaster.com has lots of cast iron and ductile iron wheels. (i always
thought the v grooved wheels were cool).
page 1336
let me know if this link takes you to the cast and ductile iron

wheels page.
seems like the smallest one they have is 2" OD, $3.98 ea. (maybe you
already
looked at mcmaster's offerings and were like "ugh, that's TOO much!")

he he, GOOD one :-). yeah, I go to mcmasters site pretty often and buy
from them too :-) seen their wheel offerings already, of course :-)
thanks for the link

it's more like "the SMALLER iron wheels they offer have axle sizes WAY
too small for the loads I intend to put on them per wheel". I can see
where you might THINK that, however :-)

I didn't want to limit my field of initial replies too much, so never
added 'also hope these tiny wheels have huge bores, too, in the inch or
just over that category' (or can be bored to same). I want to use these
wheels on axle ends, supported on one side only (not on a 'caster style'
axle, supported from both sides0. need 'em for a 'four retracting
wheels' mobile-base weldment I intend to build, to move my 500 lb unisaw
in and out of the garage...

might even end up getting eight 'sealed both sides' bearings, and using
them (2 per wheel) AS the wheels themselves (outer races would 'ride
directly on the concrete') or maybe put them inside eighth-inch wall pipe...

maybe big cam followers...

still mullin' it over, and hoping somebody has dozens of these laying
around :-)

thanks :-)